Author Topic: Marriage of James McFadyen and Agnes Rice  (Read 3367 times)

Offline janda2050

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of James McFadyen and Agnes Rice
« on: Wednesday 06 January 10 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Am trying to trace details of the marriage of James McFadyen and Agnes Rice.  Their son, Patrick, was born c.1827 and later married Sarah McHugh.  Any details of James, Agnes (known as Nancy), Patrick and any more of the family would really be appreciated.  Earlier records indicate that Patrick may have been born as early as 1801 - but this may have been so that he could claim a pension.

He came to Glasgow and was later joined by his daughter, Sarah, who married my gr grandfather, Hugh McGrory.

According to the Poor Relief Records held in Glasgow, Patrick came from Ardstraw in Co Tyrone and he lived with his daughter's family for most of their married life until his death in 1888.

Any help with the family in Tyrone would help destroy my brick wall !!!

Thanks

Cheers

Anna

:) :) :)
McGrory, Milne, Mulvenny (or Mulveny), McKinlay, Cairns, Allan, McLean, Cassney (or Kessney).

Offline AllieElsokary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of James McFadyen and Agnes Rice
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 May 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
My GG grandfather was born in 1828. His name is Felix Mc Fadyen and the names Sarah, James, Agnes run through the later family. Married in Portglenone in 1845 and came from the Derry/Tyrone/Antrim area. I am trying to trace his parents and am wondering if James and Agnes could be they??
Could you please forward me their information and links and I will check.
Felix and his wife Mary nee Colgan moved to Glasgow between 1851-55.
I can give you details of this part of the Mc Fadyen's and also a little on the Colgans. :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 May 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
My GG grandfather was born in 1828. His name is Felix Mc Fadyen and the names Sarah, James, Agnes run through the later family. Married in Portglenone in 1845 and came from the Derry/Tyrone/Antrim area. I am trying to trace his parents and am wondering if James and Agnes could be they??
Could you please forward me their information and links and I will check.
Felix and his wife Mary nee Colgan moved to Glasgow between 1851-55.
I can give you details of this part of the Mc Fadyen's and also a little on the Colgans. :)

Does the marriage certificate list his father as James? what was Felix's residence at the time? Ardstraw isn't that close to the areas you mentioned so may not be a connection.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 May 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
Have just found another post of yours which indicates the marriage was in 1843 NOT 1845 so there will be no civil record and the church record probably won't list residence or father's name and occupation-
JoRose ScotMum and Bevj

YES!!! You have done it!! They originally came from Ireland and I have now downloaded the birth cert for John born 1864 which would be right.
Thank you all so much. Sorry for being a pain but my first time trying to do this so it is all new and a bit confusing.☺
I guess my next move is to shift focus to Ireland now and track down Felix and Mary's birth and marriage certificates. They married Dec 9th 1843 in County Derry but I cannot read the town and will have to see if anyone can transcribe that for me. Could you advise a website to check Irish records? Anyone have any idea where to try next and thank you all again so much for all your help.😘😘😘

That thread is 6 pages long and I only read the first page

Offline AllieElsokary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 May 17 19:01 BST (UK) »
The marriage date 1845 was on the birth certificate for Felix and Mary's son John, born in Glasgow. They were married Portglenone. They had 3 children then moved to Glasgow where they had more. I am finding it impossible to find Felix's birth or marriage cert in Ireland and wondering if your Patrick and my Felix could have been brothers?? Felix married in Portglenone but maybe born elsewhere in Derry/Tyrone??
Could you send me the info on yours to see if I can make any connection please. :)

Offline AllieElsokary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 May 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry above post amended

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 May 17 09:09 BST (UK) »
The marriage date 1845 was on the birth certificate for Felix and Mary's son John, born in Glasgow. They were married Portglenone. They had 3 children then moved to Glasgow where they had more. I am finding it impossible to find Felix's birth or marriage cert in Ireland and wondering if your Patrick and my Felix could have been brothers?? Felix married in Portglenone but maybe born elsewhere in Derry/Tyrone??
Could you send me the info on yours to see if I can make any connection please. :)

Felix was born 1828 and registration of births started in 1864 so their will be no birth certificate. You need to see if church record of baptism survives (not all records are online).
The marriage date of 9 Dec.1843 was mentioned on the other thread and previously in this one. As it is before civil registration of marriages (1864 for Catholic marriages and 1845 for non-Catholic ones) the only record will be the church one which is unlikely to provide much more detail other than date and names of bride and groom.