Author Topic: KIDD,DAVID c1730 Angus,Scot.  (Read 12842 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
KIDD,DAVID c1730 Angus,Scot.
« on: Monday 14 March 05 17:58 GMT (UK) »
David Kidd was born c 1730 in Angus Co,Scot.
He married Lillias Fleming in 1753 in Inverarity & Nethy,Angus Co.
They had 10 known children born to them in Dundee,Angus Co. Scot.
I am a direct line from their youngest child Margaret,who married a SKENE BLAIR.
Her brother Robert,married an Elisabeth Watson in 1787
Anyone else researching this family?
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline DJK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: KIDD,DAVID c1730 Angus,Scot.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 05 12:19 BST (UK) »
I am a direct line from their youngest child Margaret,who married a SKENE BLAIR.
I've stumbled upon this website by chance and came across your request as my name is David Kidd.  Obviously I'm not the one you're looking for but my family all come from Angus in Scotland and many of them live around Dundee.  I wonder whether there is a family connection?

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 June 05 15:08 BST (UK) »
Lillias Fleming (1731) and David Kidd (1730) married in 1753 and had 10 known children ,born between 1754 and 1770.
I have so far only been able to trace 2,Margaret born 1770 (my line) and Robert Kidd born 1759 (his sister).Robert married an Elizabeth Watson in 1787in Dundee and had 2 known children so far,David born 1788 and Isabell born 1790.
Margaret Kidd born 1770 married Skene Blair in 1798.

Skene Blair (1771) and Margaret Kidd had 9 known children born in Forfar ,Angus,Scot,the no 9 child being named David.This  family came eventually to Canada settling in Ontario.
Do you have any info on your family background/ would be interesting to see if there is a connection.
Keep in touch.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline DJK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 07:14 BST (UK) »
Lillias Fleming (1731) and David Kidd (1730) married in 1753 and had 10 known children ,born between 1754 and 1770.
I have so far only been able to trace 2,Margaret born 1770 (my line) and Robert Kidd born 1759 (his sister).Robert married an Elizabeth Watson in 1787in Dundee and had 2 known children so far,David born 1788 and Isabell born 1790.
Margaret Kidd born 1770 married Skene Blair in 1798.

Skene Blair (1771) and Margaret Kidd had 9 known children born in Forfar ,Angus,Scot,the no 9 child being named David.This  family came eventually to Canada settling in Ontario.
Do you have any info on your family background/ would be interesting to see if there is a connection.
Keep in touch.
Hi there, and thanks for the reply.  I'll check with my parents to see what family information we have and how far back it goes, and also whether they know of any of the names you've mentioned.  The Canadian connection is interesting - when my father was on holiday in New Zealand a couple of years ago, he met someone who swore that he was the spitting image of a friend of theirs who lived in Canada.  My father gave his details to them just in case, but never heard anything.  He also checked with his family and a number of them were certain that some of their close relatives had migrated from Scotland to live in Canada.

Offline Skidd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 09:13 BST (UK) »

I think I may have some stuff that *might* tie in here...

I have gotten back to a Thomas Kidd who married a Margaret Hackney (I think, hard to read) in Kettins, Forfar.

Interestingly, they had several children, one of whom - Alexander Kidd married Elizabeth Paterson who in turn had a son James Paterson Kidd that Married an Elizabeth Watson Ironside.

I wonder if these families tie in at more than one point in the branch?

Offline Aminta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 01:42 BST (UK) »
I found a David Kidd today connected to the Creswick family in Dundee.  I am looking for the family of John Creswick who married Mary Ann High in Dundee in 1851.  On the 1881 Dundee, Forfar census, he is gone and his wife Mary Ann Cresswick is head of household.  Living with her are her two daughters, Ellen and Mary Ann Creswick KYD, plus two grandchildren - Mary Ann Creswick KYD, age 6 and Lilly C. KYD, age 2.  They are living on Barry Road and daughter Mary Ann KYD is a Linen Weaver.

Mary Ann married David KIDD (not spelled KYD like the censustaker did) 24 Nov 1873 in Dundee.

John and Mary's son, John William Creswick, was born 09 Feb 1851 in Dundee.  He immigrated to the United States in 1879 according to census records.

The family is trying to find out as much as they can, of course.  They think his family raised sheep on the border, but he was definitely Scottish.  Do you know the Kidd connection? 

Creswick, Borland, Johnston/Johnson, Craig, Ellington, Seuell, Brooks, Stitt, McFadden, Howatt, Staniforth, Bagshaw, Scargill, Ross, Leyden, Gray, Cochran, Gowdy, Holland, West, Russell, Anderson, Scott

Offline Skidd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 04:50 BST (UK) »
I found a David Kidd today connected to the Creswick family in Dundee.  I am looking for the family of John Creswick who married Mary Ann High in Dundee in 1851.  On the 1881 Dundee, Forfar census, he is gone and his wife Mary Ann Cresswick is head of household.  Living with her are her two daughters, Ellen and Mary Ann Creswick KYD, plus two grandchildren - Mary Ann Creswick KYD, age 6 and Lilly C. KYD, age 2.  They are living on Barry Road and daughter Mary Ann KYD is a Linen Weaver.

Mary Ann married David KIDD (not spelled KYD like the censustaker did) 24 Nov 1873 in Dundee.

John and Mary's son, John William Creswick, was born 09 Feb 1851 in Dundee.  He immigrated to the United States in 1879 according to census records.

The family is trying to find out as much as they can, of course.  They think his family raised sheep on the border, but he was definitely Scottish.  Do you know the Kidd connection? 

Sorry Aminta, that isn't a family that has turned up in my KIDD research, but I'll add it to my lookout list for you and I'll let you know if I find anything that ties in.

Cheers,

Andrew

Offline Andrew Forman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 January 06 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Capt James Kyd RN who died in 1793 in Elie,Fife, sold the family estates of Craigie (Dundee) and Woodhill. I am trying to find his parents.
His uncle was Thomas Kyd, Wine Merchant in Leith, father of Col. Robert Kyd(1745-1793).
I have found reference to several Testaments (including another Thomas Kyd 1673, son of James Kyd of Craigie , which I have read; William of Woodhill, James of Craigie 1662 and (presumably) siblings Elspet 1656, and William 1663), but have not been able to find the connection (i.e Capt Kyd's parents).
I wonder if anyone can help with any suggestions please. Could the David, born 1730 be a brother?

Offline Kidd_DNAtest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 January 11 12:42 GMT (UK) »
David,

I was wondering if you might be interested in testing your yDNA to search for Kidd lineage matches in the Dundee area. My lineage comes from Fife, but likely derives from Dundee, and there is another Fife line that has tested at FamilyTreeDNA (who hold the most comprehensive database). These tests can establish an approximate Time to Most Recent Common Ancestor (TMRCA), if they are near matches. My pure paternal paper trail has two David Kidds from Fife in it.

Regards, Derek