Author Topic: McAlary/McClary help re Native Place  (Read 26226 times)

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McAlary/McClary help re Native Place
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 January 10 02:52 GMT (UK) »
I cannot say Thank you enough to Aghadowey, Sheila8 and akanex2 for your interest, your efforts and your skills in helping me.

Based on your postings I now feel confident that my family lived in a relatively small area around Garvagh. 

At present I have put together the various names and dates to try and work out possible relationships.  My next aim is to work out whether there are some birth, deaths & marriages under the civil registrations which might clarify some relationships.  As these are quite expensive I want to be certain, before ordering, that there will be useful information to link back to the Griffth Valuation names and Tithe Applotment Books.  It is unfortunate that there are few surviving Parish records.

In the 18 months since I have been interested in Family History and going back 5 generations I find that I am 90% Irish, the last arriving in Australia in 1881.  I think this means that at some point in the future I will have to visit Ireland for a trip looking at graveyards, parish records and the archives in Dublin and Belfast -already saving my pennies!  At this stage the counties I have to visit are Londonderry, Down, Antrim, Monaghan, Cavan, Fermanagh, Kildare, Tipperary and Wexford - quite a journey!

Thank you again.  You have helped a lot and I have great direction for the future.

Anniebelle
McDowell, Co Cavan, Co Monaghan-NSW
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Tipperary-Vic, NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Kennedy, Co Tipperary-Vic, NSW
McAlary, McIlhinney, Keilt, McNichol, Shannon Co Derry-Vic, NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Lyons/Hynes Co Kildare-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW
Meyer, Heist, Germany-Vic
Goldsmith, Gordon, Wall, Co Wexford-Vic,NSW
Fraser, Hassard, Fermanagh, St Helens, Lancashire-Vic

Offline CPMCA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 05 April 10 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Anniebelle,

Your ancestor Neil lived in the Grove with his 2 brothers John and Daniel. John was my great great grandfather. You should get a copy of a book called "The Names McAlary" by Diane Menzies and Bernard McAlary (From Tottenham NSW). It documents the history of the McAlary family in Australia and traces the family tree back to the Grove. It was published in 1987. If I can be of any further help please let me know.

CPMCA

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 April 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the response.

I have a copy of the book which is quite interesting. I am descended from both Neil and Daniel as a result of cousins marrying in the next generation. Daniel emigrated to Aust in 1844 as did several of Neil's children around 1880. I have a fairly good record of what happened to the family in Aust. .  Did your ancestor, John, stay in Ireland or emigrate? Do you have much information on the family in Ireland particularly the generation of Neil, Daniel and John and their parents or earlier?

Anniebelle
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW

Offline CPMCA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 April 10 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hello again Cousin,

John stayed in Ireland and most of his decendants are still here, although some ended up in USA and more recently, some have gone to Australia. I grew up in Kilrea close to the Grove. The walls of the old homestead at the Grove were still there up until last year when the site was cleared and a new house built. Many of my family still live in Kilrea. No-one has been able to trace back any further than John, Neil & Daniel as all earlier church records were destroyed in a fire. There is mention of a Frank McAlary living in Dullaghy (near the Grove) in the 1700's but we cannot establish whether he was a relation or not. There are also McAlarys burried in the Church of Ireland graveyard in Kilrea (previously a Catholic Church) dating back to the 1700's but again no link has been established - but I'm still trying!!.

Ciaran

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 April 10 23:48 BST (UK) »
Very pleased to get your response.  It is unfortunate that the early records have been destroyed. It is nice to know that some of the family still live in the same area in Ireland.  Did you manage to get a photograph of the old home remains before the site was cleared?  If so I would love a copy if not inconvenient to you.

Am I correct in thinking that the Neil McAlary listed in the 1911 census as an 87 yr old living at 9 in Dullaghy (The Grove, Londonderry) is the brother of John and Daniel referred to? He is shown as living alone. Did any of this children stay in Ireland?  I have found a death registration for Neil McAlary, aged 93 yrs in 1918 in Regist District, Magherafelt. Do you know if this is him?  Do you know when his wife died? or any details on her family? Sorry for all the questions, but would love the answers if you have them.
Apparently she was Mary Keilt/Keelt.

It is great to make contact with a long distant cousin.  If I can help with any information in Aust please let me know.

Regards, Anniebelle.
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW

Offline CPMCA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 00:32 BST (UK) »
There are some photos which were taken a few years ago when some of your Brisbane cousins were visiting Ireland. I think my father might have a copy so I'll check and let you know.

You are correct, that Neil was John and Daniels brother. I believe that they were all born in the Grove. I'm not sure about whether any of Neils relations stayed in Ireland but again I'll try to find out. Not sure about the death registration either but it could be (as part of kilrea is in the district of Magherafelt).

There are Kielts still living in Kilrea - I'll see if I can find out anything about Mary.

Where do you live in Australia?

Ciaran

Offline mba2830

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 09:58 GMT (UK) »
My Mum was a Mc Alary !! along this same line
One of the Aussie McAlarys died recently who was on the 2 dollar coin (dancing Man) Frank McAlary
see
A couple of articles I thought you might enjoy and find interesting.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/opinion/victory-jig-speaks-of-fates-twists/716985.aspx

Pages 52 & 53 of:

http://www.nswbar.asn.au/docs/resources/publications/bn/bn_winter03.pdf

Enjoy
Mike

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the links which I enjoyed reading.  I was aware that Frank McA was also a descendant of the same Daniel and Martha McA who arrived in 1844 and was the the 'dancing man'.  A great photo which has become somewhat legendary.

Anniebelle.
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW

Offline mba2830

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Someone has sent me a 33 pages history of these mcalarys in australia .
I can forward if you are interested
Mike