Author Topic: Sievers and Surie Rotherhithe c1816  (Read 3416 times)

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Sievers and Surie Rotherhithe c1816
« on: Friday 08 January 10 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I have a record from a bankruptcy notice c1815 that Hermann Sievers gave his address as Rotherhithe. I also know that his son-in-law John or Johanne Surie was living in the same area. They were probably there until the 1820's (Hermann died 1829 and Johanne moved back to Amsterdam).

Can anyone suggest where I could look for records?
Jennings (Somerset), Sievers (London and Netherlands), Richier (Netherlands & Germany), Chappuzeau(Germany),Garner (London) , Smith (Guernsey), Brand (London and Germany),  Burney (Liverpool & London), Oakley (Wales), Creek (Wales & Devon)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Sievers and Surie Rotherhithe c1816
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 10 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Pavane, what kind of records are you looking for?

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Anything at all which will place them in the area.

EGF Sievers, son of Hermann, was married at St Paul's, Deptford in 1830. This is the only actual record we have.
Jennings (Somerset), Sievers (London and Netherlands), Richier (Netherlands & Germany), Chappuzeau(Germany),Garner (London) , Smith (Guernsey), Brand (London and Germany),  Burney (Liverpool & London), Oakley (Wales), Creek (Wales & Devon)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 10 16:27 GMT (UK) »
According to the London Gazette, the bancrupcy proceedings against Herman started in 1811.  He was variously described as a fish merchant from Hackney Road, Middlesex & of Lower Thames Street in the City of London as well as Rotherhithe.  Historical Directories might give you some more clues.
His son, Ernest George Frederick was also listed in the gazette for bancrupcy in 1835.  He's described as of Carpenter St, Mount St, Grosvenor Sq, Upper Ranelagh St, Belgrave Sq, Middlesex.  A coal merchant, dealer & Chapman.
It would appear that Ernest George died Q1 1850, Uxbridge RD.

The National Archives showed a divorce petition for a Johann Henrich Sievers in 1864.  There might be a connection there?
Also a death reg. on FreeBMD for Herman Ernest Sievers Q4 1845, Chelsea RD...perhaps another connection?

1841 census shows EGF (listed as Geo) at Doddington Grove, St. Mary Newington, Sry.  Age 35...? merchant, not born Sry with wife Arabella (25) also not born Sry

jane

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 10 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Just been doing some more digging;
From an online newspaper data base there's an advertisement for H.E Sievers at the Dutch Herring Company's Warehouse, Lower Thames St, London.  He's advertising his Dutch herrings! 24/8/1812
Another notice which seems to be an ad for an auction of his property (probably due to his bancrupcy) says it's near Rotherhithe church, so that would be his place of business.
I found a public tree on Ancestry which gives the following information;
Herman Ernst Sievers born 9/5/1771, Batbergen in't Osnabrugse (Osnabruck) son of Johann Conrad Sievers & Anna Elisabeth Jodicken.
Herman married Petronella Richier (age 23) 20/2/1795, Amsterdam.
In 1808 a ship agent, 1 St. Catherine Sq, Tower Hill, London.
Died about 1837, Shoreditch.

jane

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 10 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Jane, That ad for auction sounds useful. We know all the rest, and much more (He was buried on 1st October 1829). Bankrupt twice (c1810 and 1815) We have lots of addresses, but none yet in Rotherhithe:

1, St Catherine Sq
52 Burr St
44 Mark Lane
66 Lower Thames St (Dutch Herring Fishery Warehouse). His sons ran it later (1819-1826)

He started the herring business around 1811, before that he was a ship agent, and a commission agent. Marrried in Amsterdam in 1795, came to London around 1802. He won a gold medal for his herrings in 1814. The information you found on his parents came from research I did in Zaandam.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 10 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Pavane, the East Kent Archives Centre hold some documents that might be of interest.

Sievers, H.E., London
Herring supply. [East Kent Archives Centre, Cobb of Margate, Family...]
These documents are held at: East Kent Archives Centre

Bills and Vouchers
Including accounts of H.S. Sievers, Insurance policies, Jeanne, 2 bundles miscellaneous vessels and final miscellanea [Original bundle]. [East Kent Archives Centre, Cobb of Margate, Family...]

Sievers, H.E. of London, Portsmouth and Dover
Banking business and concerning sale of herrings. [East Kent Archives Centre, Cobb of Margate, Family...]

jane

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 10 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Jane, 
Thanks but we know about these documents already and a colleague has looked at them some years ago.
But can you tell me where you found the ad for the sale of his property, or at least the date? That would be REALLY good.
Neil

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 May 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Jane, Do remember where you found the newspaper with the ad for his property? I still haven't been able to track it down.
Thanks