Author Topic: Henry Cunningham abt 1784  (Read 17467 times)

Offline JaneyJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad: John Parkinson
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Cunningham abt 1784
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 January 10 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole and Margaret,

I've just received the marriage cert' for William Cunningham and Margaret Gordon, once again Carole thankyou for the date, you were dead on.

1848 25th Sep, in Lamseley, Co Durham.

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM, full age, Bachelor, Hawker, lived in Kibblesworth, Father HENRY CUNNINGHAM, Hawker
MARGARET GORDON, under age, Spinster, lived in Kibblesworth, Father ALEXANDER GORDON, Tinner.

William and Margaret signed their names with a X.
The witnesses, were GILLESPIE GORDON, signed with a X, and Peter Elliot, I presume he was an official??

Carole do you think because the Fathers were not marked as deceased, they would still be alive?
Also on Scottish marriage cert's (which I am more used too) they give the ages of the bride and groom, do you know at what age does "Full Age" become full age?

Hope the above details help with your tree Margaret, at least we know that my William and your Margaret, do have the same father's. Just need to prove that Jane Gregg is or is not their mother, which will tie up the loose end  :)

Yours Jane
Edinburgh: Parkinson, Young, Richardson, Melrose, Arnott
Lanarkshire: Richardson, Muir, Buchanan, McMurtrie
Dumfieshire: Richardson, Muir.
Travelling Folk: Young, Cunningham, Wilson, Hartley, Knowells, Clark, Sewall, Swales.
Bristol: Jones, Cleak, Greening.
Exeter: Jones, Gregory, Greenslade, Pannel.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 January 10 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

"Full" age was 21yrs or more and "under age" means under 21yrs old - not helpful is it when you are trying to pin somebody down via their age

Re: fathers - I would not put too much relevance on neither being shown as deceased - we have all seen plenty of such entries and know for sure that the father was deceased.  If you think about it - the column only asks for name of father - it does not require an entry as to whether he is living or deceased although individual registrars may add that info

I'll do a bit of "digging" and see what I can come up with

I might be an idea to send for Henry and Jane Gregg's marriage as well

Just noticed this in your reply above.  An 1805 marriage entry will give very little info.  Ages will be shown as "full or "minor" and fathers names were not shown until 1837.  Henry's occupation may be shown

If either were married previously it will show them as widow/widower and there will be the witnesses names and that's about it.  I don't think it will help you
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline magpie28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 January 10 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
            Thanks for that. I think it also shows that Margaret and Isabella ,more than likely were sisters as we now have two official sources that their father was Alexander.[not just our guess work].
                              Regards Margaret .

Paton,Clark, Campbell,Mitchell,Anderson. Ayrshire.
Clark,McGowan,Ruddoch[Riddock]Ayrshire,Ireland
Croan Edinburgh
Swales,Robertson,Cunningham,Varey,Forrest,Knowles,Young,Gordon.
Travelers England and Scotland

Offline JaneyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 January 10 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Thankyou for the info, I did have William and Margaret as abt the same age, this helps me to narrow it down a bit.  ;)

Hi Margaret,

I've tried to trace Alexander Gordon this afternoon, and I can only find one likely family, but I've not been able to put Alexander in the same places or area's as our Margaret and William, so again I can't tie them together for sure.

I found a marriage for a Alexander Gordon and Isabella Robertson on the IGI for the 22/9/1823 in Clitheroe, Lancashire. Now this is pure guess work, I know that Robinson was a Gypsy name, and I have come across it quite a few times.
I also found a 51 census in Great Chiltan, Durham for Alexander Gordon (Tinner and Brazier age 49, b: Scotland), with several children, but no wife.  Also in 61 in Malton, Yorks, widowed, with 3 of his children.

Now the reason why I have linked this family with ours is that one of Alexanders children, Robert, married a Sarah and had a son GILLESPIE, b: abt 1855 Newcastle. Another Son, Alexander,married a Ann (I think Burnside) and called 3 of his children Margaret, Isabella and Diana. All of which are the names of Alexander seniors children.

Now if I haven't given you a headache, ;D.  I will go and try to pin these down a little more.

Yours Jane
Travelling Folk: Young, Cunningham, Wilson, Hartley, Knowells, Clark, Sewall, Swales.

Offline magpie28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 January 10 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
            As you know William and Margaret had a son called Henry born c1854-5.his wife Mary .
              Mary Gordon c1859 parents William Gordon and Sarah Robinson from death cert. knowing our family they could have been cousins.William a possible brother to Alexander married to Isabella Robinson,just thought Id give us another puzzle [lol]
                              Margaret
Croan Edinburgh

Offline magpie28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 January 10 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
            Meant to say William a possible child of Alexander,
                         Margaret
Croan Edinburgh

Offline JaneyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 January 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Help....could you put surnames and dob's on our Williams please, I've just gone round and round my tree and come up with Queen Elizabeth the 2nd.... I think I made a mistake somewhere?  ;D

I think I know what you mean but just need to make sure, as I spent most of yesterday looking for Robinson's, BMD's census's etc, then I found all the info I needed on my tree and those "keep for later" files that I had.

Jane  :-*

Offline JaneyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 January 10 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the PM Margaret, sent you one back, bit of a novel though  ;D

Offline lanelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Magpie 28, and Jane,Thanks for the Burnside info. It was similar to one  that has now demised from web. Can you give me info on Christiana Forest b.1859 marriage please.
I hope i am not making things more complicated, but i have Henry Cunningham c1836 with his wife Mary pre Murray, nee Lindsley b1849 Newbottle. 1901census looking after my "Aunt" Rosey, Mcdonald, and 1911 same again, but he now is "retired soldier, (not a hawker). 1891census he has nephew Charles Cunningham (sunderland) with them. In all three census` there is no middle name Gregg, but i am sure he was Gregg on marriage(lost). Have i got the wrong Henry?
                                      Fred