Author Topic: SSpottiswood,John c1776 Stirling,Scotland  (Read 9322 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
SSpottiswood,John c1776 Stirling,Scotland
« on: Monday 14 March 05 17:06 GMT (UK) »
John Spottiswood was born c1776,Stirling(?).He was listed as a sailor,and married Agnes Scobbie in Oct 1804 in Airth,Stirling,Scot.
I believe his father could have been William and his mother Jean,(this is per naming patternof the children)
John and Agnes had 8 known children,but believe there was a few more I have yet to find or died very young.
The children were born in Airth 1800-1825 time frame.
Anyone recognize this family ?
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SSpottiswood,John c1776 Stirling,Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 05 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello ajjbc,

This might be a complete wild goose chase but as Spottiswood is quite an unusual name I thought you'd like to know there's a Spottiswood Family grave in Denny Cemetery, Denny, Stirlingshire.

The people you mention are not listed directly but this lot might be relations - Airth isn't that far away from Denny - and there is an Agnes Scobie mentioned!

In loving memory of MICHAEL SPOTTISWOOD died 18th January 1880
And his wife MARY CALDWELL died 18th November 1891,
also their family
JOHN died 28th February 1847
WILLIAM died 29th November 1849
DAVID died 15th October 1854
JANE died 13th December 1869               
MICHAEL died 20th February 1869
MARY died 31st January 1873
JAMES died 3rd December 1874
AGNES SCOBIE died 15th May 1880                                                                   

Erected by Janet Spottiswood in loving memory of her husband ROBERT MILLAR
Died 9th October 1871
Also their family
MARY CALDWELL died 19th January 1870
ROBINA died 11th June 1875
ROBERT died 21st April 1890
The above JANET SPOTTISWOOD died 9th March 1919 aged 80 years

In loving memory of JAMES SPOTTISWOOD beloved husband of Margaret Millar
Died 9th June 1933?
Also MARGARET TAYLOR MILLAR or SPOTTISWOOD
Remainder of Stone eroded

Hope this helps

Anne.

P.S. I also have photographs of the above stone but I'm not sure how to attach them to this board.

Offline djs1944

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hello apanderson
I have read your extract from the Spottiswood family tombstone with interest. Michael was the brother of my ancestor. The Agnes Scobie mentioned here is a daughter of Michael, no doubt named after her grandmother Agnes Scobie. Janet was another daughter.
My ancestor, Michael's brother John (1805-1875) married Martha Matilda Anderson (born 1806, Scotland) in Lanark, Glasgow in 1827, and after 5 children she died in Montreal in 1842. He then married Catherine Anderson (born 1811, Argyleshire, father James Anderson, mother Mary Wood) in Upper Canada in 1844, and after 5 more children she died in Melbourne, Australia in 1868. I often wonder if they were sisters.
Are they relatives of yours?

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi djs,

No they're not any relation.

I was only replying to the message which had already been posted by ajjbc.

I never received a reply so I don't know whether or not I found relations - it was the Agnes Scobie which I thought at the time might tie up.

I'm an obsessive 'graveyarder' and am trying to photograph and transcribe as many Churchyards and Cemeterieds as I can in my area of Central Stirlingshire. (Denny, Dennyloanhead, Dunipace, Bonnybridge, and Larbert)
If there's any of your missing relatives in any of these locations, let me know and I'll see if I can find them for you.

The older Graveyards have already been transcribed and have been published (Pre-1855's East & West Stirlingshire by Mitchell & Mitchell) They were done back in the late sixties and early seventies but a good number of the stones standing and legible then are far from that now! Again, if you don't have access to these publications, I can have a wee look for you.

Anne

Offline djs1944

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Anne
Thanks for the very prompt response.
I have an ancestor James Spottiswood who died 1780 and is buried in Dunipace church graveyard. I would like to track down his parents. He was the "laird of Dunipace" so it should be possible. Any clues or help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 21:20 BST (UK) »
Dave,   are you ready??

This is a copy of what appears in the pre-1855 MI Book (by Mitchell & Mitchell) for West Stirlingshire, surveyed in 1969.

No.102
(Large marble headstone standing apart from the others)
Jas Spottiswoode of Dunipace 1780, w Barbara Syme 1801, chn Mary 1835, Charlotte 1836, Thos of Dunipace 1837;John Harvie-Brown .6.1801 .10.1880, w Eliz H.-B. 14.5.1807 27.6.1888 (da of Thos S. of Dunipace & Eliz Allan d India 1808 19, who was da of Thos A. & Eliz Colvin) (see 135 infra);
John Alexander H.-B. of Dunipace, Quarter & Shirgarton LLD FRSE FZS son of the above 27.8.1841 26.7.1916 ("The Lands and Lairds of Dunipace" by John C. Gibson, Stirling, 1903, says the estate of Dunipace was sold in 1755 by John Russell WS to Jas Spottiswood, whose gda Eliz was w of John H.-B., whose s was the "present proprietor")

The 135 infra refers to this next entry:

No. 135
1791; Jas Allan; Eliz Colvin

Following me???

