Author Topic: Gregory family  (Read 10591 times)

Offline Kiwi Lass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gregory family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 04:12 GMT (UK) »
oops...Mistake John's father George was a groom.

Offline 0121mariec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think my short hand was a bit confussing - sorry.  I put the three surnames as when I look at the marriage index it gave me the choice of 3 Annes, so George could have been married to Anne Goodway or Anne Hawtyn or Anne Lovell.  I guess you have to have find the parish record or buy the cert to find out which one.  Marie

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 January 12 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think I can narrow down the choice of three Annes, the names with the same marriage details are,

John BEEVES
George GREGORY
Elisha NEWTON
Richard RILEY

Anne GOODWAY
Anne HAWTYN
Elizabeth HAYNES
Anne LOVELL

Richard RILEY
Anne HAWTIN or HAWTYN 
16 Oct 1840   Banbury, Oxford

A bit of a chance but I found a Hannah who migth be Anne GOODWAYs sister,

05 May 1840 Banbury St Mary OXF Banns
John WILSON of Chipping Warden, full age, bachelor, farmer, father Thomas, farmer
Hannah GOODWAY of Banbury (Calthorpe Lane), full age, spinster, father Thomas, sawyer

In 1841 it looks like John and Hannah WILSON are in Chipping Warden,  HO107/795/6  f.3  p.1.

In 1851 Hannah WILSON widow has a sister Ann NEWTON, widow, living with her in Banbury,  HO107/1734  f.366  p.23, this could suppport the theory that Ann/e GOODWAY married Elisha NEWTON. There is a death for an

Elisha NEWTON  Jun Q  Banbury  16  2

So it looks like George GREGORY married Anne LOVELL but the only way to be sure is to get the cert. or one of the children's birth certificates.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Kiwi Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 January 12 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy,

Thanks for that I appreciate all the info.

I will get into this as soon as I'm back from holiday.

Take Care Robyn.

Offline Kiwi Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 22:55 BST (UK) »

Offline Kiwi Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Silkrosie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Ive just started a family tree and are trying to find links to
John & Eliza Gregory who emigrated (immigrated?)  23 July 1874 on ship Miltiades with 2 children from "Gravesend"  England. 
(Childrens names George and Edith.

then in NZ other children born were:
Florence, 
Alice,
Albert
Alfred
Ashwin
Ashley
(birth dates unknown).

My question is: Who were John Gregory's parents names or siblings names?  where was he born or what area did the family come from (England somewhere I suppose).   all I know is that John & Eliza lived in Puni, near Auckland, New zealand.

Hi, if you are still looking for info on John Gregory's parents, They were originally from bicester in Oxfordshire (well father George at least). George b1820, was the last child of John (1783, ludgershall, buckinghamshire - 9 miles from Bicester) and Eleanor Timms 1783-1822. I'm a Descendant of George's elder brother John b1817 d1883. John 1783-1841 died in Banbury, around which time George's eldest two children, Harriet and Mary Anne were born, apparently then they moved to gloucestershire between 1842 and 1846 when son Emmanuel was born there.

I've put my dna on the family tree dna company, and sure hope other Gregory descendants will do the same, so we can confirm the family tree.
Frances
Pinder (Middlesex)
Turner (Essex - southend)
Keemer (Portsmouth and Essex)
Shelton (East London)

Offline PAUL SIMMONS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 August 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
In 1962 a Thomas Winton Gregory completed a FT from the arrival of John and Eliza Gregory's arrival in NZ aboard the 'Miltitades' in 1874. Within that, there is considerable information about their early days in New Zealand. I still have a copy of that FT. I am the grandchild of one of their children, Florence, who married Alfred Percival Wright in 1908. If anyone would like to know more (or extract info from the FT),  I am willing to discuss.