Author Topic: Corn Mill- Stracathro- Early 1800's  (Read 13546 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Corn Mill- Stracathro- Early 1800's
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Those 'discoveries' aren't Noreen's, they are mine!

I don't know if the Careston Adamsons are mine or not, but mine were from Tannadice and I have no whaling captains that I know of.

I have seen the Fairweather memorandum, and I own a set of Alex Warden's 5-volume 'Angus or Forfarshire'. Also a copy of 'Memorials of the Leightons' and of Andrew Jervise's books.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Had a quick look around.

John Adamson of Careston was born in St Monance, Fife of 6 June 1813 and baptised one 20 June 1813. His parents were William Adamson and Janet Chapman. According to the 'Community Contributed' IGI William and Janet were married in St Monance in 1802.

I don't have any William Adamsons in my tree before the one born in Syde in 1799, so I think I can be fairly sure that my Adamsons are not related to John Adamson of Careston. Pity :(
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline embla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 March 15 04:40 GMT (UK) »
oh.........so I don't know who I am talking to any more
but if you are in Forfar then you have all the access that I have
so not those adamsons
so are you related to Noreen and the Wyllies and Adamsons and Leightons and Fairweathers and Dons?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 March 15 09:45 GMT (UK) »
oh.........so I don't know who I am talking to any more
but if you are in Forfar then you have all the access that I have
so not those adamsons
so are you related to Noreen and the Wyllies and Adamsons and Leightons and Fairweathers and Dons?

Not actually in Forfar now. In fact I quite often drive through Stracathro on my way north or south.

I am connected to the Leightons through marriages but not related as far as I know.

William Leighton, brother of Andrew who was in Syde, married my relative Margaret Wyllie in 1778. She was a daughter of another Andrew Wyllie (cousin of the one in Syde) who was in Mill of Conveth in Laurencekirk and later in Pitarrow in Fordoun. His first wife was Elizabeth Skair who may have been related to Andrew Leighton's mother Anne Skair.

Then there was David Leighton who married Agnes Sang in Tannadice in 1764. She was my 4th great-aunt. David's father was John Leighton but I know no more about him. However David and Agnes' large family included Margaret, born 1782 and died 1866 in Kirriemuir. She left a will in which there was no mention of any of her siblings at all, but she left legacies to my 3rd great-grandfather Thomas Binny, whose wife was Agnes' niece Mary Sang, to 'the surviving children of the late George Fairweather my cousin, formerly in Pitdreichy' and to 'the surviving children of the late James Fairweather my cousin formerly in Shandford'. She also left money to John Sang SSC, who seems to have been her solicitor although he lived and practised in Edinburgh. He was a brother of Thomas Binny's wife Mary Sang. (I would dearly like to know why she was so selective, because she had quite a lot of other cousins, quite apart from her nine siblings.) I have managed to identify the two Fairweathers referred to. They were the sons of George Fairweather and Margaret Leighton in Menmuir. This Margaret was also the daughter of a John Leighton, so she must have been a brother of David Leighton who married Agnes Sang. How this John Leighton relates to David Leighton, husband of Anne Skair, I do not know.

Sorry, I seem to have rambled on a bit.

Offline embla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 March 15 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am delighted you rambled on a bit
I saw the post this morning on my mobile but couldn't respond on that medium - too small and fiddly - hence the delay
there are a number of resources I have found online that link in to your research and mine
and I need to compile them more fully so that you can then scour each one to see what results but I find cross references to Leighton Fairweather Binny - then there is one to - is it Dakers? - something like that - Don, of course....
I have family visiting this weekend so may not be on again until next week when I hope to be able to give you details of the resources online and other volumes that were available at Restenneth
none of these people are any kin of mine but I am so interested in the area in which I live and want to uncover the personalities that made it as it is
Best
E

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 March 15 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I will look forward to hearing further.

Er .... you will find that some of the Binny material at Restenneth came from me in the first place. There are other documents about the Binnys, in particular a manuscript set of notes by Catherine Sophia Murray (1841-1912), wife of William Henry Binny (1825-1900). Also some notes made by Mr A McHardy, who was Town Clerk of Forfar. I've been working on them for years, more off than on!

But I haven't tried to follow Leightons or Fairweathers there.

Offline embla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 March 15 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again

apologies for the long silence....work matters
have you seen this site:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&db=fairweather&recno=163
perhaps you put these notes on here.........but a lot of Adamsons there

Eimear

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 March 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
No, it's not mine but yes, I have seen it. Thanks.

Offline embla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 March 15 15:50 BST (UK) »
I came upon these two references for Syde yesterday whilst in Brechin Library. The lady there was very helpful and found some lovely maps for me which I photocopied......interesting to discover there were another couple of buildings here in the 60s that are not here now but I did learn from a near neighbour that one of them burnt down in the 1970s (I think)
1753 Christian Don married William Hood, Syde of Stracathro – married 1788
Had 3 sons and 3 daughters – the last of whom – Janet drowned in the Cruick Water in 1869

Alexander Don 1746 – 1808 in 1775 married Jean Hood, sister of William, Daughter of John Hood, farmer, Syde of Stracathro

and then you should go through this volume as you may find more links to more of your ancestors here: http://www.electricscotland.com/History/nation/memoirsofdonfami1897donw.pdf