Translated . . . . .

Interred Here                                 
(Left Side of Stone)
JAMES SPOTTISWOODE of Dunipace who died in 1780
And BARBARA SYME his spouse who died in 1801
Also their children
MARY SPOTTISOODE who died in 1835
CHARLOTTE SPOTTISWOODE who died in 1836
And THOMAS SPOTTISWOODE of Dunipace who died in 1837

(Centre of Stone)
JOHN HARVIE-BROWN born June 1801 died October 1880
ELIZABETH HARVIE-BROWN spouse of the above
Born 14th May 1807 died 27th June 1888
Daughter of Thomas Spottiswoode of Dunipace
And ELIZABETH ALLAN who died in India 1808 Aged 19
Daughter of James Allan and Elizabeth Colvin

(Right Side of Stone)
JOHN ALEXANDER HARVIE-BROWN of Dunipace, Quarter and Chirgarton
L.L.D., F.R.S.E., F.Z.S. son of the above
Born 27th August 1844 died 26th July 1913         

(Separate Stone)
JAMES ALLAN
ELIZABETH COLVIN

I have photographs of both of the above stones - if you want copies, send me a personal message with your e-mail and I'll send them through

Anne

P.S. There is also some info on "The Lands and Lairds of Dunipace Parishes" by John C. Gibson - it says - "a valuable book of references to past lairds and their connections; the index gives all names of persons in full"

Might be worthwhile trying to get a hold of a copy.

Offline spottiswood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 October 05 02:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am interested in your message, see below, as it is about my ancestors. It would be much appreciated if you could make contact, re the possibility of obtaining a copy of the photos you mentioned of the tombstones.

Paul Spottiswood
Brisbane,
Australia
Dave,   are you ready??

This is a copy of what appears in the pre-1855 MI Book (by Mitchell & Mitchell) for West Stirlingshire, surveyed in 1969.

No.102
(Large marble headstone standing apart from the others)
Jas Spottiswoode of Dunipace 1780, w Barbara Syme 1801, chn Mary 1835, Charlotte 1836, Thos of Dunipace 1837;John Harvie-Brown .6.1801 .10.1880, w Eliz H.-B. 14.5.1807 27.6.1888 (da of Thos S. of Dunipace & Eliz Allan d India 1808 19, who was da of Thos A. & Eliz Colvin) (see 135 infra);
John Alexander H.-B. of Dunipace, Quarter & Shirgarton LLD FRSE FZS son of the above 27.8.1841 26.7.1916 ("The Lands and Lairds of Dunipace" by John C. Gibson, Stirling, 1903, says the estate of Dunipace was sold in 1755 by John Russell WS to Jas Spottiswood, whose gda Eliz was w of John H.-B., whose s was the "present proprietor")

The 135 infra refers to this next entry:

No. 135
1791; Jas Allan; Eliz Colvin

Following me???

Translated . . . . .

Interred Here                                 
(Left Side of Stone)
JAMES SPOTTISWOODE of Dunipace who died in 1780
And BARBARA SYME his spouse who died in 1801
Also their children
MARY SPOTTISOODE who died in 1835
CHARLOTTE SPOTTISWOODE who died in 1836
And THOMAS SPOTTISWOODE of Dunipace who died in 1837

(Centre of Stone)
JOHN HARVIE-BROWN born June 1801 died October 1880
ELIZABETH HARVIE-BROWN spouse of the above
Born 14th May 1807 died 27th June 1888
Daughter of Thomas Spottiswoode of Dunipace
And ELIZABETH ALLAN who died in India 1808 Aged 19
Daughter of James Allan and Elizabeth Colvin

(Right Side of Stone)
JOHN ALEXANDER HARVIE-BROWN of Dunipace, Quarter and Chirgarton
L.L.D., F.R.S.E., F.Z.S. son of the above
Born 27th August 1844 died 26th July 1913         

(Separate Stone)
JAMES ALLAN
ELIZABETH COLVIN

I have photographs of both of the above stones - if you want copies, send me a personal message with your e-mail and I'll send them through

Anne

P.S. There is also some info on "The Lands and Lairds of Dunipace Parishes" by John C. Gibson - it says - "a valuable book of references to past lairds and their connections; the index gives all names of persons in full"

Might be worthwhile trying to get a hold of a copy.

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 October 05 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Welcome to Rootschat!

If you can PM me with your personal e-mail address, I'll send you copies of the photographs.

Is it only the one in Dunipace you want or the other referred to in an earlier message buried in Denny.

Anne

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 23:40 BST (UK) »
Here is one more Spottiswood:

TO THE MEMORY
of
CHARLES SPOTTISWOODE
late Merchant in Singapore
whose remains are here interred
Born 21 December 1812
Died 13th June 1858

Charles SPOTTISWOODE was a respected merchant, he was living at his residence "Spottiswoode Park" at the time of his death

Mike