Author Topic: Hoskins/Hoskings family? West part of Britain.  (Read 46486 times)

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hoskins/Hoskings family? West part of Britain.
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 13 September 12 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi mkpayne,

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but it's where I got a lot of information from years ago.

http://www.stevensonfamily.plus.com/fhsteven/grpf2538.htm

I've linked it to the page that concerns George Hodgkins although there is no wife mentioned for him but if you are sure of who he was you can follow back up the line and then sidewards.

There are many details on the site but no links or references to Ancestry records so you may wish to follow up and confirm the details individually as much as you can before you enter them into your own tree.
Paternal family names: Lee & Smith
Maternal family names: Hollis, Lambert, Donaghue & Osborne.

Offline mkpayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 13 September 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi ScallyW (? Scallywag lol)
I've only perused the link file you sent me, and followed some of the lines which seem to confirm the George & Sarah (Duffy) Hodgkins I'm interested in are one and the same. I had already established one of their children was my g.g.grandfather Samuel b c1832 in Warwickshire and married a Mary Ann Aldington at Elmley Castle, Worcestershire in 1858.
I will now take great delight in studying all the families within this link, and those I am able to confirm as relevant I can include in my database.
Thank you so much for your speedy, but more importantly, valuable response. Malcolm

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 14 September 12 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi ScallyW (? Scallywag lol)

Busted!   ;)  My Nan's nickname for me as a child.

I've only perused the link file you sent me, and followed some of the lines which seem to confirm the George & Sarah (Duffy) Hodgkins I'm interested in are one and the same. I had already established one of their children was my g.g.grandfather Samuel b c1832 in Warwickshire and married a Mary Ann Aldington at Elmley Castle, Worcestershire in 1858.
I will now take great delight in studying all the families within this link, and those I am able to confirm as relevant I can include in my database.
Thank you so much for your speedy, but more importantly, valuable response. Malcolm

If you find anything interesting, don't forget to come back and let us know.

ScallyW

Offline mkpayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 15 September 12 18:16 BST (UK) »
I have now had chance to more thoroughly delve through the Hodgkins database, and having proven as far as one possibly can that there is a link, I have now been able to extend my ancestoral line by a further two generations i.e. Edward & Penelope (Archer) Hodgkins --> Edward & Mary Hodgkins, the latter being my g.g.g.g.g. grandparents. Of course there are also all the siblings and their descendants.

Once again cheers, and offer anyone that has an interest in "my" line to post their interests.

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 06 December 12 11:09 GMT (UK) »
These are my Warwicks HODGKINS although there are also numbers in HRF and WOR. I was unable to include the full list for WKS because of limits in the system. Please let me know if you want the rest.

WKS Alcester bp2/3/1823 Benjamin s/o Benjamin/Sarah, hkrs of A

WKS Allesley bp4/3/1836 Catherine d/o Joseph/Catherine, knf.gr, a trav

WKS Arley bp23/10/1836 Mary d/o Charles/Harriet, trav’g brazier of Tanworth

WKS Aston Cantlow bp18/4/1841 Riley s/o Joseph/Ann, trav’g pedlar of Newnham

WKS Billesley bp10/12/1843 Charles s/o Joseph/Ann, barra trader of Tanworth

WKS Binton bp9/10/1836 Edward s/o Samuel/Mary, tinman of Tanworth WKS

WKS Binton bp15/7/1827 Frederick s/o Thomas/Mary, knf.gr of Tamworth [Tanworth]

WKS Brinklow bp21/5/1820 Charlotte d/o Joseph/Catharine, a trav’g tinker

WKS Brinklow bp20/1/1833 Sarah d/o Joseph/Catherine, grinder and tinker, a tramper of Chelslyrl [Cheslyn] Hayes nr Cannock STF

WKS Butlers Marston bp10/6/1877 Charles s/o William/Harriet, lab of B.M

WKS Coughton bp27/11/1842 Prudence d/o Charles/Harriet, trav’g brazier soj’g at C., but belonging to the psh of Tanworth

WKS Exhall (nr Coventry) bp23/12/1827 Job s/o Joseph/Catherine, trav’g tinker of E

WKS Fillongley bp17/7/1839 Ezekiah s/o John/Patience, trav of Corby

WKS Fillongley bp25/7/1842 Mary Ann d/o Joseph/Catherine, tinker of Grendon

WKS Grafton bp17/2/1838 Thomas s/o Joseph/Ann, tramper of psh of Tanworth

WKS Grendon bp24/11/1822 Joseph s/o Joseph/Catherine, grinder of Cheswardine STF

WKS Hampton in Arden bp4/11/1802 Letitia d/o Benjamin/Mary (noi)

