Author Topic: Nellie Davis  (Read 5769 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nellie Davis
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 January 10 19:07 GMT (UK) »
just had confirmation from a comp-letely different source that the davis family in ther 1820s onwards very often used the name smith intertwining it with davis as they felt the need for change!!!!!
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline vince smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 January 10 20:31 GMT (UK) »
My Annie Davies would have been born c 1840 ( very approx)  She had daughters Lementina, Nenny, Elizabeth (Betty) ( My Grt Gran) Cenementi, possibly Martha, as well as sons, Jabez, Wisdom, Edwin, Arkie ( Arkles/ Hercules ???

Some took the Fathers name of Smith and some took the  mothers Davies.  I should imagine that she was a West Country woman.

The folk singer Wiggy Smith is from this line.

Offline wisdom smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 January 12 13:50 GMT (UK) »
my name is wisdom smith i  live in cheltenham  and wiggy smith was my granddad his dad was wisdom also and sounds like the wisdom who was the son of annie

Offline vince smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 January 12 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

There is a really good article concerning Glos. Davies on Eric Trudgill's excellent Gypsy Genealogy website.

Wisdom, we are from the same clan.  My Grandad was Sidnal Smith, who was cousin twice over to your Grandad.

My father is over 80 and remembers alot about the  tribe of Natty Smith.  Thanks to Eric trudgill's piece on Merrick Lock, ( our ancestor), I know now that Annie Davies, was infact Sarah Anne Davies, and that Natty and guilroy were brothers.

Not to hijack the thread, the relevance is, that the Smiths, Davies and Locks, appear to have been so intermarried, that anyone researching these clans in Glos. would need to consider that the names can end up being interchangeable.

Offline janeo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi  Vince Smith ,just been looking back and found this post ,my greatgrandad was John Smith ,son of Samuel Smith who was the son of John son of Wisdom son of Jasper .I also read Erics pages on Wisdom Smith and see it states there may also be a son Samuel married to Louise Fletcher .I found the marriage of Samuel to Louise Butler 1867 fathers name John Smith also married same day same place Sidney Smith to Fiance Smith father John Smith witness was Ansel Smith so I think its a good bet that  my Samuel and your Sidnall were brothers 
Smith, Wilson ,Elliot ,Ratchford Burnside ,

Offline Jerry Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 March 20 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

It just might be a factor that the Glos. Davies' of this era, are very often actually Smiths.

My Grt Grt Grandad, Natty Smith, married Anne Davies and had loads of kids, many of them took the name Davies. 

This family is heavily represented in the Glos. region.