Author Topic: Hoskins/Hoskings family? West part of Britain.  (Read 45818 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hoskins/Hoskings family? West part of Britain.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 14:02 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much for replying.  I'll send my email by private message, I'd love to share what I have with you.  Yes, those names are all one family as far as Im concerned so we're talking about the same people. I bought Nelsons birth cert as I was told he also was a sibling of the others but on the cert he was illigitimate, his mother was Harriet Hoskins.  Im afraid I dont have anything on the Hodgkins name though. I agree, they seemed to frequent a small area of the country and not the Kent/Sussex circuit like many other travellers.
I think the Noah Boswell living in Meriden is related to this family.  PS, children I have for Mosiah and Mary Ann are: Ada (married Noah John and had 7 kids), Coralina, Soloman (married Lena Davis), Esther, Dinah, Edith, Gilder born 1900, Mosiah and Patience born 1903. Coralina married a Mr Jones and had girls Rosina (1913) and Dolly. Many of the family didnt have birth/marriage certs. **Could Senty actually be Genty?  This name runs in the gypsy side of my family.
My notes on Ada:
Witnessed her brother Nelson's marriage in 1911. The other witness was Louisa John, who I think was related to Ada's husband.  On 1911 census with husband and four eldest children at 4 Reeses Terrace, Cwmcarn, Wales. Noah spoke English and Welsh, the rest of the family spoke English. The house had 5 rooms, not including any bathroom.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 August 10 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hello, I noticed some of the posts on this page and it rings a bell..

I believe Esther was the Esther HODGKINS born in 1829 in Evesham, Worcs, the daughter of Benjamin HODGKINS & Anne DAFFEY. Benjamin was a knife grinder & eldest son of Edward HODGKINS & Penelope ARCHER, my great-great-great-great-grandparents.

I have also been researching the Hodgkins family from Worcs and have come across some of the names mentioned on here in relation to the line I am interested in.

I have Edward Hodgkins and Penelope Archer noted but nothing on a son of theirs by the name of Benjamin.  The children I have for them are Henry, Charles, Thomas, Edward, George, Joseph, Riley, Samuel and Maria.  Interestingly, I have Thomas Hodgkins down as marrying a Mary Daffy, daughter of Joseph Daffy and Lucy Roberts.  I'm wondering if she would be related to the Anne Daffy you mention in your post.  The only sibling I had for her up till now was a brother called Thomas but I've just found a user-generated tree by someone who claims Sarah, Elin, Maria, Alfred and Elizabeth as further siblings, all from Evesham, Worcs. 

It would be great to confirm another line of Hodgkins in the area because I have a couple of 'rogue' names floating about in the principal line that interests me and so far I've been unable to find their descendants or tie down how they fit in exactly but it's my belief that they are some sort of cousin who married into 'my' line.
Paternal family names: Lee & Smith
Maternal family names: Hollis, Lambert, Donaghue & Osborne.

Offline Hodgkins Hoskins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 August 10 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hello again. it's HodgkinsFamily here, we;ve already shared some info. I can confirm all those you mention, Charles, Henry, Thomas, Edward, George, Samuel, Joseph, Riley & youngest Maria were all Hodgkins siblings & all children of Edward Hodgkins & Penelope Archer.

There is a record surviving of the 1821 census for Tanworth & Edward & Penelope are listed there with all those children.

Would you be able to help me possibly ? I haven't been able to find much out about Penelope, but I understand there were Archers more down into Oxfordshire & Berkshire who travelling families. Would you know where to start.

There was I believe an eldest son of Edward & Penelope & he was Benjamin Hodgkins, father of Esther Hodgkins who married Thomas Boswell & who were the ancestors of many of the Hoskins of Herefordshire & Worcestershire. Benjamin is not listed on the 1821 census. His first wife was Anne Daffey, one of 3 sisters who married 3 Hodgkins men & all children of Joseph Daffey & Lucy Roberts.

Charles Hodgkins married Harriet Smith of the Jasper Smith Headington Smiths. After Charles died she married Charles Fletcher.

Henry Hodgkins married Elizabeth Cobourne & after Henry died in 1835 Elizabeth married his brother Benjamin.

Thomas is as you mention. The Daffey info can be found through the Mormon IGI & through censuses for Evesham.

Edward Hodgkins married Mary Sherriff, but Edward died young.

George Hodgkins married Sarah Daffey, but George died quite young leaving Sarah & 3 children & she re-married.

Samuel Hodgkins married Mary Hundy.

JOseph Hodgkins married Ann Tolley (my ancestors). I'd be interested to know if anyone has come across any travelling people named Tolley from the Worcestershire / Warwickshire because I think Ann was also from a travelling family.

Riley Hodgkins died young.

Maria Hodgkins married James Lines of a beesom-making travelling family around Warwickshire.

Offline daisymac64

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 August 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there my gggg Grandmother was Sara Archer born in West Oxfordshire she married my gggg Grandfather William Clarke from Stow in 1829 in moreton in marsh,the couple went on to have 10 children they travelled around the cotswolds before turning uop in Tetbury in 1841 they then settled for good in moreton in marsh  1851where Sara had family,William was a coal dealer untill he was convicted on 2 seperate occasions for larceny after his sentances he worked selling horses before working as an Ag labourer right up untill he was 74 he died in 1871 leaving Sara a pauper she went to live with her son William and his wife Mary Hudson just outside Stow.I have various records for the Traveller Archer family starting with a gaol record for Saras Dad William Archer discribed as a Travelling peddler the other records i gotfrom parish records they didnt always turn up in the census or always give the right age but maybe you can link your Penelope up to some of them
1851 and 1862 gaol record Henry Archer Hawker
Henry Archer hawker
Ann Archer wife servant
Rueben son stable man
 1861 moreton in marsh
Fanny Archer pauper
Thomas Archer horse groom
Joseph Archer horse dealer
1861 stow on the wold
William 51 b Beicester basket maker
Wife? 50 b Stow on the Wold
John son 17 b Stow Ag labourer
1871 Joseph Archer horse groom stow on the wold
1871stow onthe wold
William Archer widower 58 b Beicestershire wood seller
Lilly Archer 3 b Maugersbury
John Archer 39 b Stow
Henry Archer 12 born maugersbury
James Archer 6 b Chipping Norton
Helen step daughter 12 b ?
1881 moreton in marsh
William Archer24 colt breaker
Annie Archer servant
1891 stow on the Wold
Charles Archer 62
William 34
James Archer widower 50
Herny Archer 55
Joseph no age given .(all Ag labourers given as occupation but no record of wives?)
it seems that as a whole the family at different stages travelled between  Moreton in marsh,Stow and Maugersbury in gloucs and Beicester and Chipping norton in Oxfordshire settling at times atstow and moreton,i have some more records somewhere which ill dig out hope this has been of some help
kind regards
Daisy

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 August 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
They were all children of Maziah HODGKINS / HOSKINS & Mary Ann DAVIS. He wasn;t John, thats why he is in the 1911 census as M. Maziah was born in 1857 in Ledbury district, Herefordshire (registered as Bazire HOSKINS).

Esther & Thomases children were known through their life sometimes as BOSWELL, also HODGKINS also HOSKINS even HASKEN. In all there was.....Sophia (married Daniel COLEMAN),

A point of interest in case people want to make a note of it....

Maziah was listed as Macer Hodgkins on the BMD Wedding Records.  He married Mary Ann Davis in Q3 of 1878 in Ledbury, Herefordshire and his sister, Sophia is listed on the same page (Ledbury Vol 6a, page 761 - indicating a marriage on the same day) marrying Daniel Colman.

Edited to add...

Q1 1899, Ledbury 6a Page 681  Carol Lina Hodgkins married an Andrew Jones.  She's entered twice as Carol Lina and Carolina but I would assume this is the Coralina referred to above.

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 August 10 21:55 BST (UK) »
This is rather a long shot, but I have the forenames of a family whose surname was Hoskins or Hoskings and they were born in the last half of the 1800's.    The names I have are Nelson, Mosiah, Soloman, Dinah, Coralina/Coralena, Gilder, Ada, Patience and Esther.

There is a BMD wedding record on Ancestry for a Esther Hodgkins marrying a Williams Johns in Q4 of 1912 in Hereford - this may be one of yours.  Interestingly, the other record on the same page is a David Johns marrying a Harriet Smith so it could have been a joint wedding of relations.

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 August 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hello again. it's HodgkinsFamily here, we;ve already shared some info.

There was I believe an eldest son of Edward & Penelope & he was Benjamin Hodgkins, father of Esther Hodgkins who married Thomas Boswell & who were the ancestors of many of the Hoskins of Herefordshire & Worcestershire. Benjamin is not listed on the 1821 census. His first wife was Anne Daffey,

Henry Hodgkins married Elizabeth Cobourne & after Henry died in 1835 Elizabeth married his brother Benjamin.

Edward Hodgkins married Mary Sherriff, but Edward died young.

Hi again  (I really should have put all this in one post but I think sub-consciously I'm a piece worker at heart so think I earn more, the more items I work on).

I've found a 1841 census record in Omberlsey, Worcs with the following people which w/could confirm what you say about Benjamin and his brother's wife, Elizabeth....

Benjamin Hodgkins    1806
Elizabeth Hodgkins    1806
Penelope Hodgkins    1825  (transcribed as Penebaper)
Elizabeth Hodgkins    1826
Maria Hodgkiins         1827
Esther Hodgkins        1829
Solomon Hodgkiins    1832
Emmanuel Hodgkins  1834
Harriet Hodgkins        1838  (transcribed as Hedgham)
Eliza Hodgkiins           1841  (transcribed as Hedgham)

+

Edward Hodgkins      1796  (transcribed as Hedgham)
Hannah Hodgkins      1816  (transcribed as Hedgham)

Now, if we know that the Esther listed here is daughter of Benjamin and his first wife Anne Daffey and we know (from previous correspondence, yes?) that Elizabeth and Henry Hodgkins had a daughter called Maria who went on to marry Ambrose Boswell (the line I'm following), it's probable that the Maria listed above is daughter of Elizabeth and step-daughter of Benjamin (the problem being that 1841 census never recorded the precise relation) even though the census gives her birth year as 1827 and I believe we had it down as 1822.

What would be interesting is to find out who the other children listed are off-spring of.... Benjamin and Anne or Elizabeth and Henry as both of them would have brought current children into the new marriage.  We can assume that the two youngest are of Elizabeth and Benjamin together. 

Any ideas.....?

Oh, and any ideas of who the Edward Hodgkins would be?  He is listed as Tinker as is Benjamin but his age doesn't fit that of Benjamin's father and if his brother Edward died young then presumably this wouldn't be him either.

Offline Hodgkins Hoskins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 August 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
HI again ScallyW. To start at the end first ! Edward Hodgkins, shown here with his 2nd wife Hannah, is my 4Xgreat-grandfather & as I believe, the father of said Benjamin Hodgkins. I have the death record of bothe Edward & Penelope & I have the marriage record in Tanworth, Warwickshire of Edward & Hannah.

By the way, do you or anyone know of any Romany / traveller connection with the area of Tanworth, Warwickshire ? It seems to be a place our Hodgkins gravitated around, coming back to all the time. It is actually a series of hamlets based around Tanworth, including Warings Green, Earlswood, Hillshaw Heath & Tanworth itself. I'd love to know the significance & possible connection of the lane where the Hodgkins & other related families are often show in censuses : Tinkers Lane. Could it be named after the tinker families who frequented this area ?

For the children in the 1841 census, I have solid evidence of baptism records for all of them & I'll show them as follows :

Penelope Hodgkins chr 23 Jan 1825 St Mary Magdalenes Tanworth dau of Henry & Elizabeth Hodgkins (Henry a Hawker of Salter St, Tanworth)
Elizabeth Hodgkins chr 26 May 1826 Evesham dau of Benjamin & Anne Hodgkins
Maria Hodgkins chr 23 Dec 1827 Tanworth dau of Henry & Elizabeth Hodgkins
Esther Hodgkins chr 25 Feb 1829 Evesham dau of Benjamin & Anne Hodgkins
Solomon Hodgkins born c.1832 (he is a mystery still, no christening record so far & no census record after 1841) - my bet is he is a son of Benjamin & Anne Hodgkins
Emmanuel Hodgkins - born c.1833 probably in Evesham - he appears in 1871, 1891 & 1901 census, but also known as Manuel Hoskins & Emmanuel Hoskins - my bet is he is a son of Benjamin & Anne Hodgkins; mainly because we have records of all of Henry & Elizabeths' children right up to Henrys' death in 1835 & there is no Solomon or Emmanuel.
Harriet Hodgkins chr 21 Jan 1838 Salford, Warwickshire dau of Benjamin & Elizabeth Hodgkins
Eliza Hodgkins chr 24 Jan 1841 Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire dau of Benjamin & Elizabeth Hodgkins

There was also a son of Benjamin & Elizabeth named William Hodgkins, also known as William Hoskins born in 1845. So you're right in my opinion, the children in the census are made up of Benjamin & Elizabeths from each of their first marriages & the final two Harriet & Eliza are their shared daughters.

I believe that Harriet married Henry Loveridge & had some 8 children, however many of the children seem to disappear from census records & BDM records after 1881. Harriet & Henry died in Pontypool, Wales in the 1880s. Eliza married Henry Boswell & seems to have had just one daughter Harriet, of whom there is no record after a marriage record in 1879/1880.

Hope this is soemthing to go on & I hope all the other readers of this topic find something in it & if anyone has any info they'd like to share, particularly about Tanworth or Hodgkins Romanies further back, please join in,

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 August 10 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, its Tamworth I think, not far from me.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).