WKS Hatton bp23/9/1832 Samuel s/o George/Sarah, trades pottery, of Tanworth

WKS Hatton bp23/9/1832 Henry s/o Henry/Elizabeth, pottery.dlr, of Tanworth

WKS Henley in Arden Charles s/o Edward/Penelope (noi)

WKS Hillmorton bp11/4/1824 Elizabeth d/o Joseph/Catherine, tinker trav’g

WKS Keresley bp21/6/1856 Amaline s/o Job/Trainette, ch.mnd, knf.gr etc. of in a tent, K

WKS Keresley bp24/5/1858 John s/o Job/Trainette, ch.mnd, knf.gr etc. of in a tent, K. & elsewhere

WKS Keresley bp21/2/1860 Joseph s/o Job/Trainette, ch.mnd, knf.gr etc. of in a tent, no house dweller

WKS Keresley bp24/4/1862 Letitia d/o Job/Trainette, ch.mnd, knf.gr etc. of in a tent, Corley

WKS Keresley bp28/6/1865 Tom s/o Job/Trainette, ch.mnd, knf.gr etc. of in a tent, Allersley

WKS Keresley bp30/9/1866 William s/o Job/Trainette, ch.mnd, knf.gr etc. of in a tent, no house dweller, Allersely

WKS Keresley bp23/5/1868 Cornelius s/o John/Sarah, rz.gr of in a tent, K

WKS Knowle bp30/5/1825 Charlotte d/o Benjamin/Sarah, e-w.dlr of K

WKS Knowle bp14/3/1830 Emmanuel s/o Benjamin/Sarah, brazier of K

WKS Lillington bp23/2/1817 Samuel s/o Edward/Penelope, travs with e-w of Tanworth

WKS Nuneaton bp2/10/1802 Joseph s/o Edward/Sarah (noi)

(GLOnow)WKS Quinton bp27/12/1829 Keziah d/o Charles/Harriet, travs of Admington Lane

WKS Rowington bp18/9/1814 Riley s/o Edward/Penelope, vender of crockery

WKS Salford Priory bp21/1/1838 Harriet d/o Benjamin/Elizabeth, tinker of Evesham

WKS Spernall bp7/6/1812 Joseph s/o Edward/Penelope, of Tanworth [HODGEKINS sic]

TL

Offline debs_shmebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 08 April 13 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, have just seen this thread. Theana/ Tenney (daughter of Esther)who married Moses Smith is my gg grandmother. I also saw some discussion of Reuben Smith and his church. Reuben is my ggg uncle. His great grandson James Smith married Tehenney's granddaughter Rosina Hodgkiss -they are my grandparents. I had hit a real brick wall with Tehenney, she is on the 1891 census with Moses on hartlebury common but could not find either of them anywhere else so thanks for everything you have written here- is very exciting!
I came across this looking for Rosina's father James Hodgkiss died Worcester 1943 born abt 1873. He is a total brick wall! Was wondering if anyone has any info on him? He married Tehenney's daughter Harriet, have photos of both and a possible of Tehenney but it is unverified!

Offline debs_shmebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 08 April 13 23:09 BST (UK) »
Scally w, would be really interested to know where the documents about my ggg uncle Reuben smith's church were that you read, could you please tell me?

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
Scally w, would be really interested to know where the documents about my ggg uncle Reuben smith's church were that you read, could you please tell me?

I don't remember seeing any official documents as such, just accounts written by people reporting that there was a church there at some point.

I've had a search to see if I can find the original reference I found for it and I came up with this text posted on a gypsy research site, although I can't say that this is where I first saw it or not as it was a long time ago.

THE GYPSIES CHURCH ON HARTLEBURY COMMON, WORCESTERSHIRE

Built of wood with arched leaded windows and a tiny cross on one of the gables, the Gypsies on Hartlebury Common would be summoned to church by a small bell that hung on a nearby tree.
Hartlebury Common had long been a regular stopping place and before the church was built, Gypsy Reuben Smith erected a mission tent there. Around 1910, the Gypsies were evicted from the common, among them John Loveridge, who then bought some land, and with his son-in-law Will Webb, decided to fund the building of a permanent church.
For 17 years it was well supported, sometimes by a congregation of up to seventy Gypsies.
In 1927 the Vicar of Stourport decided to close the church while the Travellers were away and although when approached he said it would be re-opened when the Gypsies returned from hop-picking, it was an empty promise.
The Gypsy church remained closed and eventually became the home of John Loveridge’s daughter.

-------------------------

I suspect, but cannot say for sure, that this quote may have come from Romany Routes - Volume 7 No 4 - Sep 2005, if that's any help at all.

Regards
ScallyW.

Offline croome48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 17:20 BST (UK) »
My husbands grandmother was a sister to Ester. her name was Carolina Hodgkins.