Author Topic: Hoskins/Hoskings family? West part of Britain.  (Read 45820 times)

Offline Hodgkins Hoskins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hoskins/Hoskings family? West part of Britain.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 August 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again, no it's definitely Tanworth with an "n", not Tamworth Staffordshire. Tanworth is also known as Tanworth-in-Arden, it's not far from the villages of Henley-in-Arden & Shirley.

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
I agree.  I've seen Tanworth referenced loads of times in regards to gypsy births, baptisms, etc although that's not to say that Tamworth couldn't have seen some of the action as well as it's not really that far away.  Tanworth is very near Kidderminster, Droitwich, Bromsgrove, Stourpourt - all names I've come across time and time again when researching my line of Hodgkins although I'm aware that they moved about freely between Worcs, Warks and Staffs.  Maybe back in the day Tanworth didn't have the 'In-arden' suffix on it and that's why when we see just Tanworth written, it's assumed to be Tamworth - and let's be honest, the handwriting on some of the censuses leaves a lot to be desired.

There are various Tinkers Lanes in the area, 2 quite near Tanworth, 1 in Brewood, Staffs, another near Uttoxter.  I should think that they all took their names from the people who, in the past, camped there.  I can't find, yet, anything specifically about Tanworth and gypsies but I would imagine that it was like a lot of places that come up time and time again with gypsy dealings, just a place that they found comfortable to use.  Maybe there was easier camping opportunities, or the settled locals were more open to dealing with them when it came to their services, or there were forests nearby with good hunting and firewood, or there was easy access to rivers/water for their horses, or these places didn't have much in the way of local authorities to bother or hassle the gypsies - who knows!  It could have been a combination of all.

Paternal family names: Lee & Smith
Maternal family names: Hollis, Lambert, Donaghue & Osborne.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 August 10 18:14 BST (UK) »
Sophia Boswell/Hoskins married Donald Coleman.  They are together on the 1911 census childless, in a tent in Woolhope.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Lisaw2w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 11:42 BST (UK) »
I'm researching this branch of the Hodgkins as well, wondering if anyone can help me out - I'm looking for dates for the marriages of:

Elizabeth Hodgkins (widow of Henry Hodgkins, son of Edward and Penelope) to Benjamin Hodgkins

Eliza Hodgkins (daur of Benjamin and Elizabeth) to Henry/William? Boswell

Any help gratefully received!!

Offline Lisaw2w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 11:45 BST (UK) »
oops - also searching for a marriage for:

Maria Hodgkins (bp Tanworth 23/1/1825, daur Henry and Elizabeth) to Ambrose Boswell (bp 1819, son of William and Susanna)

Offline Lisaw2w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 11:47 BST (UK) »
And(!) ... a marriage for

Esther Hodgkins (bp Evesham All Sts, Wor 25/2/1829) to Thomas Boswell (son of William and Susanna)

Anyone help??  ???

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 17:03 BST (UK) »
I’ve been filling out the tree I have on this family and I now have some more questions if anyone has the answers….

Sophia (married Daniel COLEMAN)

Does anyone have any information on Daniel Coleman and his family?   The descendant who I’m helping trace their tree comes from 3 different lines of children from Edward and Penelope Hodgkins.  Three of her gt gt grandmothers (Esther Hodgkins, Trainet Hodgkins, Maria Hodgkins) were themselves granddaughters of Edward and Penelope.  Esther and Maria both married Boswell brothers (Thomas and Ambrose respectively).  Ambrose and Maria had Clara Boswell who married Moses Hodgkins, the son of Trainet Hodgkins and her husband Job Hodgkins.  Esther & Thomas’s daughter, Sophia, married Daniel Coleman and one of their daughters, Eliza, married my friend’s paternal line of Davies.  The son of Moses and Clara, also called Moses married a woman called Silvina Coleman/Butler.  We have a copy of the wedding cert and it says her surname is Coleman with her father’s name Joseph Butler.  The BMD reg gives two options though… Syvila Coleman and Syvila Butler.

I have enough evidence to prove that the ancestors of both her grandparents travelled together as they show up on census records and witnessed each other’s weddings etc… so I’m trying to work out if Syvila/Silvina Coleman/Butler may have had some family association with Daniel Coleman.  I know the Hodgkins/Hoskins are confusing but some of the Coleman’s are barely mentioned at all anywhere as though they came from nowhere!

I believe that Solomon, Mosiah (also spelt Maziah) & Gilder (born 1901) were all brothers & the sisters I've found so far in censuses were Esther, Louisa, Violet, Dinah & Edith. They were all children of Maziah HODGKINS / HOSKINS & Mary Ann DAVIS.  

