Author Topic: Corn Mill- Stracathro- Early 1800's  (Read 13550 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Corn Mill- Stracathro- Early 1800's
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 March 15 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you again.

The Don Memoir is indeed intriguing, but unfortunately it doesn't mention any of the names in my direct ancestry - for example Binny, Sang, Guthrie, Wyllie, Mollison - other than in passing, so although it makes very interesting reading, it doesn't add anything to my own tree.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hegs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 April 16 06:58 BST (UK) »
Noreen, I'm not sure if you still check this thread, but my 4 x great grandfather was the same James Mitchell who married Mary Duncan at Mill of Side! Their oldest son, David (my 3 x great gf) came to Australia and settled in Victoria in the 1840's and took up farming. So hello long lost cousin!

Offline hegs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 July 16 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Eimear,

I'm not sure if you're still reading this, but I am also related to the same Mitchells as Noreen. If you have unearthed any more information regarding these Mitchells I would love to know about them. Also any photos of the Mill would be fabulous as I live in Australia and it's not a short journey!!

Cheers,
Michelle 8)

Offline Georgevitch0562

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 12:55 BST (UK) »
I found this forum while trying to find information about James Mitchell, miller of Slade, Stracathro and his wife Mary (M.S. Duncan).

My connections is through James and Mary's grandson, William Mitchell (II) (1846 - 1927) and his wife Catherine (M.S. Anderson - Drumlithie) (1843 - 1920) who I've recently discovered were my great grandparents and who were married in Glenbervie in 1872. William is recorded as a journeyman blacksmith with his place of residence stated to be Arbroath. It would seem that William and Mary lived in Arbroath for the rest of their lives.

There were three generations of Mitchells in Arbroath the last being my mother (Charlotte Strathearn Stewart Mitchell and her sisters Kate and Betty. There were no sons in that generation so the Mitchell name ended, in this line, with them.

I have a vague memory of my mother and aunts talking about some family connection to Drumlithie but didn't know at the time what it was about. During the 1980s we lived in Drumlithie but I was not aware then what the family connection had been.

I am hoping that this may be of interest to Noreen19 and hegs if either of them is still following this thread and that, if so, we might be of some assistance to each other - or anyone else with a connection.

Georgevitch0562