Author Topic: the "bloody" Bells from middlebie  (Read 21216 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: the "bloody" Bells from middlebie
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 June 14 01:35 BST (UK) »
Perhaps related somewhere along the line, so just throwing it into the mix in this old thread:

I am researching Bells from Canonbie ... Francis Bell chr 17 Oct 1768 in Lymiecleugh, Canonbie.

His father is also Francis but I have no dates, place of birth or other information about him. He marries Margaret Nichol who was born in 1733. Would be interested in taking this Bell line further back.

The line I am following descends through Francis 1768 then his son William.

I have a little information about this Bell line and would be interested in hearing from others who have this family in their tree.

Presumably the reference to "bloody" Bells may refer to their propensity for feuding where much blood was likely to have been spilled.

Offline Gillybell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 July 14 09:36 BST (UK) »
Would love to be in contact with Serrafianna as we are definitely descended from. The same Francis Bell of Middlebie.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
William Bell (born1806 at Middlebie,) married Janet Thompsn (born 1810 at Middlebie). The Marriage was at Annan on 1st, November, 1831.  Any one out there related?
They moved to Carlisle afer a few years and three(?) children.  (Mary-c13 Jan 1831, Robert-c9 dec 1833, William--1838, John-1841, Jane-1841((twins?)), James-1843, Eleanor-1848, Robert-1850.)
I don't know of any siblings or parents yet.  Anyone have any further information?
Many thnks for an other leads.
                 David

I am stuck here too having gone back through the son (my 2GGF)  John born in Carlisle. The marriage entry from Annan says " William Bell in this parish and Janet Thomson in the parish of Middlebie were lawfully married on the 1st November 1831"

I wondered if WB was from Annan or had just moved there from Middlebie?

Dave

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline weesieweasel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry for reviving a dead board but I have a Mary Bell in my tree. She married William Little, their son was Christopher Little. I believe his son, George Little, was the last in my line to live in Hutton and Corrie (or thereabouts). The family moved to Bristol

William = Mary Bell
Christopher = Mary ?
George = Mary Rowe
William = Sarah Boobier
Henry  = Kate Crew
James = Emily Plumley
James = still living
My father = my mother
Me!
Little - Dumfries (Clan Little) and Bristol
Moule
Perks
Taylor
Helsdon - Norfolk
Grix - Norfolk
Jenkins
Gainford - husbands family (which also contains Littles from Cumbria!)

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 October 16 21:27 BST (UK) »
Folks I have Bridget Bell in my tree (1731-1797) who was married to James Currie, both died at Woodlands, Hoddam. I have no idea who her parents were.
Their granddaughter Rachel Currie was my 3rd grt grandmother and was married to john Burnet from Middlebie and they stayed at Peatknowes Farm . Middlebie
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find parents of Robert Bell born around 1810 middlebie, who married Catharine Kirpatrick 5th december 1837 at Brydekirk. I found a Robert (born 1776) & Jane  (born 1786)Bell at Upper Brydekirk in 1841 census with children called Nicholas, Jannet, Walter, Thomas & James. Robert & Catherine's children were called John, Jean, Jane, Janet, Josephine, Robert, Sarah, James, Catharine, Nicholas, Thomas & Walter. Am wondering if Robert & Jane could be Robert's parents.
So many Bells, so may options!!!
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle

Offline kookaburra8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 01:40 BST (UK) »
To add to the Bell mix - my g-g-grandmother was Mary Bell (1813-1886) of Neuk, Middlebie. She m. Rev Joseph Currie Lorraine (1810-1894) from Half Morton. Mary's parents were John Bell (1785-1850) and Janet Davidson. John's parents were William Bell and (possibly) Margaret Edgar.

Offline Stephen Szikora

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 July 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
I’m researching my wife’s Bell family line and I think they trace back from Canada to Middlebie but through Ireland. I am finding it difficult to trace from Ireland to Middlebie. Apparently there was a church fire that destroyed some of the relevant records in Ireland. I believe some Middlebie Bells left during the Ulster Plantation and ended up in Glenavy, County Antrim. The farthest back we have gotten is William James Bell born 1760, died 1845 in Glenavy. His son was Francis Bell, and his son was Francis Charles Bell. The use of the names William and Francis within the family in Glenavy is not likely coincidence and therefore probably linked to the Middlebie Bells mentioned in this thread. Both the Francis Bells, father and son, along with the other children emigrated to Canada in 1850, to Oro, in Simcoe county, Ontario. If anyone has information on any of the Middlebie Bells moving to Ulster during the time of the Plantation, it would be appreciated.

Offline azuresky_us

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 September 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
I have an Elizabeth Bell / Beall born about 1780-1800 that married beneath her station to a Shannon against her father's wishes. After childbirth, 2 boys and a girl, they sailed to Ontario, Canada where Shannon died. She then married my George Bradley in 1829 who was born in New Malton, Yorkshire. I Have traced family info back to the marriage of Bell and Bradley but nothing in Scotland and would love to know more. I also descend from William Douglas, 6th Baron of Drumlanrig, as discovered through my cousin's YDNA test results. If anyone has info on Elizabeth...sibs, parents etc. it would would greatly appreciated.