Author Topic: Hoskins/Hoskings family? West part of Britain.  (Read 45819 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hoskins/Hoskings family? West part of Britain.
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 22:38 GMT (UK) »
This is rather a long shot, but I have the forenames of a family whose surname was Hoskins or Hoskings and they were born in the last half of the 1800's.  This info was given by my 3rd cousin, but I cant find ANY record of them (apart from a possible marriage for Soloman to Lena Davies) and Im reasonably experienced in family history research.  I'd have expected a teensy bit on a couple of them...but nothing.  The names I have are Nelson, Mosiah, Soloman, Dinah, Coralina/Coralena, Gilder, Ada, Patience and Esther. We dont know the area they were from but its believed to be either South Wales, Herefordshire, Gloucs, or Worcs.  The parents were allegedly John and Mary Ann, I dont know how accurate that info is. Dinah had 10 children and Esther had 16!!  Coralina had a daughter named Rosina Jones born 1913 in Newport, Wales but has no marriage record or birth record for Rosina. (My 3rd cousin is Rosina's daughter, hence how I know this).  The family may have moved to the Forest of Dean but we dont know when. I'd be grateful if someone could give us any info.   ???
Edit: Have just found them with 4 of the children in Parkend, Monmouthshire in 1911!   The father of the family, who I was told was John, was down as the initial 'M'.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline RomanyRoser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hoskins/Hoskings family? West part of Britain.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello I have saved this along the way. Hope it helps- Roser (Westen Australia)
Back to the forum index Open in thread Gypsies in the FoD during 1800s (General)
by prubery , Monday, November 10, 2008, 09:56 (280 days ago) @ romany_star
I am also researching a gypsy HOSKINS/HODGKINS/HODGKISS family, Esther HODGKINS was buried 2 Mar 1888 at Drybrook, residence Lea Bailey (thanks to this wonderful site). Her son Noah was born 14 Jun 1867 at Spetchley, WOR, and his father was given as Thomas BOSWELL, Chair Bottomer and Knife Grinder.
Would love to exchange information with you.
Kind regards
Polly
locked  308 views
by my little forum | Maintained by David Watkins

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou!  It wont be my Esther as her parents were born 1860 give or take a year, so she wouldnt have had a son in 1867. But they could be related.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline bobby smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 January 10 23:56 GMT (UK) »
hello i can be of some help here the 'dinah' you talk of was my greatgrandmother ...her son william was my grandad , and his son william was my dad ...

gilder still lives in ledbury ...he has 6 or 7 kids and is in his 80s ,

dinah had 10 or 11 kids , gilder is the only living one ...

volie ,had kids married into the bucklands

natty(son)  had a familey

you must know some of them being in warwickshire ??

i know who you are talking about lets put it that way.....

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 13:22 GMT (UK) »
 Thankyou Bobby so much for replying to my post.  No, I dont know any of them although my great aunt said there is a Warwickshire link, but we've lost touch completely.  Now, everyone lives in Newport and Bridgend while I live in Coventry.  Are you on Facebook?  Do you have any photos of Dinah?  There was another sister named Coralina or Coralena who I cant trace, but her daughter Rosina Jones born 1913 is my connection. I havent heard of Volie, although we do have Bucklands in Coventry. Has Gilder ever mentioned his parents or grandparents? Does he say what life was like back then or any family stories? 

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Bobby, Gilder is on the 1911 census aged 11.  Its now 2010, so he wouldnt be alive.  :-\
Edit:  This one is Dinah's brother, so definately connected.

Offline bobby smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 15:55 GMT (UK) »
who i know about is dinahs familey onwards she was my grandads mum ...gilder was the youngest of 10 .....my grandad was william ,

they moved around hereford/monmoth area ....

my grandad as 92 and past away this year , my dad was 56 and also past away this year .....

gilder could tell you everything ....about his mum and dad ...he could talk your head off about storys .....

she had 10 children , melie was the oldist girl
my grandad the oldist boy

then there was ,

jimmy
natty
volie
gilder
...i would have to find out the other names ...yes i'm on face book , and i'm very sure uncle gilder has photos , and my granny has some

but i have seen my grandads birthpaper , and his mum was dinha hoskins

and i found interest in the name , as you dont here it much !!

me mum was a penfold !! and me dad was a smith ...

dinha married william 'willie' smith !! them name has been past down over and over , my brother is willam smith

i'm sure there is much more i can tell you !!

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bobby, what an amazing family they must have been. The Gilder on the census is Dinahs brother .  A shame we're not all so close now. Im on Facebook as Rebekah Markham. There are trillions of Bobby Smiths so I dont know which is you   ;D

Offline Hodgkins Hoskins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 July 10 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hello, I noticed some of the posts on this page and it rings a bell. I've done a bit of research on the Hodgkins / Hoskins of Warwickshire / Worcestershire / Herefordshire / Gloucestershire, so I'll let you know what I'm fairly certain about. Got much of my information from censuses, birth death marriages, baptisms and marriages records, so I'm pretty certain what I'm saying is correct.

I believe that Solomon, Mosiah (also spelt Maziah) & Gilder (born 1901) were all brothers & the sisters I've found so far in censuses were Esther, Louisa, Violet, Dinah & Edith. They were all children of Maziah HODGKINS / HOSKINS & Mary Ann DAVIS. He wasn;t John, thats why he is in the 1911 census as M. Maziah was born in 1857 in Ledbury district, Herefordshire (registered as Bazire HOSKINS). He was the son of the Esther HODGKINS (died 1888) mentioned by RomanyRoser & so the brother of Noah HODGKINS / HOSKINS. Esthers' husband was Thomas BOSWELL & I could only find them in one census, in 1861 in Upton Bishop, Herefordshire.

Esther & Thomases children were known through their life sometimes as BOSWELL, also HODGKINS also HOSKINS even HASKEN. In all there was Alick or Alec, Sophia (married Daniel COLEMAN), Senty, Maziah, Theana or Tenney (married Moses SMITH), Patience, Susannah, Noah & Matilda. They were born mostly in Herefordshire. I believe Esther was the Esther HODGKINS born in 1829 in Evesham, Worcs, the daughter of Benjamin HODGKINS & Anne DAFFEY. Benjamin was a knife grinder & eldest son of Edward HODGKINS & Penelope ARCHER, my great-great-great-great-grandparents.

I can send more if need be but I'd be grateful for any more on this family and groups of families these Hodgkins / Hoskins. They don;t seem as big a family as others and only from a small area between Warwickshire and Worcestershire. Any ideas on their background or histiry as travelling tinkers in this part of the world would be appreciated by me.