Author Topic: Marriage & Baptisms in Nayland - George MILLS  (Read 3499 times)

Offline eramophla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hello from Australia.
    • View Profile
Marriage & Baptisms in Nayland - George MILLS
« on: Tuesday 05 January 10 07:43 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate the marriage of a George Mills to an Elizabeth, most like to have occured in Nayland, Suffolk between 1843 and 1850. I would also like to know if there were any children baptised from this union.

George was the second son of John William Mills (a vet) and his first wife Sarah Bird. He was born in Nayland on 23.12.1825. George is located with his parents and brothers and sister at Bear (mistranscribed as Bales) Street, Nayland in the 1841 census. By the 1851 census he is no longer with them, and I have not been able to locate him in this census. By March of 1856, George has moved to South Australia, where his first wife Elizabeth dies at aged 28 of consumption. I have not locted the boat that he and Elizabeth travelled to Australia on.

Any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Ireland- Harpur, Copeland, Longridge, Hayes
Devon- Underdown, Pennington, Cox, Bishop, Harding
Cornwall- Teague, Rowe, Long, Bray, Trounson, James, Bosanko, Jewell, Pollard, Rundle, Mutton, Hand, Floyd, Rodda
Suffolk- Mills, Bird
Essex- Mills, Kent, Ruffell
Glamorgan, Wales- Morgan, David, Jones, Thomas, Watkins, Morris

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage & Baptisms in Nayland - George Mills
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi eramophla,
There is a Possible Marriage on the IGI at Familysearch;

Goerge MILLS
Elizabeth SCARF
03 May 1844, Rushbrooke, Suffolk

The only marriage registration in Suffolk 1841-1851 on www.freebmg.org.uk for George Mills to Elizabeth is;
George MILLS
June 1844
Thingoe
13 759
On same page is Elizabeth SCARF :)

Does Elizabeths Aust Death Cert not have her Parents names?
Do you know what children they arrived in Australia with ?
I need names to look for Christenings.

Trish :)

EDIT;
The IGI has;
JOHN MILLS, Christened 15 September 1844, Rushbrooke, Suffolk
Parents, GEORGE Mills and ELIZABETH.
There are no other children on the Batch
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Going by Elizabeth dying 1856 age 28, so born c 1828, this is probably her.

Elizabeth SCARF
Birth, Shadingfield
Christened, 30 March 1828, Suffolk
Parents, WILLIAM Scarf and JANE

Marriage;
William SCARFF
Jane SMITH
01 August 1826, Shadingfield, Suffolk, England

Sorry, I dont have access to Census entries for a few days but as you have you should be able to find them in 1841 .

Cheers,
Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 15:13 GMT (UK) »
George, a carpenter is lodging in Lambeth in 1851, unmarried.
HO107; Piece: 1570; Folio: 46; Page: 32

The following marriage.

George Mills, bach, carpenter, father John Welby Mills, vet. surgeon
Elizabeth Bridge, spin, father William Bridge,lab.
by banns.
both of full age and residing at address, 27, Carlisle Street.

witnesses
Augustine Mills
Eliza Bridge

4th December, 1852.
Trinity Church, Lambeth, London.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eramophla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hello from Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your assistance Trish and Sue. The death certificates in South Australia at that early time are very vague and very lacking in detail, so there is not much to go on from it. It doesn't give number of issue, her maiden name, her parents name, or when she arrived in Australia.

The second marriage listed by Sue appears the most likely candidate as the name of George's father is mispelt (as it often is in other documents) and one of the witnesses was Augustine Mills. He is one of George's younger brothers (born 20.3.1827 in Nayland).

There are no children recorded for the couple in the indexes in South Australia. The earliest entry referring to them is Elizabeth's death on 3.3.1856. There are only 3 years between the marriage and the death, and the likelihood of children probably depends how long Elizabeth suffered from consumption (the death certificate has not indicated this).

I will need to check the SA passenger lists between 1852 and 1856 to see if can find them arriving in Australia.
Cornwall- Teague, Rowe, Long, Bray, Trounson, James, Bosanko, Jewell, Pollard, Rundle, Mutton, Hand, Floyd, Rodda
Suffolk- Mills, Bird

Offline eramophla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hello from Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 01:07 GMT (UK) »
I have found a marriage of a possible child of George here in South Australia. A George Mills (age 24) married an Ameilia Paull (age 20) at the residence of Mr Paull, Cross Roads on 17.11.1877. A 'George Mills' is recorded as this George's father. His birth would have occured in approximately 1853, which fits with the dates of the marriage. The surname 'Paull' also occurs later in the Mills family, turning up on my grandparents marriage certificate for one of the witnesses.

