Author Topic: Tarleton  (Read 10442 times)

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tarleton
« on: Thursday 14 January 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping to find the parents of George Matcham Tarleton, born 1795 Ireland ? Died 1880, Dawlish, Devon.

He married in London in 1819 ,and a son Weldon Charles Tarleton was born in 1821. That middle name was continued through Weldon Charles Ts family in India where he was with the Army. His 2nd son George Weldon , was my husbands Gt grandfather born 1859 in Poona, India. As the Weldon sounds like a surname of a 'wife' earlier on , I'm hoping to find the connection of the two names.

Any ideas would be gratefully received. Trying to find information from India and Burma is very sparse.

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tarleton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 10 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Millesanc,

And welcome to Rootschat!

I suppose you are aware of it anyway, but there are lots of Weldons and one page of Tarletons on the India BMD site:-
http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/about.aspx

Also, on the IGI Pedigree File, there is the birth of a Robert Weldon Tarleton in 1748 in Kings County, Ireland - so the link between the families goes back some way. The Pedigree File was added by a Canadian, so you've probably got relations over the pond...

Good luck.

Leofric

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 January 10 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the welcome .
I had visited that site before, but must have missed that page I needed ( was looking at other surnames too ) There are several on the page that ARE my husbands family, but I already had that information. All the marriage cert of George Matcham Tarleton Esq, said born Ireland ! no county  but now I'll look at IGI pedigree file and see what comes of that one. I would really like to make a connection.

Thanks for your help, it was greatly appreciated.

Lyn

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 January 10 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Lynn,

This doesn't answer your question, but may be of interest to you:-

No.331
WELDON JOHN TARLETON | died 2nd March 1993, aged 96 years | darling husband of LILY for 65
years | beloved father and grandfather | ELIZABETH (LILY) TARLETON | née MOORE | died 17th
December 1993, aged 93 years. | Dearly loved by all her | family and friends.

From a list of Headstones at St Patrick's church graveyard in Enniskerry, Co Wicklow.

A quick google using Tarleton+Weldon brought up quite a few things that will interest you, including a person with another username asking about Tarleton/Weldons on this site in 2005.

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 January 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Leofric,
It does look as though our Tarletons did originate in Killeigh or Fentor, Kings County. Got a probable line back to Gilbert Tarleton who died in 1656, haven't got as far as looking at IGI yet, been too busy with the links , but shall look there now. Is it any easier from the Irish side to look for BMDs or am I right in thinking  records weren't kept until the mid 1800s ? Only ask as I have a d-in-law from Dublin whose family still live there.

Lyn

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 January 10 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Another Tarleton arrives in India ... see "Troop 2" list; -

http://shadowsoftime.co.nz/dunira.html

Might not be related, but interesting if he is :)
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 January 10 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Deb,
That Tarleton  could well be related along the line somewhere, maybe one day I'll find out. I hadn't seen that site before so it was very interesting. Probably lots of cousins. Judging by dates etc, my one could have been the son of a John Tarleton and a Miss Scott ( got myself a bit confused with them all at the moment ) so am going over them all again. Shame I can't find more on IGI though.

Leofric, I haven't found the birth on IGI pedigree files for Robert Weldon Tarleton 1748, another one to recheck !

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 January 10 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Lynn,

"Leofric, I haven't found the birth on IGI pedigree files for Robert Weldon Tarleton 1748, another one to recheck ! "

Sorry - wrong year! should've been 1750. To find it, and many more submitted by a woman in British Columbia, click on Advanced search, Pedigree File, then just enter the surname Tarleton, and Ireland, but with no dates and you'll see them all.

There is also on the Ancestral File of IGI a George Matcham Tarleton by a submitter from Texas, but he has the birth in Kent, not Ireland.

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 January 10 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Lynn,

To answer a previous question of yours, Irish BMD registration began in 1864, although protestant marriages were recorded from 1845, Before these dates one is reliant on parish records, the coverage of which is rather hit and miss.

On the FamilySearch Pilot site,
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?

There are 15 pages of Tarleton BMD, including some with a middle name of Weldon.

Leofric