Author Topic: Blackpool -Rochdale - Gracie Fields - Haley´s Juveniles  (Read 14271 times)

Offline Dalmatian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blackpool -Rochdale - Gracie Fields - Haley´s Juveniles
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 10:36 BST (UK) »
Youré right Matt , they did  - mystery solved.
Wrights , Pickwells, Booths ,Lincolnshire
Mantles , Nottinghamshire
O'Reillys Ireland , Manchester , Skegness

Offline Dalmatian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 July 10 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Matt ,
I was thinking that now I have the names of both the Hayleys I would like to do a bit more research into the troupe as a whole rather than just my Grandma´s part in it.I wondered if you would mind letting me have any info that you have got on Herbert and Priscilla , dates and places of birth etc , so that I can have something to build on and I will keep you posted with the results.

Thanks

Sue

Offline sherba

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 July 11 12:55 BST (UK) »
My grandmother, Edna May Beckett was a member of Haley's Juveniles circa 1920's, possibly earlier. It was a dance troupe and she told me that she did acrobatic dancing, because she was small she ended up on the top of a human pyramid. Even into her 70's she was very supple and could touch her toes. Unfortunately, two photographs of her on the stage was lost or taken by an unscrupulous relative! I do remember her in a short black tunic with ribbons in her hair and also a picture of her dressed as a Dutch girl. She was highly chaperoned and no 'back stage johnies' allowed. Her mother was a theatrical landlady on Beverley Road in Hull and I am hoping to do a bit more research this summer. Was it Penelope,Patience, Prudence Haley? For a long time I believed the troupe was named after the comet!I believed Miss/Mrs?Haley died in the 50's -will look for further details sent to me. It was a surprise finding anything on the net as I have looked on and off for ages and I have even contacted various historical associations re: Music Hall and Variety. Haley's Juveniles performed at the Alahmbra in Bradford I believe?
She gave up her stage career later - probably when she met my grandfather as she was a cashier when she got married.

Offline Dalmatian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Sherba

Its great to hear from someone who has actually heard of Hayley´s Juveniles , the British Music Hall Society hadn´t ( although the Palladium archivist had ) My grandma was with them from around 1909 to 1913 although ahe didn´t leave the stage until 1916 .She may have overlapped with your grandma.I have done a bit of research on Priscilla Hayley but still have a lot more to do.I have my grandmas´s engagement book and have been trying to follow the troupe around the country and put their travels into narrative form.It isn´t finished yet but you are more than welcome to see what I have done so far along with photos and  newspaper reports.You can get in touch with me on  *  and I will send you what I have.My grandma also told me that the girls were very closely chaperoned although the account in Gracie Filelds autobiography of her time with H´s Js tells a different story .I would love to hear any stories that you have.
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline sellerphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 July 11 17:56 BST (UK) »
you might be interested in this item that is listed on Ebay, item number 250864515497, I have no link to the dance troupe it was just in with some other stuff I bought and while I was doing some research to list it I found this board
Phil

Offline sellerphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 July 11 14:43 BST (UK) »
The Forum would not let me reply to your message
The photo is up for auction.
You can open a temporary Ebay account to bid on something and do not have to have a Paypal account.
If you win it I will send you an invoice and you can pay by sterling cheque or Iban
Rgds Phil

Offline Levocalady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 December 11 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello, my grandmother was a member of Haley's Juveniles between the wars.  I think she was about 14 when she joined so that would be around 1923 for a few years until she suffered an injury which curtailed her career.  Her name was Mary Annie Cambridge from Dudley and I've heard she was on stage at the London Palladium.  I'd love to hear about anything any of you find out.

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 December 11 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello, my grandmother was a member of Haley's Juveniles between the wars.  I think she was about 14 when she joined so that would be around 1923 for a few years until she suffered an injury which curtailed her career.  Her name was Mary Annie Cambridge from Dudley and I've heard she was on stage at the London Palladium.  I'd love to hear about anything any of you find out.

Hi Levocalady

Try this site - Do a free search http://www.rootschat.com/links/0isb/

MancsMan
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline CLEOME

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 September 13 10:58 BST (UK) »
Matt - Lostincloud

My mother was also Priscilla Hardaker, named after her aunt who became Madam Haley.  Mother was born in 1899 and when very young toured with her aunt's troupe.

Great aunt Priscilla used to stay with us in the 1940's when we lived in Bradford, together with a daughter whose name I don't remember - I was very young at the time.

I don't have a copy, but do remember mother being proud of a 'photo of aunt Priscilla seated, with Gracie leaning over her shoulder, published alongside a feature in a local newspaper when Gracie visited her old mentor.

There is also a family link to Pontefract:  my grandfather was transferred there by the Pearl Insurance Company from (I think) Grimsby.

I will by happy to share family snippets/memories with you.

M.A.S.