Author Topic: McAlary/McClary help re Native Place  (Read 26228 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McAlary/McClary help re Native Place
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 January 10 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Bridget McElhinney, Brockaboy still alive in 1929 (mentioned in connection with Land Purchase Commission- to do with purchase of their property).
Also found more on McElhinneys but will wait to see how it ties in.

PRONI Will Extracts-
"The Will of John Bradley late of Tamneyrankin County Londonderry Farmer who died 5 March 1890 at same place was proved at Londonderry by William Shannon of Coolbane in said County Farmer one of the Executors." (Bradley children with Shannons in 1911 census)

"The Will of Francis O'Connor late of Drumsurn County Londonderry Farmer and Publican who died 30 June 1893 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the Reverend Edward Loughrey of Dungiven P.P. and Hugh Shannon of Coolbaun Farmer both in said County the Executors."

"Probate of the Will of John M'Peak late of Ballydullaghan County Londonderry Farmer who died 1 August 1898 granted at Londonderry to Hugh M'Cahon of Slevna County Antrim and William Shannon of Coolbane Garvagh County Londonderry Farmers."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I have started to look at all the info so generously provided and continue to find more interesting things including the existence of the Widow Rose McNicholl as a tenant in 1863 in the townland of Cuilbane as mentioned in a previous posting.  For the interest of those contributing and for future Rootschatters who may have an interest in this family I note the following:

Daniel McAlary as mentioned previously was the son of Neal/Neil McAlary and Mary McNicol (the Widow Rose maybe some connection). In Aust they had about 8 children including Hugh, David, John, Daniel, Bernard, Matilda Ann.

Daniel had a brother, Neal, who I suspect is the one aged 87yrs in the 1911 census. We believe that Neal married a Mary Keilt or Keilty.  We know that Neal and Mary had at least 3 children, Daniel, Mary Anne and Rose.  All three of Neal's children came to Aust in the early 1880s.

Two sets of cousins then married in Aust: Daniel & Martha's son, Bernard married Neil & Mary's daughter, Rose; Daniel & Martha's son, John, married Neil and Mary's daughter, Mary Anne.

So it is likely that the widow Rose McNicholl is related to Mary McNicol the mother of the brothers Daniel and Neil.

Any information on Rose would be greatly appreciated if not too much trouble.  I will look at the Griffth valuation records to see what I can find.

With thanks, Anniebelle.
McDowell, Co Cavan, Co Monaghan-NSW
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Tipperary-Vic, NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Kennedy, Co Tipperary-Vic, NSW
McAlary, McIlhinney, Keilt, McNichol, Shannon Co Derry-Vic, NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Lyons/Hynes Co Kildare-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW
Meyer, Heist, Germany-Vic
Goldsmith, Gordon, Wall, Co Wexford-Vic,NSW
Fraser, Hassard, Fermanagh, St Helens, Lancashire-Vic

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Will have a look tomorrow but unfortunately McNicholl is probably the most common surname in Brockaboy area! It's now sleeting and snowing outside (again) so good chance my friend will also be snowed in and I'll hopefully be able to contact her.

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Just in case it does connect to your family-

1863 Ironmongers' Note on Tenants- Cuilbane
Widow Martha Shannon (35 acres _ rods 32 perches) annual rent £11 10s. Three sons, two grandchildren, two servants. Asks for lime and bricks to build the byre; also wants to repair the road. Worthy of attention.
I note this detail on the Griffths valuation.  Is this something that is available on line.  I couldn't seem to see it on the ask about ireland site.  Are these comments made very often. I would like to look for other comments on the various McAlary, McIlhinney, Shannon, McNicholl names that have emerged.

I hope the snow is not causing too much difficulty.  We have rare flooding occuring in parts of Eastern Aust at present ( not affecting me, but my very elderly mother was evacuted for a couple of days) In the West of AUst there are busfires and very high heat . As usual a country of extreme conditions.

Thanks, Anniebelle.
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 08:20 GMT (UK) »
The 1863 notes are from the Ironmongers Company who were one of the local landlords and covers only their properties. A deputation from London would come over every few years to make inspections, etc. and the 1863 notes, which are wonderfully detailed, still survive. I have the 1863 notes and a 1886 tenants list which just gives name, acreage and rent.
Griffith's Valuation (1859) on the AskAboutIreland site has a link for viewing the printed page and that's all the information on Griffith's.

I also have index from Tithe Applotment Books-
Errigal Parish: Brockaghbuoy- Hugh McElhinny, James McIlhinny
Desertoghill Parish: Coolbane- Hugh Shannon, James Shannon
                               Moyletra-Toy- Daniel McLary, Neily McLary, Widow McLary

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 07:11 GMT (UK) »
I have also noticed a Bernard Keelt and a Jame Keelt at Moyletra Toy who are probably related to Mary Keilt/Keelt who married Neal McAlary.  So all the names in the family records are appearing in either Moyletra Toy or Cuilbane, Desertoghil or Brockaboy in Errigal Parish which is excellent.  I will do some analysis to see if something might come up in the 1911 Census or if there are any Parish records still existing which may be worth following up.

I would like to express my thanks for the wonderful assistance you have offered.  It has been my first success in working out something about how Irish records work so has been an education for me.

Thank you,
Anniebelle.
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW

Offline Sheila8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 January 10 04:08 GMT (UK) »
I have 3 valuations of Brockaghboy. Griffiths 1858-1859 shows lot # 3 James McElheny Jr. and lot 4 James McElheny Sen. Valuation of 1881-1889, lot 3 William Shannon, lot 4 Patrick McIlhenry, overwritten with the name Bridget. Valuation of 1901-1910, lot 3 William Shannon overwritten with the name Daniel O'Kane, lot 4 Bridget McIlhenry.

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 11 January 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I will start trying to piece together the various members of the family to see where they fit it.  I appreciate your help.  Anniebelle
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 28 January 10 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Have spoken to friend tonight and no McElhinney connection about Brockabuoy in her time- thinks last of the family here must have died out. Thought they were also called O'Kane but unfortunately no more information.