Considering this, I am wondering if there are any baptisms of a George Mills for the couple in approximately 1853?

I did not have much luck with the passenger lists. I have searched the assisted passanger lists so far and the closest I could find is an Edward and Elizabeth Mills (both age 30, which would be right for the couple), leaving Southhampton on the ship 'Norman' on 4th December 1854, arriving at Port Adelaide on 7.3.1855. Edward is recorded as an agricultual labourer from Cambridge, which doesn't sound right at all, but I have examples of others arriving in South Australia having lied to authorities to get assisted passage, and other instances where the passenger lists were mistranscribed. No child with the couple is recorded, but it was not uncommon for babes in arms to be left off of official passenger lists. I will not rule this out as a possibility for the couple as yet until I have invistigated further.

Era
Suffolk- Mills, Bird

Offline 21430l

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage & Baptisms in Nayland - George MILLS
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 May 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
Think I can help as my father has done our family tree in much detail and George and Elizabeth are there right at the start at nayland. He remarried a Jane if my memory serves right. I am in England at Wivenhoe at the moment and will travel to Nayland tomorrow. I can only accessible the tree via my remote access to my home computer so is a bit difficult to get more detail. I know I have date of death for all three. Maybe we can touch base when I am back in Australia in mid June. Regards. Chris Mills

Offline eramophla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hello from Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 May 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Chris. Look forward to hearing from you.
Suffolk- Mills, Bird

Offline 21430l

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 May 20 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi There, my reply has been a long time coming but I lost the link to the thread and have just, by mistake, found it again.I hope the following is helpful.  Regards  Chris
George Mills was a son of my Great Great Grandfather William Munson Mills ( I am Christopher Munson Mills and my father was William Munson Mills)
George was born on the 5th of March 1856 in Wivenhoe UK. He died in Adelaide, South Australia on 25th January 1933 and is buried there. His mother was Mahala (nee Kent).  He was married twice, firstly to Agnes Theresa Williams on 17 Dec 1881 and secondly to Albertina (May) Preuss on 5 May 1909.   
Descendants of: George William Mills Page 1
1 George William Mills b. 5-Mar-1856 d. 25 Jan 1933
m. 17 Dec 1881 Agnes Theresa Williams b. 13 Sep 1864 d. 4-Feb-1907
m . 5 May 1909 Albertina (May) Preuss b. 30 May 1880 d. 5-Dec-1952

2 George William Thorndale Mills b. 21 Mar 1884 d. 30 Jul 1952 m. 20 Nov 1912 Catherine Elizabeth Mary Smith b. 27 Jun 1889 d. 20 Feb 1976 

2 Esther Agnes Kent Mills b. 1886 d. 10 Jul 1888

2 Herbert John Mills b. 30 Nov 1889 d. 1951 m. 23 Nov 1910 Myrtle Mary Cocks b. 1891 d. JUN-1925

2 Agnes Evelyn Mills b. 28 Sep 1892 d. 10 /AUG-1931

2 Marjorie Gertrude Mills b. 2 Apr 1894 d. 25 Oct 1992 m. 19 May 1917 Joseph Stanley Bennett b. 11 May 1887 d. 1 Aug 1961

2 Arnold Mills b. 1896 d. 25 Mar 1900

2 Francis Laurence Mills b. FEB-1896 d. 4 Aug 1896

2 Leonard Munson Mills b. 13 Jan 1899 d. 27 Jul 1969 m. 1923 Edna Pearl Walker b. 29 Jul 1893 d. 9 Jul 1969

2 Maurice Coburg Mills b. 7 Jan 1903 d. 15 Apr 1984 m. 1931 Jean Ada Scott b. 12 Mar 1909 d. 6 Nov 2002

2 Lionel Mills b. 3 Apr 1910 m. 1936 Jessie Lina Richards b. 1914 d. 19 Jun 1990

2 Daphne May Mills b. 30 Dec 1915 m. 17 Mar 1942 Donald Packer b. 25 Sep 1910 d. 14 Jul 1982