Author Topic: MACKENZIE of Strathgarve  (Read 7236 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MACKENZIE of Strathgarve
« on: Thursday 14 January 10 12:58 GMT (UK) »
<<General Evening Post (London, England), Thursday, December 11, 1788; Issue 8594.
Saturday last, the 6th inst., died at the Clyde Iron-works in Scotland, John Mackenzie,Esq of Strathgarve>>

Is anyone following the Mackenzie family of Strathgarve?  Above is a snippet from a 1788 newspaper which shows the death of a John Mackenzie, Esq of Strathgarve who founded the Clyde Ironworks company in Old Monkland, Lanarkshire in 1782 - prior to that he overseered the building of the Wilson Ironworks in Lanarkshire. 

I think he must have taken some of his Ross-shire clan with him and I'm trying to find a link to my Mackenzie family of Donald Mackenzie, clerk of Clyde Ironworks died 1827 (and his wife Janet Cameron d1822). 

If the above Donald wasn't family, maybe that Don's son-in-law was.  He was another Donald Mackenzie, master blacksmith of Clyde Ironworks (born 1776 in Ross-shire d1855 in Lanarks).   This latter Don's parents were ALEXANDER MACKENZIE and JEAN MACKENZIE and I'm trying to discover siblings/parents of  Alexr. & Jean.  I know their children were born in Balloan cottages on the Fairburn estate in Ross & Cromarty. unfortunately the vicar didn't bother putting father's occupations which would give clues to reasons for living in any particular place.  And we all know wives weren't necessarily born & bred in the place their husband's worked.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MACKENZIE of Strathgarve
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 10 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

not a family I have been following directly myself, but strays from Coigach ended up late 18th century at Achnaclerach in Strathgarve, possibly a sister of that family married John
II of Strathgarve, but no documentation to show that.

Here is a scratch chart with data from a bunch of sources;

Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 10 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don,

You come galloping to my aid yet again  ;D  Thanks for posting your chart.  Currently, I think my Donald McK, master blacksmith, (b Urray 1776 worked @ Clyde Ironworks) named one of his sons John in honour of John M'K of Strathgarve.

As so often happens, it's migrants who wrote home and kept letters for posterity - unfortunately my line were stay-at-homes and no such clues are forthcoming  :-\

My Alexander, 1st generation, could have been born elsewhere and removed to Urray with his wife due to Fairburn having a new owner.  On the other hand there was a Jean M'K born in Inverness 1760 with the right named parents - but usually females in my line never married so young (she would be abt 16), thus I'm not keen to bring her into my line.

Thanks again.
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 10 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting your chart.

As I noted, it is scratch, just remembered Brian MacKenzie-Hanson desscends from the Strathgarve MKs, he has a more extensive descendancy chart at http://www.mackenzie-hanson.co.uk/genealogy/desc.html

His chart differs a bit from my scratch chart, as he has done focussed research I'd trust his data...

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 February 10 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link. 

Ref my Alex Mackenzie (born ?) -m- Jean Mackenzie (born ?)
Interestingly Brian MH includes a few given names William in his list which is coincidentally what I believe might be the name of Jean Mackenzie's father.  Unfortunately no match as I believe her mother's given name was Jannet.

Thanks again, your suggestion appreciated
Rena

Offline RIPLEYONTARIO

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 February 10 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rena;
I received copies of your chat line going back to Feb. 2009.  I am involved in the MacKenzie DNA project and I believe I received this from someone who knows Don from Niagara. 
As you are aware there were very few land-holders.  I am following up on Alexander MacKenzie.  From the microfilm it shows birth of Colin son to Roderick MacKenzie and Isabelle MacDonald born March 25, 1766.  It was witnessed by Donald MacKenzie of Shoemaker and Alexander MacKenzie Kirk Officer of Urray.
I have other records showing that he died somewhere in late 1767 or before August 7, 1768.  Son Roderick was born Posthumous.  It also shows that his wife to be a Catherine MacDonald.  In your correspondence you show Alexander MacKenzie had a list of tenants...I have ordered a copy of the Old Ross-shire and Scotland Tain and Balnagown documents.   I have several relatives born in Balloan in this time period.

I will keep in touch through this site.

Cheers,
Dave

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 March 10 02:03 GMT (UK) »
lol Dave I've been casting about and leaving requests for my Mackenzies earlier than 2009.

Thanks for leaving the message - I hope you find something to your advantage (and maybe mine) before too long.

You wrote:  <<It was witnessed by Donald MacKenzie of Shoemaker>>

Did you mean to type "a Shoemaker" ?

Coincidentally I was on an online book site today and came across a list which included this place.
<Donald Mackenzie teacher Shearobeg Badenoch>

Badenoch of Strathspey is easy to find but it looks like "Shearobeg" could be a typo.

If you want to check it out go to this website :
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

and in the search facility enter "Kenneth Mackenzie 1792 songbook" - then in the box alongside the search box scroll down until "Text" shows, then click on "go"

At the back of the book is a full list of A-Z subscribers and some have their occupations & places next to their names - the Mackenzie names are on Page Nos. 261 & 262

Cheers,
Rena

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 May 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
Just to tidy up this thread concerning John Mackenzie of Strathgarve, part owner of Clyde Iron Works, who died in 1788.

The Hamilton & Campsie Testament Dative & Inventory of 1790 only names his "younger children" and these were:-

"William; Janet; Catherine and Frances MacKenzie of the said deceased"