Author Topic: Tarleton  (Read 10492 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tarleton
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 January 10 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Presume you have looked here;
http://www.rootschat.com/links/07xd/

Moderator Comment: URL modified. See Topic: Shrinking Very Long Website Links / Topic: Post too W--I--D--E! www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,134417.15.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 January 10 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Well, no I hadn't , as all the Tarletons I have were either in India or Burma from 1845 upwards , apart from the ones recently found coming and going from Rangoon in the early 1900s, and as I'm not sure who our George M Tarleton was descended from yet, I haven't looked further this way in Ireland. Even GM, seems to have been in England from at least 1819 when he married, and ended his days in Devon in 1880. They're a fascinating family , that's for sure.
Thanks for the link, needs more looking at but I did spot a WELDON on there, so related somewhere along the line.

Lyn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 January 10 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Well the 1901 Census will be coming on line shortly so you might get further clues then...

Don't forget a line has 2 ends to work from  8) ;D, collect enough slices and you'll end up with a cake!

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 January 10 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I'd rather have cake than an Indian takeaway  :) my hubby can have that. Parts of both sides of his family prove very difficult, after 6years I've never found where his maternal Grandmother was from, even though she's buried 10 minutes away from us. Can't find her ANYWHERE, even with help,  perhaps she may show up on the 1901 Ireland Census ?? that would be a turn up for the books, I'll look forward to that one now.

;)  Lyn

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 March 10 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to say a BIG thankyou to all who helped me on my search for the Tarleton Family. I am now in contact with the Grandson of my husbands Gt Uncle, and he has given me ALL the tree back to Gilbert c 1580. Also the Will of George Matcham T, and a very interesting letter between Gt Uncle and Gt Grandfather written in 1905. It gives much more insight into the family and how their lives panned out. I'm still reeling from everything I discovered in The Times about so many of them, without all your help I'd still be at a brickwall.   ;D

Lyn

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 March 10 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations Lyn  :) :) :) My brick wall remains bombproof  ;D
The Mulhearns never made the Times  :)
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 March 10 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Oh well , I could go on about the OTHER one, this is hubby's Maternal Grandmother, and even with help from loads of others including Family Tree Magazine, no one has ever been able to 'FIND' her or her family. I think there must have been a few tall stories when she married his Grandfather in 1912, even her 2nd marriage in 1919 ( after being widowed in 1917 ) didn't give any clues. We even know where she's buried but not were she was born or who her parents were, none of the names match to anybody ??? so she was either from another planet OR not telling the truth . ??? died too early (1953) for birthplace to be on death cert sadly. Nor any sign in 1911 Census, >:( So I shall just be quite happy with MY side and the Tarletons  ;D

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 04 March 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Out comes the cake..... ;D

Well done!

Offline markspark53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 05 March 11 14:29 GMT (UK) »
There are a few sources of information which you should check out. Gladys Tarleton of Maymyo was a 7th Day Adventist, and you will find plenty of information on her by checking out the Adventist Archives at http://www.adventistarchives.org/DocArchives.asp - mostly in the Eastern Tidings. She was the wife of William Henry Tarleton. She figures prominently in the book "Advent Angels over Burma. Her sisters Mrs Smith and Mrs MAhoney are mentioned. She served WWI as a nurse in Mesopotamia and ran a guest house in Rangoon with another sister Alice. Also look at http://www.angloburmeselibrary.com, especially the lists of evacuees and internees, where I think you will find your husbands grandparents. Information is not as sparse as it used to be.