Author Topic: Jessie Crown and Philip Cohen Glasgow  (Read 9674 times)

Offline igeoff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Art Gallery/Museum Guide/Docent
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Crown and Philip Cohen Glasgow
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Some activity continues on off line -- Justin is in contact with the Krok family and trying to go further back, as am I using jewishgen resources.

However I am also looking closer in time and have tracked them rather easily in Australia. I am now trying to fill a gap by tracking Jessie and Philip and their two children on their journey(s) to Australia.

The family thought Jessie and young Hannah and Bernard had come separately from Philip. That appears to be the case.

I have found Jessie and the children (using the resources on findmypast). They sailed for Sydney on 22 August 1912 on the Shaw Saville line ship Pakeha, which was bound ultimately for New Zealand. It now seems only a matter of time until I track them down arriving in Sydney (though someone who lives there may need to do a hand search).

However, Philip (Phillip -- both spellings crop up here and there) seems more difficult. Findmypast has no record of him traveling to Australia from anywhere in Britain as a passenger. Neither does he appear as a crew member -- but their lists there apparently are seriously incomplete (as a personal example, I know on exactly which voyage of which ship my other grandfather came from London to Australia as a crew member -- I have the crew list --  but findmypast does not seem to have him).

So, any suggestions on how to proceed??

Geoff
Isaacs and Bollegraaf families (Australia 1911 on, London around 1900 to 1912. The Netherlands before that. Herman Isaacs (in London and AU), Herman Izak (in Netherlands)

Elizabeth Italiaander (b Amsterdam 1876) and her antecedents.

Jessie Crown (born probably Lithuania, died in Sydney AU in 1952)
Philip Cohen, her husband (born Latvia or Russia, died Sydney AU 1933) and their antecedents and families.

Offline shapma4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 10 September 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
Geoff - I stumbled across this thread looking into Rietavas, whence my family emanate.  It is pretty well documented by a family genealogist but as far as I know we know little about the first wife of my paternal great grandfather, Borukh Shapiro.  She is shown on the tree as Ita Bloch (or Kolnick - possibly that is nee Kolnick).  I mention it as you seem also to have hit something of a Bloch dead end.

Marcus

Offline igeoff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 11 September 10 02:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks shapm4.

In fact in the last many months I have made no more progress.

In particular, while I have contacted descendants of Jessie's parents, they are in such ill health that they have been to date unable to comment on the Krok--Crown hypothesis so well established by Justin.

I live in hope, but due to health issues of my own (soon to be resolved, I hope) have not pursued the Kroks any further.

Cheers
Geoff
Isaacs and Bollegraaf families (Australia 1911 on, London around 1900 to 1912. The Netherlands before that. Herman Isaacs (in London and AU), Herman Izak (in Netherlands)

Philip Cohen, her husband (born Latvia or Russia, died Sydney AU 1933) and their antecedents and families.

Offline igeoff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 11 September 10 02:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry shapm4, I was so focussed on the Krok side that I neglected to notice you were talking about the Blochs.

However, in fact for health reasons I have been off this stuff for six months or more and hope to get back to it soon.

As I recall it, one of the Bloch problems is that it is/was a fairly common name in various variants in Eastern Europe.

Hopefully when I am once more immersed in this research and have my own data more fully at my mental fingertips I will come back to your contribution and respond more cogently.

Cheers
Geoff

Offline shapma4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 11 September 10 06:55 BST (UK) »
Well Geoff - best wishes on the health side and if we can compare notes on Blochs from Rietavas down the track, do get back in touch.

Marcus

Offline igeoff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 14 July 17 03:42 BST (UK) »
Here we are in 2017, about 7 years on, and I gave finally gotten around to joining the Litvak SIG of JewishGen.org.

Sadly, there in the All Lithuanian Database I found voter registration records for Sholom Berko Krok, his wife, Etel and daughters Stira Yudes and Libe Raykha -- as well as his 77 year old mother, Chava. They are dated 1908! This seems to put an end to Justin's Krok hypothesis.

I enjoyed having it for 7 years or so. And NOW I find that at least one of my 3 --4th DNA "cousins" has Kroks in his family tree. However, Krok (present day Krakes) is a village in the right area and it is possible that its inhabitants took Krok as a surname for use outside the village.

Cheers,
Geoff