Author Topic: Hoskins/Hoskings family? West part of Britain.  (Read 46050 times)

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hoskins/Hoskings family? West part of Britain.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 30 June 11 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hello it's Hodgkins Hoskins again !  Firstly could you show where Eliza dau of Sophia Hodgkins & Daniel Coleman comes in ? Do you have info on any other children of Sophia & Daniel that you could share, because all I've found is one baptism of an "Ambrose Coleman" in 1882.  There is that 1891 census in Hartlebury which lists "Sophia Hasken" & a number of children but apart from that I've found no more children.

Finally would someone be able to help with the significance of certain areas to these families as certain areas seemed to have been more popular than others, for example Hartlebury & Woolhope in Herefordshire & also the Forest of Dean ?  Excuse my ignorance but I'd like to be able to understand what drew the people to certain areas,

Thanks & good luck

Well, perhaps I should have said that I *believe* her to be a daughter of Daniel and Sophia because, at the end of the day, there is scant official evidence for any of this particular family due to their propensity to use different surnames.  I'll collate the circunstancial evidence I have which ties in perfectly with family memories and implies yet another surname this lot used in the early 1900's and will be in touch again.  Give me some time though as there is a lot of it to sift through.

Regards Hartlebury..... I don't know why gypsies might have started using the area in the first place but I do know that there was a church built on Hartlebury Common by the gypsies at one point and this must have been a huge draw for the people who travelled.  I've seen documents written about it and will have to search out the links for you.... I'll send that through with everything else.

While I'm doing that..... I take it you have no further information on Violet Hodgkins / Hoskins....?

Regards
ScallyW

Paternal family names: Lee & Smith
Maternal family names: Hollis, Lambert, Donaghue & Osborne.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 30 June 11 12:05 BST (UK) »
Havent read all the posts yet sorry if Im repeating whats been said.  The only Violet Hoskins I have on my tree got married in April 1911 to Nelson Hoskins, her relation.  Violets father was shown as Mazey Hoskins. They were living at Berry Hill, Forest of Dean. I have no children for the couple. Im interested in Nelson's sister Coralena. She 'married' a Mr Jones (would love to know the first name, they didnt have a marriage cert) and had a daughter Rosina in 1913 who never had a birth cert. I used to be in touch with Rosina's daughter in Wales.
* On the 1911 census, Sophia Coleman nee Hoskins (or nee Boswell as she and her siblings used the Hoskins and Boswell names as children) born 1855 stated she had not born any children. She was with her husband in a tent in Hyde Field, Woolhope. Spencer and Emily BUTLER were nearby in a shed, they were travelling rat catchers.
I had thought Esther Hodgkins/Hoskins may be the child of Benjamin Hodgkins and Ann Daffey.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 30 June 11 18:35 BST (UK) »
  The only Violet Hoskins I have on my tree got married in April 1911 to Nelson Hoskins, her relation. 

In which case, she isn't the one I'm after tying down.....  Do you know how exactly Nelson Hoskins was her relation and which line he came from?

* On the 1911 census, Sophia Coleman nee Hoskins (or nee Boswell as she and her siblings used the Hoskins and Boswell names as children) born 1855 stated she had not born any children. She was with her husband in a tent in Hyde Field, Woolhope. Spencer and Emily BUTLER were nearby in a shed, they were travelling rat catchers. 

Yes, I've seen this census record and there are inconsistencies that are thrown up.  One is the name of the husband who is listed as Donald, not Daniel.  Another is, as you say, her claim to have had no children - and this would be a very strange thing to claim, I believe.  The other is that in 1891 she lists herself as a Widow.  A mystery, to be sure.

I had thought Esther Hodgkins/Hoskins may be the child of Benjamin Hodgkins and Ann Daffey.

I have her down as their daughter, yes.
Paternal family names: Lee & Smith
Maternal family names: Hollis, Lambert, Donaghue & Osborne.

Offline vince smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 June 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
The church at Hartlebury was run by Reuben smith. He had quite a sizeable congregation there in the early 1900's. It was part of the same revival that was instigated by ther more renowned Rodney Smith.  The local clergy are reputed to have reneged on a promise to let the Gypsy revival use it.

The church was eventually bought by a Gypsy ( a Loveridge or a Webb) and they converted it into a house.
( Scource Romany Jib)

My Dad picked hops with the Hodgkins family during the forties, the proximity of agricultural work would explain the Gypsy tie with the area.  His cousin, a Gregory married a Rosie Hodgkins ( both deceased).
I believe that she was sister to volly and Guilder etc.

Offline Hodgkins Hoskins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
Info for everyone I've dug up from census, BDM, Forest of Dean website on Carolina / Coralina Hodgkins & some of her siblings :

22 F    i. Carolina / Coralina HODGKINS / HOSKINS was born circa 1878 in Leominster, Herefordshire and died after 1911.

• Census: 1901, Broadmoor Common, Woolhope. Listed as Carolina JONES aged 22, born Leominster, Herefordshire & living with her husband Andrew JONES aged 32, a Farm Labourer born Woolhope & their children, Mary JONES aged 4, born Woolhope, Hannah JONES aged 2, born Woolhope & Maziah JONES aged 1 month, born Mordiford, Herefordshire.

Note : Carolina was two households away from Sophia & Daniel COLEMAN.

• Census: 1911, Common Hill, Fownhope, Herefordshire. Listed as Corelina JONES aged 32, born Not Known, England & living with her husband Andrew H. JONES aged 42, a Woodman in Coppice Wood born Woolhope & their children, Mary JONES aged 14, born Woolhope, Hannah JONES aged 12, born Woolhope, Marzier JONES aged 10, born Mordiford, Herefordshire, Andrew JONES aged 8, born Woolhope, Edith JONES aged 5, born Hillers Land, Coleford, Gloucestershire & Valentine JONES (dau) aged 1, born Milkwall, Gloucestershire.

