Author Topic: F. S. / M. S. as occupation in 1841 UK Census  (Read 33955 times)

Offline Argyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: F. S. / M. S. as occupation in 1841 UK Census
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 March 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I have come across the same abbrev in 1841 census M.L.  and F.L.  or it could be M.S. and F.S.    It does not relate to gender because I have a Mary Batty aged 60 who is M.L.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I have come across the same abbrev in 1841 census M.L.  and F.L.  or it could be M.S. and F.S.    It does not relate to gender because I have a Mary Batty aged 60 who is M.L.

Hi there,  :)

Welcome to RootsChat, great place for help with family history.

I think your Mary BATTY in 1841  was with a Joseph BATTY aged 65, and that the enumerator has recorded Joseph's occupation against Mary rather than against Joseph.    I think you will find that the enumerator wrote "M.S." and that is the abbreviation in 1841 UK census for Male Servant. 

I attach snip of part of one page from 1841, Salford to show Joseph without an occupation, and further down the page there's a Thomas as " M.S."

And further down the page (but not in the snip), in Thomas' household there's a lass named Sarah, clearly an S and not an L.

:)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Argyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ... that makes sense.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 12:38 GMT (UK) »

These were employed on the farm.... what a thought tho, youngsters down the coal mines  :o
Lynn

See for instance https://museum.wales/articles/2011-04-11/Children-in-Mines/ which has the quotation:
Susan Reece, also six years of age and a door keeper in the same colliery said: 'I have been below six or eight months and I don't like it much. I come here at six in the morning and leave at six at night. When my lamp goes out, or I am hungry, I run home. I haven't been hurt yet.'
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan