Author Topic: Thomas Simpson - Watch Maker. - Completed!!  (Read 5291 times)

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thomas Simpson - Watch Maker. - Completed!!
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for information on Thomas Simpson. Although I have spent the last decaded researching my tree, Thomas is the first ancester i have had to deal with in London - and am abit overwealmed by the challenge at the moment!!

I am decended from Thomas' daughter, Elizabeth Simpson, who was born in 1840, and later moved to Burton-upon-Trent. On her marriage record, it says that her father was Thomas Simpson, a Watch Maker.

I think I have been able to find Elizabeth on the 1851 census, living at 127 Oxford Street, Marylebone, Middlesex. She is living with her mother Elizabeth (45 - Stay Maker - Born Northamptonshire), and siser Emma (7 - Stay Maker - London). By 1861, this family has moved to Winchester, Hampshire (on one of the later census', Elizabeth says she was born in Winchester, on all others is says London). Once again she is living with her mother (58 - House Keeper - Biford (??). Northamptonshire), and her sister Emma (28 - Stay Maker - London). Also in the house is Elizabeth's neice, Louisa Ashdown (3 - Winchester, Hampshire). I have no idea who Louisa is, and who her mother might be.

On the 1851 census, Elizabeth Snr says she is Married, but by the 1861 census she is a Widow. I have no idea when Thomas dies.

I have had trouble finding Elizabeth Jnr and Emma on the 1841 census. But I believe that I may have found Elizabeth Snr, living on Oxford Street, St Marylebone, London. She has been enterd as Eliza Simpson (35 - Milliner - Not Born in County). In the same household is Thos Simpson (40 - Watch M - Born in County).

Sorry for the long winded explenation, but I though it best to give all of the information. I often miss important information of these posts, and would be surprised if I have mentioned all the information needed to get some help. After all this, can any one answer the following questions;

1) Can anyone help me find a marriage for Thomas & Elizabeth. I now it might be imposible (with at least 2 counties to cover), but I thought I would give it a go.
2) Can anyone help me find out who Louisa Ashdown's parents were (without having to spend £7!). Maybe finding out who Louisa's mother was might help me track down more information on Thomas.
3) Can anyone find Thomas on the 1851 census. It may give the village in Middlesex, or district of London he was born in, so that may help me out! (Now Answered)
4) Can anyone find a death for Thomas. As I have said above, I think it would have happened between 1851-1861. (Now Answered)
5) I quess that Thomas would have had to serve an apprentership to become a Watch Maker. Where would I be able to find these records. (Now Answered)

Thanks in advance,
Tippin

Online petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Simpson - Watch Maker.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Try The Clockmakers Company http://www.clockmakers.org/, They are very helpful and hold many of the makers  records apart from the details of individuals that were registered with them. Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the link. I have just sent of an email to them. Hopefully they will have his apprentice records!

Thanks again,
Tippin

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at my clock books and 'Watchmakers and clockmakers of the world, vol II' lists a Thomas Simpson in London, 1828-44.  No way to know if this is your man but the dates fit.  Now all you need is to find a watch that he made...
It is worth looking in Clerkenwell, since that was the centre of the watch trade in London.
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chasbaz,

Thanks for the information. The dates do seem to fit my Thomas, shame he had to have a common surname!!

I wonder if he died in 1844. That would certainly explain why I can not find him in 1851. Perhaps the 51 entry for Elizabeth is wrong, it should read widowed instead of married.

It would be great to find a watch that he acctually made. Was it a common occupation in the mid 19th century?

Thanks,
Tippin

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 16:19 GMT (UK) »
If you can't find a death for him he could have moved away.  I don't mean he ran off (though that is possible I guess) but maybe he decided to move the business to Winchester or somewhere else and his family followed later.  I haven't found a Thomas listed in Winchester, but that doesn't mean he didn't go.  It would help to find a will - I looked briefly in the National Archives and there are several Thomases but none described as a watchmaker.  There is:  Will of Thomas Simpson, Gentleman of Clerkenwell , Middlesex
Date 28 January 1842 Catalogue reference PROB 11/1957 - because it is Clerkenwell it makes it possible that it was a watchmaker but it is a very long shot.  Let's hope the Guildhall comes up with something.  You might try London directories for the period as well.  There are several online websites as well as Google Books, e.g., http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/ud/usingdir4.asp
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Checking the 1851 census for Thomas Simpsons born Middlesex within 10 years of circa 1800 gets 6 possible Thomases with the most interesting being the one in Winchester.

1851 census HO107 1674 folio 48?
Staple Garden St Thomas Winchester
Thomas Simpson 42 Married Lodger Watchmaker (journeyman) London Middlesex

Deaths Sep 1856 
SIMPSON  Thomas    Winchester  2c 59

Lodging with him is James Anderson 24 Unmarried Cabinet maker (journeyman) also born London

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Presuming the age of Emma in 1861 as "28" is correct (why "7" in 1851, though?), could they be part of the set of siblings shown on IGI as christened at St. James, Westminster?

Five children were christened 16 Oct 1826: Elizabeth (must have died), Sarah, Charlotte, Ann, an Robert.
George was christened 18 Jan 1829, Emma, 16 Sep 1832, and then finally the younger Elizabeth, 16 August 1840.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/
 - shows in the 1841 directory Thomas at the Oxford street address, but also in 1852 a Charles Ashdown, watchmaker, Stratford Broadway, don't know if that might be a connection.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Charles Ashdown in Stratford in 1851, was a watch and clockmaker aged 40 married with 6 children and by 1861 still in West Ham had 8.

Westminster Archives hold the St James parish registers. They would confirm whether the father's occupation was a watchmaker.

Regards

Valda.