Author Topic: Prison Records for Kingston Penitentiary, Ontario  (Read 9811 times)

Offline Lesley21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Prison Records for Kingston Penitentiary, Ontario
« on: Sunday 03 January 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I'm quite new to researing my family history and wondered if someone could point me in the right direction.

A bit of background...... my G Grandfather Walter C E Blythe (born 1872 in Yorkshire) and his wife Amelia Consitt (borm 1870 in Yorkshire) emigated to Canada. Walter went in 1903 whilst Amelia was expecting their first child John and Amelia followed on later, Walter and Amelia had a second child Dora in Ontario in 1906. On 3rd January 1909 Walter murdered Amelia and I have got various newpaper articles from the Toronto Daily Star telling the horrendous details. The children were brought back to England by their Grandmother and Walter was convicted and sent to Kingston Penitentiary, Ontario. By the time Walter died in 1923 he was a free man.

What I am trying to find is the prison records for Kingston Penitentiary, I have tried online but unless I am missing something (which is very possible), the only way I can view the records is in person. Does anyone know if it possible to get any information about his time in prison and the details of his release.

Many thanks

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Records for Kingston Penitentiary, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 10 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

Was the crime committed in Toronto? 

Kingston Pen. is a federal facility, however the Ontario Archives have alot of the prison records.  I have obtained prison records from them before.  They are under the Freedom of Information.  It costs $5.00 and you need to send a request to the Ontario Achives and then of course any photocopies you are charged as well.

http://ao.minisisinc.com/scripts/mwimain.dll/718/1/1?RECLIST

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Lesley21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 10 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Karen

Yes the murder happened in Toronto. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

Lesley

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 January 10 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Your welcome.

They should have a record of when he was first arrested and put into a "holding" facility until his trial and sentence.

I would send off a letter stating exactly what you know, dates and such and include a copy of Walter's death certificate.

I think I have the email/contact of the person who is in charge of the files of the Information under the Freedom Act.  I'll find it and send it to you in a pm.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 10 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Kingston Pen. is a federal facility,

I believe it's the length of the sentence, not where the crime was committed that determines where a prisoner is sent. Short sentences will net a stay in a provincial jail (now it's sentences that are 2 years minus a day or less I believe) while longer ones will make you a guest of a federal pen. I can't say for sure if it's always been that way but I believe it has been for quite a while.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 10 00:02 GMT (UK) »
HI Jacquie,

Yes, you are right.

I was just wondering where the crime took place so that Lesley could perhaps obtain the records from when he was in a holding cell, prior to being sentenced and shipped off to Kingston.

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline karenen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 July 10 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley, my name is Karen.  Amelia Consitt was my great great grandmother. I have obtained records for Walter Blythe through the Canadian Archives and they advised me that they did not have prison records. They could not provide burial details either for Walter and Amelia. Apparently if they were not claimed they were generally buried in a common grave etc. My grandmother was Rosamund Dora Blythe (Rosie) and her brother was Reg. An aunt of mine told me that Rosie and Reg were brought back to UK by Uncle Albert from Consitt family? Information obtained was a few years ago now, they may have released other documents? Kingston Penetentiary was apparently a harsh prison and conditions were not good. Do you have detals of Walter's crime and letters of protest regarding his treatment? Would like to hear from you. Karenn.

Offline Lesley21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen, Rosie's brother Reggie (John Reginald Blythe) was my Grandad. After Walter murdered Amelia, Amelia's mother Adah went straight to Canada and brought the children home to Yorkshire. Rosie stayed with her Grandmother and Reggie was sent to a private school in Pocklington.

I have some newspaper articles from the 'Toronto Daily Star' which even has photos of Walter, Amelia, Reggie and Rosie at the time of the murder. I can email them to you if you like. I also have our family tree on Ancestry.co.uk which I can share with you. I don't know any details about Rosie and her decendants so hopefully you will be able to help me fill that in.   Lesley x

Offline karenen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 July 10 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley, it's so nice to meet you, I have been considering searching for Reggie's family! I would dearly love to see a photo of them from Canada, wow I am overwhelmed by some of the information people have. I have received lots of info from Canadian Archives but no photo's. I am hoping that there will be some prison records and maybe letters from people back home and also where did Rosie and Reg stay and with whom in Canada. What a story! I would love to know burial details as well. Will await your reply. My email is (*)  best wishes Karen.

* Moderator Comment:  Email address removed in accordance with Rootschat.  Please use Personal Message (PM) system to exchange personal information.