Author Topic: James Devers Connaught Mutiny help please!!  (Read 11095 times)

Offline murts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Devers Connaught Mutiny help please!!
« on: Tuesday 05 January 10 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello all. I am trying to trace any relations to James Devers of the Connaught Rangers Mutiny in India. He was from Ballina County Mayo, and married a Mary Canavan in Sligo. His father was John Devers.
My mother is Kathleen Devers, daughter of Tom Devers,Lord Edward Street Ballina. I am trying to find out if James Devers is related. So far i have come to a dead end. James lived in Ballyfermot..Dublin Any help would be greatly appreciated..best wishes Steve

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Devers Connaught Mutiny help please!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 10 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve and welcome to RootsChat,

It would help if you could post any dates you know of e.g. James' DoB, the year he married Mary etc.

While you give us a clue to the time you are referring to by mentioning the mutiny in India, it really helps to give some dates we can work from.

Dara.

Offline murts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 10 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dara, many thaanks for your message. I write a lot about Irish regiments and history and its the reason why i am interested in the Connaught Mutiny and James Devers. The mutiny occured in India in 1920. The Connaugh Rangers were serving out there. One of the reasons for the mutiny, was the treatment the Black and Tans were dishing out back at Home. One mutineer, Daly, was executed. The others were given long prison sentences. James Devers was one of the Mutineers. He was married to Mary Canavan at Ennisscrone, in Sligo  in 1919. James was 20 and his wife Mary 16.
James' father was John Devers. James came from Ballina. My grandfather Tom Devers was one of 23 children, also from Ballina. Basically i am sure that James of the mutiny is related, but i cant find the link. I am working backwards trying to find out who his father was. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately i do not have a date of birth for James. After the mutint and being in Prison, James moved to several addresses in Dublin. Look forward to hearing from anyone, as i would love to solve this mystery and keep his memory alive. God Bless Steve ( Born in ballina myself)

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 10 05:40 GMT (UK) »
I see where you're coming from on this one.

Where you are at is perfectly understandable. You found a James Devers in the Indian Mutiny and you want to make a connection.

If James is related he will show up. If you try to link him to your family I'm sure you will succeed.

Research is easy enough. Start with what you know and follow every lead through to its destination. Speculation is easier. Jump in where you want to land and work your way back.

Good luck with your research.

Dara.

Offline Ms. Smokestoomuch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 10 13:14 GMT (UK) »
sorry no help really.
i took this picture a while ago in glasnevin.
Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

Offline Ms. Smokestoomuch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 10 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you spotted anybody on the census.
There's a big Devers family in Mayo.
Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

Offline murts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 10 14:59 GMT (UK) »
hello, that's my mothers family..the big devers family in Mayo..unfortunately there are only a few of us interested in trying to locate lost relatives..are am very interested in the military side..and i would dearly love to try and link James..i write a lot about Irish regiments and history..on my website..but i suppose the quest goes on..waiting for that link..thanks for the photo..like the name..might join your club smokes too much..God Bless stevex

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 10 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

that's a good photo ms Smokestoomuch!

Steve,
I know you are wanting relatives but have you looked for James' birth record on the Family Search site -Irish records: http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

There seems to be only one appropriate birth for a James Devers which is 1900.

Also Leitrim Roscommon 1901 site has a James aged 16 months in Bohernasop Townland, Ballina with parents John and Mary with rest of family born Sligo- except for James and John. It also seems to be a recent marriage for John and mother would have been Mary Moran, presumably a widow.

I am sure you would have already checked this but as it hasn't had a mention I thought I would  ;)

Lastly, would there not be Military records for James that may have his background?

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 January 10 15:38 GMT (UK) »
The family I mentioned are in 1911 but no James  :(
That gives John's place of birth as Belmullet.

However, there is a James Devers aged 10 yrs b Mayo in the census at a school in Letterfrack, Galway. I couldn't get from the census, the nature of the establishment, and as John was a labourer wondered about this.
Sadly, and I do mean that, it seems to be an industrial school run by the Christian Brothers.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk