Author Topic: Penfolds in Kent - circus folk?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline BeccaH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Penfolds in Kent - circus folk?
« on: Sunday 03 January 10 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I have posted on here before but I really seem to have hit a brick wall, so I thought I'd give it another try and see if any of you can help in any way. 
I feel a bit of a fraud being on here, though, because my main problem is that I can find no link at all to travellers, despite numerous family stories. 

My own Penfold link goes back quite a long way - to a Sophia Penfold who married James Mills in 1832, in Edenbridge, Kent.  There are lots of stories, both in my branch of the family and in another branch I have managed to get in touch with (one of Sophia's brothers' lines) that the Penfolds were a circus family.  There are also possible stories of a connection to the Pettigroves.  This all fits with general research into the Penfold name, but I can find no actual evidence of travellers or the circus.  On my own line, I have gone back into the eighteenth century, and I have traced as many lines of cousins as I can - but still nothing. 

I'm now trying to start from the other direction as a last ditch attempt.  If anyone has any details at all about a Penfold circus connection in Kent (or the surrounding counties), particularly with a Pettigrove connection, I would be very grateful.  I have many names and dates which I can share if anyone thinks they may be able to help.

Thanks very much,

B
Harris - Isle of Wight/Surrey
Mills, Penfold - Kent
Patrick - Norfolk
Corner, Barnard, Aucock - Sussex
Turner, Siddle, Dodds - County Durham
Burton, Chapman - Yorkshire
Waite - West Bromwich/Lincolnshire
Nisbet - Edinburgh/Ayrshire
MacMillan, Hay - Ayrshire/County Antrim (N. Ireland)
Fraser, MacDonald, Baillie - Inverness-shire
Northumberland, general

Offline Spursbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Penfolds in Kent - circus folk?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
Pettigrove connection to Circus is via Charlotte Yelding m Richard Pettigrove.  Her sister was Emma Fossett nee Yelding was married to Robert Fossett. 
One Penfold Pettigrove marriage
Nora Pettigrove m Thomas  Penfold.   Kent.   One son.  Pm for details
Nora my GDads sister.
Pettigrove. - any area and country.
Lee. Gypsy - Kent area .
Yelding.Hornby.Frost. Fossett,Travelling showmen and circus connections.
Adams.Tomlin.Penfold.Rossiter. Baker.Keefe.Allen my Kent connections.
Baker - Canterbury
Tanner. Eastbourne and  Horsham area.
Rout . Brighton

Whitehead- Burnley Lancs.