Do you have any info on the family of Mary Ann Davis.  As I mentioned before, the line I’m interested in eventually married into a Davis line but we don’t have an awful lot of information on them so it would be nice to find out if they had an extended family that married into the Hodgkins in different eras.

Also, do you have any further details on Violet….?  Either a birth year or any marriage details?  I have a theory that I would like to look into but need some further details on this person first.

And just so that I’m not always just asking for details…….

For the children in the 1841 census, I have solid evidence of baptism records for all of them & I'll show them as follows :

Elizabeth Hodgkins chr 26 May 1826 Evesham dau of Benjamin & Anne Hodgkins

Solomon Hodgkins born c.1832 (he is a mystery still, no christening record so far & no census record after 1841) - my bet is he is a son of Benjamin & Anne Hodgkins

Emmanuel Hodgkins - born c.1833 probably in Evesham - he appears in 1871, 1891 & 1901 census, but also known as Manuel Hoskins & Emmanuel Hoskins - my bet is he is a son of Benjamin & Anne Hodgkins; mainly because we have records of all of Henry & Elizabeths' children right up to Henrys' death in 1835 & there is no Solomon or Emmanuel.

I don’t know if I discussed this with you in the past but there is another mention of Emmanuel Hodgkins in 1851….

Lower Mitton, Kidderminster, Worcs.
Benjamin Hodgkins  Head  68  Abt 1783  Cutler  Lawford, Warks
Lurah* Hodgkins  Wife  66  Abt 1785  Hawker  Northamptonshire
Benjamin Hodgkins  Son  26  Abt 1825  Hawker  Alcerth, Worcs
Emmanuel Hodgkins  Son  18  Abt 1833  Cutler  Knowle, Worcs
Elizabeth Hill  Dau (M)  24  Abt 1827   Nailer  Knowle, Worcs
Ann Hodgkins  GDau  4  Abt 1847    Hallow, Worcs

*This seems a bad transliteration of Sarah.

To me, this indicates that he wasn’t the son of Benjamin and Ann but the son of a Benjamin from a previous generation.  I would think that this Benjamin (1783) could be a brother to Edward (who married Penelope Archer) as the dates fit that era.  Emmanual may have been visiting his cousin, Benjamin (circa 1806), at the time of the 1841census.

But.  Also note in the 1851 census, there is mention of an Elizabeth Hodgkins (circa 1827) which fit the dates of the Elizabeth you noted as daughter for Benjamin and Ann.  However, if you have positive proof of her parents, it’s not impossible that there were 2 cousins of the same name born roughly in the same period.

Who there isn’t mention of is Solomon but if we take it as given that there was another Hodgkins family knocking around (and why wouldn’t there have been…?) then he could have belonged to that one instead of to Benjamin and Ann.

.... that took quite a bit of time to work out so I'm off for a lie down while I hope for some results...

Regards
ScallyW
Paternal family names: Lee & Smith
Maternal family names: Hollis, Lambert, Donaghue & Osborne.

Offline Hodgkins Hoskins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello it's Hodgkins Hoskins again !  Firstly could you show where Eliza dau of Sophia Hodgkins & Daniel Coleman comes in ? Do you have info on any other children of Sophia & Daniel that you could share, because all I've found is one baptism of an "Ambrose Coleman" in 1882.  There is that 1891 census in Hartlebury which lists "Sophia Hasken" & a number of children but apart from that I've found no more children.

A contact in WA has sent me a photo believed to be of Sophia when she was an older woman.  The photo apparently hung in the Crown Inn in Woolhope for many years & the woman in the photo identified as "Sophie" was known in the area as a gifted remedy-maker.

I haven't had much luck tracing the Coleman aka Butler family but there was a Butler aka Davis family around the Forest of Dean in the 1800s (cf "Ambrose Butler" in 1881 / 1901 censuses) who were close to the Hodgkins.

Finally (for now !) re: Emmanuel Hodgkins, there are actually two Emmanuel Hodgkins in census records, one born in Knowle, Warwickshire & one born in Evesham, Worcestershire.  Neither seemed to have had children.  The other brother Solomon I have found the following for in "findmypast" & also the terrific Forest of Dean family history site :

Solomon HODGKIS buried Ombersley, Worcestershire (near to Hartlebury) 16 Dec 1853 aged 23.

Finally would someone be able to help with the significance of certain areas to these families as certain areas seemed to have been more popular than others, for example Hartlebury & Woolhope in Herefordshire & also the Forest of Dean ?  Excuse my ignorance but I'd like to be able to understand what drew the people to certain areas,

Thanks & good luck

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
Im lost...very lost... ???   But Mary Ann Davis/Davies lived in Aberkenfig I was told, next door to Samson and Mary Ann Roberts who are my direct ancestors, Romany folki.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).