Author Topic: SELDON - Bideford- Parish records - Help please  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Faysie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SELDON - Bideford- Parish records - Help please
« on: Wednesday 06 January 10 01:14 GMT (UK) »
I need help with research as I have recently found that I have been researching the wrong "Seldon Family Tree"..

I'm seeking information about John Seldon (b) 1791 @ Bideford ( could be District).. he married Ann Narraway in Dec. 1813 @ Buckland Brewer. They had 6 children one of who was my G.Grandmother Amelia Seldon b. 02.05.1824 @ Morice Town..

I have searched the IGI records and I thought a John Seldon b. 1792 @ Buckland Brewer was the person I was seeking.. only to find that this John Seldon died in 1838 @ Buckland Brewer... This validates that he was not my Ancestor ,, the reason being..

I have a copy of the Marriage Certificate of Amelia Seldon & John Higman who married @ Stoke Demerol 29 July 1841... Witness's on the Certificate were John Seldon ( Occupation Shipwright father of the Bride) and Petherick Higman ( Agriculturist/Farmer father of the Groom)..

There was a  John Seldon who was Baptised at Langtree in 1791... not being familiar with the are.. I wonder if SKS could please look in the Parish records.. or... please advise where I should start to research  again... I'm more confused than ever now. and don't know where to begin... at least I have one Primary record of the Marriage Certificate of Amelia Seldon.

Thank you
Sincerely

Faysie
Australia

Sach/Saich- Essex.
Kent & North Family - Hampshire.
Burke- Co Galway Ireland
Sharp/e- Sth Kyme-Pinchbeck & Blankney, Spalding- Lincolnshire, also Dorrington , Holland fen & Leicestershire.
Peck, Welbourn & Leadenha Lincolnshire
Plowright - Pinchbeck. Lincolnshire
Higman & Seldon Family- Stoke Damerol. Devon.
Freebody -Middlesex-London
Gravel- Prestwich. Manch-Lancashire
Fraser/Frazer- Salford  Manch Lancashire &  Staffordshire
Berry- Bollington. Cheshire
Micklethwaite -Stalybridge & Tintwhistl

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: SELDON - Bideford- Parish records - Help please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 10 09:17 GMT (UK) »
The IGI is far from complete for Devon. Have you seen the actual parish register entry for John SELDON & Ann NARRAWAY's marriage? It 'may' give parish of origin for both of them.

The LDS 1851 census transcription states that both John & Ann were born in Bideford. However, there was a hamlet called Bilsford a couple of miles SW from Buckland Brewer. Langtree is approx. 4 miles SE from Buckland Brewer, and 3.5 miles from Bilsford.

See http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Langtree/index.html where you will find a link to parish register look-ups. However, I think you'll find that the Langtree baptism was in 1788, not 1791.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Faysie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 10 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much DOB7 for your reply.. I had just about given up any hope of hearing from anyone.... I am more confused   ??? ???  than ever about my research with my Seldon Family.. as I mentioned the only validation that I have is a copy of the Marriage Cert between John & Ann's daughter Amelia Seldon to John Higman in 1841 @ Stoke Damerel. Devon... so any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

Yes I made an error in the Langtree Bapt 1788 is correct & only 3 years different in age for my John Seldon... No I haven't seen a copy of the Parish record for the M<arriage of John Seldon & Ann Narraway... I would dearly love to see a copy I just wished someone had a CD or was visiting the records office and  hoped that they could send me a copy of the Transcript from the Marriage Register.. that would make things so much easier for me and perhaps " tumble part of my Brick Wall ".

I will certainly look at Genuki and read it carefully and try to fathom out where my next move will take me...

Thank you again...

Faysie
Sach/Saich- Essex.
Burke- Co Galway Ireland
Sharp/e- Sth Kyme-Pinchbeck & Blankney, Spalding- Lincolnshire, also Dorrington , Holland fen & Leicestershire.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 January 10 23:24 GMT (UK) »
If you email the Devon Record Office with the names, date & location of the marriage, they will provide a transcript. devrec@devon.gov.uk
How do you know that the 1838 death is the 1791 John SELDON? (There was a John SELDON who married a Rebecca at Buckland Brewer).

Offline Faysie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 10 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I had a lady named Jill who is a Direct Descendant of John Seldon & Rebecca Goodanew.. she had done extensive research for many years on her " Seldon Family ". This John Seldon was born 1792 @ Buckland Brewer and died in 1838 - she has the Death Cert.. Jill was so kind to email me several times to help me as she knew I was researching the wrong " Seldon Family".

Luckily for me on my Family work sheet I had my John Seldon's parents ( in pencil) as Raymond & Ann with a notation . " Not validated as yet"...  Jill pointed out that my John Seldon was not related to her John Seldon and my John Seldon's parents were not Raymond etc;... so then I questioned everything I had research thus far.. the only validation I had was Amelia's Marriage Cert to John Higman  in 1841... her John Seldon died in 1838...and the witness's on the Cert were the Bride's father John Seldon  HM.Shipwright..@ Stoke Demerel...& Petherick Higman the Groom's father.

One other thing that I have encountered living in Australia.. most of the Certificates you wish to purchase cannot be paid for by Credit Card.. only GBP's.. Now our local Post Office do not sell GBP you have to get a Bank Cheque and post... Would you believe the Bank charges are in some cases higher than the amount you are sending.. (ie) I joined the Lincolnshire Family History some 2 years a go.. the subs were I think £12's.. the Bank cheque cost me $75.00 Aust... only to learn later that the LFHS do not do research for members only place your interest in their quarterly Magazine..I had no response at all... I was so disappointed . I thought about joining the  Nth Devon FHS but after my last experience I am very hesitant about doing that sort of thing again which is a great shame, especially as you know that the Local FHS's have the records you are seeking.

I'm sorry to waffle and hope this all makes sense... Just hoping that someone can point me in the right direction now as I'm floundering..  :-[ :-[ :-[

Cheers
Faysie
Australia
Sach/Saich- Essex.
Burke- Co Galway Ireland

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 10 00:46 GMT (UK) »
You don't have to be a member of the Devon FHS to buy their indexes, and, they do take credit cards online - I'm in the USA and have done so many times, most recently in December.

Offline Faysie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 10 00:51 GMT (UK) »
 :) :)

Oh Thank you for that information...

If I can be a " Pest" and ask one more question... what index's should I be looking for.. as I would love to make a purchase..

What part of the US are you.. ..

Cheers
Faysie
Sach/Saich- Essex.
Burke- Co Galway Ireland

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 10 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I should have re-read the thread - I confused myself (I answered 5 or 6 messages yesterday). You can buy civil registration certificates online via the GRO using a credit card http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
The information you want from the Devon Record Office - transcript of John SELDEN's marriage - will probably be sent by e-mail for free. If you want to obtain a photocopy of the actual entry, this can also be paid for by credit card - see the DRO website at http://www.devon.gov.uk/record_office.htm and look at the RH side of the page for the enquiry form.
The Devon FHS sells indexes by surname or parish. These include marriages 1754-1837; baptisms 1813-1839 and burials 1813-1837. (THere are many others available too. If you were going to order SELDEN/SELDON, ask for SELD*N* to cover the spelling variants. http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/indexes.htm

Offline Faysie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 10 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much Dob7, Please know that I really appreciate your kindness and assistance.. I will search the websites that you have given me..

Cheers for Now

Faysie
Sach/Saich- Essex.
Burke- Co Galway Ireland