Author Topic: Hannah JENKINS - nee WILLIAMS  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Hannah JENKINS - nee WILLIAMS
« on: Tuesday 05 January 10 08:45 GMT (UK) »
I am down to my last missing ancestor, that being the above Hannah.

Hannah was married to William Jenkins in Llanguick.

I have all information on them and their children.

However, William is found in Australia having followed his son, Jenkin Jenkins out here. He remarries in 1852. He is last found with Hannah on the 1841 census, in Wales, wrongly listed as William Williams.

My dilemma is that there is no record of death for Hannah. It has been suggested that William travelled to South Australia on Gratitude in 1849. Then to Melbourne on the Anna.

My thoughts were that Hannah had died in Wales and that was the reason William came to Australia with the children. I travelled to Wales and visited the Neath records office with two possible deaths for a Hannah Jenkins. Neither were her.

Now I wonder if she could have died just before boarding the ship, or even during the voyage.

As posted by Merlin:

FYI... Deaths were/are registered at the next port of call.

EG: if the next port of call after his death was New York it would be registered there, if it was Perth it would be there, if you can understand what I mean.

I couldn't find her on Vic BDM.

Any assistance to find Hannah would be greatly appreciated and prevent further hair pulling.  ;D

Jamjar

P.S. I have also posted this on the Welsh board.
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Jenkins - nee Williams
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 09:25 GMT (UK) »
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1849Gratitude.gif

The only JENKINS on board is Richard, wife and six children

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 09:30 GMT (UK) »
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1849DavidMalcolm.htm
William JENKINS and wife

However from

http://www.familyhistorysa.info/shipping/passengerlists.html
JENKINS William, wife (Ann n FRY?) arrived 1849-04-07 on David Malcolm from London v Plymouth [Source:4,6,7]

Cando

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Cando, that is what I found and don't see how they can be my William's family.

Is there any way of checking the voyage from SA to Melbourne on the Anna? There should be a son and his wife, Jenkin and Mary who were already in SA, on the ship with William and children.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a couple of other resources other than the PROV immigration records which only records passenger arrivals from British, Foreign or New Zealand ports.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry nothing is showing for William JENKINS at all in my resource. As far as I am aware there is no resource for coastal shipping records between Adelaide and Melbourne. 

Cheers
Cando

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking, Cando. I live in hope and someone is looking into Welsh records at the moment.

Jamjar

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to make this suggestion, Jamjar, as I'm sure you would have tried these. And perhaps the info was not to hand to the informants.

Does William's second marriage cert give the death date for Hannah?

Does William's death cert have the length of time in Aust? 

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith,

No, the cert doesn't mention date of Hannah's death.

If we were to go by the length of time in Australia then Hannah couldn't have been with him. Having said that I can't remember why, but we discussed it, today, at the WFHS and came up with no she wasn't here. However, we know these things are only as good as the informants memory. They could have said 'about' so many years.

Jamjar