Carolina married Andrew JONES in Mar 1899 in Woolhope (Ledbury V.6a P.681). Andrew was born circa 1869 in Woolhope and died between 1911 and 1924.

Marriage Notes: Listed as Carol Lina HODGKINS.

24 F    iii. Esther / Hester HODGKINS was born in Sep 1881 in Ledbury (V.6a P.462) and died in Mar 1962 in Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire (V.7b P.562) at age 80.

Birth Notes: Registered as Esther HUTCHKINS.

Death Notes: Listed as Esther JOHNS aged 81.

• Census: 1911, Gipsy Caravans, Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales. Listed as Esther JOHNS aged 29, born Hereford, married for 9 years & living with her husband William JOHNS aged 29, an Occasional Labourer on Farms born Osburne, Kent & their children, William JOHNS aged 8, born Coleford, Gloucestershire, Maisey JOHNS (son) aged 6, born Upper Monnow, Leonore JOHNS (son) aged 4, born Coleford & Fred JOHNS aged 2, born Upper Monnow.

In the next caravan was David JOHNS aged 24, an Occasional Fruit Picker born Forest of Dean & living wth his wife of 4 years Harriet JOHNS aged 23, born N.K. & their children (both born Upper Monmow), Amelia JOHNS aged 4 & Esther JOHNS aged 2.

Esther married William JOHNS, son of William JOHNS "King of the Forest of Dean Gipsies" and Eliza UNKNOWN, circa 1902 in Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. William was born circa 1881 in Osbourne, Kent, England, died in Mar 1948 in Ash Cottage, Trowgreen, Gloucestershire at age 67, and was buried 2nd April 1948 in Clearwell, Gloucestershire.

26 F    v. Louisa HODGKINS / HOSKINS was born circa 1888 in Leominster, Herefordshire and died in Dec 1979 in Evesham, Worcestershire (V.27 P.219) at age 91.

Death Notes: Listed as Louise JOHNS aged 91.

• Census: 1911, Milkwall, Coleford, Gloucestershire. Listed as Lewis (?) JOHNS aged 23, married 3 years, born Leominster & living with her husband William JOHNS aged 27, a Licensed Hawker born Kent, their son B. JOHNS aged 2, born Cinderford, Gloucestershire, Williams' cousin Milson JOHNS aged 21, a Licensed Hawker born Cinderford & Louisas' sister Violet HASKINS (?) aged 19, a Licensed Hawker born Herefordshire

Louisa married William JOHNS 30th May 1905 in Christchurch, Gloucestershire. William was born circa 1882 in Kent, England and died after 1905.

Marriage Notes: Listed as Louisa HODGSKINS aged 21 of Berry Hill, daughter of Maziah HODGSKINS, Labourer & William JOHN aged 23 of Berry Hill, Gipsey Labourer, son of David JOHN. Witnesses were G.A. BARNES & Henrietta SMITH.

28 F    vii. Violet HODGKINS was born in Mar 1892 in Droitwich, Worcestershire (V.6c P.354) and died after 1921.

Birth Notes: Registered as Violet HODGKINS.

Violet married Nelson HOSKINS aka Nelson JOHNS 4th April 1911 in Christchurch, Gloucestershire. Nelson was born circa 1891 in Cinderford, Gloucestershire and died after 1921.

Marriage Notes: Listed as Violet HOSKINS aged 19, a Gypsey of Berry Hill, daughter of Mazey HOSKINS, a Gypsey & Nelson HOSKINS aged 20, a Gypsey of Berry Hill, no further info. Witnesses were Louisa JOHNS & Ada HOSKINS.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hodgkins Hoskins:  You are a genius..... ;D  absolutely wonderful to get this!!!  Thankyou for sharing. I never thought I'd get the name of Coralina's husband.  I've been told by family that Andrew was one of 24 children!  He and Coralina also had a daughter Rosina in 1913, who married John Roberts, a gypsy although they never officially married. Their daughter lives in Newport, Wales. Coralina's sister Ada married Noah Johns.  Esther allegedly had 16 kids....this is only what Im told.
**I have Nelson's birth cert, who married Violet Hoskins.  He was born 5 April 1892 to unwed mother Harriet but adopted by Coralina's family.  He was born at Nelson, East Dean.  I dont have any record of Louisa Hoskins 1888.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Hodgkins Hoskins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 18 February 12 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello rebekahm28, In regards to the Hodgkins / Hoskins & related families, have you been to Eric Trudgills' website to view his history of Edward Hodgkins & also, this month (Feb) he posted a history of the Butler & related families.  Many of the loose ends with the Hodgkins / Hoskins Eric seems to have sorted out.  He has gone straight to the source & got original certs & viewed original church records.  Get back to me & tell me what you think of his info,

Sean

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 14:28 BST (UK) »
Crikey, only just seen this message, 4 months late......I'll hopefully find Eric's site again. Someone on another site else mentioned looking for it and it not being there.

Offline mkpayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgkin/Hoskings family? West part of Britain.
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 13 September 12 19:18 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of George Hodgkins (b c1810) and Sarah (Du{a}ffy) Hodgkins (b 1810) of Evesham, Worcestershire but had come to a dead end with my research some time ago, and prior to discovering this web site a few days ago.  The latter remarried after George died while quite young.
Mention of this couple and their children is made in the communications but am finding it difficult linking in the many other families etc that are listed, and wonder whether there is a family tree or genealogical database i.e. Gedcom file that a can access to enable me to find/clarify possible links.
Would be grateful for any information anyone can provide, and would be pleased to reciprocate with details I have uncovered from my g.g.g. grandparents (George & Sarah).