Author Topic: Arran Surname Diversity  (Read 16770 times)

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Arran Surname Diversity
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 April 17 01:12 BST (UK) »
This is from Roots in Sandstone which was provided by the museum on Arran. Three men were the roots of Lamlash. John Montgomery James McIntyre and William Taylor. I come down through James.  John Montgomery married Janet Mckenzie. James MacIntyre married Catherine Currie. William Taylor married Margaret Baird and were contemporary with the McIntyres. The Taylor and McIntyre families were joined in 1854 when John McIntyre married  Janet Taylor. They were my gr gr grandparents.

Marc

Offline Ceryswyn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hmm, an unrelated family but my 5th great grandmother was born in Kilmory, Arran and moved to Sorn, Ayrshire. I wonder if there was some reason that multiple people from the community moved to the same area. I'm trying to dig into the history of Arran during her life but not getting very far, I do know it's the era of the clearances. Perhaps there was a mass migration over to Sorn.

For general reference, in case they do turn out to be linked some how. My 5th great grandmother was Isabella McNeil, daughter of Donald McNeil. They were from Auchenhew on the south end of Arran. She was born in 1764, and married one Alexander Wright in the Manse of Sorn in 1789.
Gilbert ~ London, Essex.
Nutt ~ Sussex England, Ayrshire Scotland, Ireland.
Scully, Richards, Stepney, Goble ~ Sussex.
James ~ London, Essex, Sussex, Pembrokeshire.
Lochhead ~ Ayrshire/ Nielston Renfrewshire Scotland.
Dunn, Airdry/Airdrie ~ Ayrshire Scotland, Donaghadee Ireland.
McCreadie, McQuaters/McWaters ~ Ireland
More to follow.

Offline Arran Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 July 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hmm, an unrelated family but my 5th great grandmother was born in Kilmory, Arran and moved to Sorn, Ayrshire. I wonder if there was some reason that multiple people from the community moved to the same area. I'm trying to dig into the history of Arran during her life but not getting very far, I do know it's the era of the clearances. Perhaps there was a mass migration over to Sorn.

For general reference, in case they do turn out to be linked some how. My 5th great grandmother was Isabella McNeil, daughter of Donald McNeil. They were from Auchenhew on the south end of Arran. She was born in 1764, and married one Alexander Wright in the Manse of Sorn in 1789.

My great grandmother was Anne McNeill from Auchenhew. I grew up on Arran and have quite a lot of McNeill family info and wonder if we can exchange knowledge. Although the McNeill surname is no longer resident in Kildonan I am on touch with a number of McNeill relatives who regularly visit the island.

Offline Ceryswyn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 July 17 23:10 BST (UK) »

My great grandmother was Anne McNeill from Auchenhew. I grew up on Arran and have quite a lot of McNeill family info and wonder if we can exchange knowledge. Although the McNeill surname is no longer resident in Kildonan I am on touch with a number of McNeill relatives who regularly visit the island.

Hi Arran Girl, I'll PM you so we don't hijack the original thread too much :)
Gilbert ~ London, Essex.
Nutt ~ Sussex England, Ayrshire Scotland, Ireland.
Scully, Richards, Stepney, Goble ~ Sussex.
James ~ London, Essex, Sussex, Pembrokeshire.
Lochhead ~ Ayrshire/ Nielston Renfrewshire Scotland.
Dunn, Airdry/Airdrie ~ Ayrshire Scotland, Donaghadee Ireland.
McCreadie, McQuaters/McWaters ~ Ireland
More to follow.