Author Topic: Arran Surname Diversity  (Read 16793 times)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Arran Surname Diversity
« on: Sunday 10 January 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I have traced myself back to:

William Murchie (bpt. 10 Mar 1781, Kilmory - d. 10 Feb 1871, Sorn, Aryshire). His parents were John Murchie and Elspeth Curry. According to someone else's' research, their first child was baptised in 1772, so the marriage would likely be around then and the last child was baptised in 1793. So, a likely time period of birth for the two would be 1740-1755. However, I've not been able to find any possible marriage for the two and I've wildcarded until there are no cards left at Scotland's People.

Reading a bit on the history of Arran, I came across some vague statements that seemed to suggest that names on the Isle of Arran were Anglicised around the 17-18th Century and that general spelling of the surnames was erratic. Does anyone have any info on this?

If so, I guess you really need the registers to get the required info.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arran Surname Diversity
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 10 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Thanks for your PM regarding another thread - I've replied to suggest you contact the Arran Heritage Museum:

http://www.arranmuseum.co.uk/geneaology_section.htm

They are very helpful but only open once a week in winter.

Regarding anglicisation - remember that many folk were functionally illiterate and spellings were not set in stone anywhere, so for example I have an Eleesabath = Elizabeth and all sorts of exotic variations - and that's just the forenames!!

Doesn't the death cert for William MURCHIE give you the marriage date of his parents?  I thought they did at that period.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 10 22:19 GMT (UK) »
No, the marriage date is only on birth certificates after 1855.

Arran was a Gaelic speaking island and it was very rural.  The spellings were varied as were the names.  For Elizabeth, also read Elspeth, Betty, Isabelle (and variants).  I have a page from the marriage register of Kilmory in 1799 - it looks like the mice got it!

According to the Statistical Accounts, the parish register of Kilmory begins in 1701 and was "beautifully kept" until about 1729.  From then until 1762 much was lost except for a scroll of minutes of a few session meetings around 1736 on loose leaves stitched  together and they are almost illegible.  From 1762, the standard picked up again, but it was judged in 1840 or so  to be in dire need of transcription since the paper was decaying.  Kilbride registers were not kept regularly in the 18th century and some volumes of the sessions records went missing having been lent to someone (this is again from the Statistical Accounts).

I have found the baptisms of the children.  If you want them, please say.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 10 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nell - that's very interesting!

Luckily half of my own family were from Kilbride and half from Kilmory - maybe that increases the chances of something surviving?!?

To your list of Elizabeth variants - add Elspa!

;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 January 10 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I have found the baptisms of the children.  If you want them, please say.

Thanks for the info, and yes, that would be much appreciated. Will save a spree on Scotland's People  :D

So according to your info, if John Murchie and Elizabeth Curry were married in c. 1773, there should be a surviving marriage record, but births are likely to be lost? - assuming they were born on Arran.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 10 22:10 GMT (UK) »
There appears to be a big gap between 1716 and 1766 in the baptisms  :(.  So nothing for John and Elspeth themselves.

I have found two baptisms of children John & Elspeth/Betty Murchie/Murchy:

Mary 27 May 1772
Donald 18 Mar 1774

The following are transcribed as MURPHIE, children of John Murphie & Elspeth/Elespie/Elspa Currie.

William Murphie, bp 10 Mar 1781
Elespie bp 25 May 1783
Janet bp 25 May 1783
Duncan bp 11 Feb 1787
John bp 15 Apr 1788
John bp 12 Sep 1790
Archibald bp 13 Oct 1793.

The handwriting is clear in 1783 - it is definitely written Murphie.  Do you know where they lived at all?  Bencargan - don't think it's spelt like that now though. 

No joy with a marriage at the right time - only one in 1714, same names!

I've checked the MI for the island, but nothing for this particular Murchie.  There are loads for Currie - still checking!

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 18:31 GMT (UK) »
The following are transcribed as MURPHIE, children of John Murphie & Elspeth/Elespie/Elspa Currie.

Thanks for the lookups  :D Yes, he was quite often listed as Murphie. The LSD has a record saying he died in 1813, but I don't know where that has come from.

They lived in Bennecarrigan as far as I know.

I've found the genealogical community to be very friendly and helpful during my time here thus far. Maybe if genealogists infiltrated the government, they could change the world.

Offline THodge

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 August 16 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The John Murchie and Elspeth Currie mentioned are my 4th great grandparents. Just wondering if you've managed to get any further back with this line?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 09:32 BST (UK) »
Gaels used patronymics amongst themselves , the use of Scots surnames only became necessary on bills, leases & wills etc!  Regular school attendance where Gaelic use was discourage, wrought the transformation,

Skoosh.