Author Topic: Tarleton  (Read 10490 times)

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tarleton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 January 10 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Oh my,
I am on that site now, but I've got 225 pages of Tarletons, so shall be busy for days I'd think ?
The IGI Ancestral file does have George Ms marriage to Louisa Best in 1819, which gives me her parents names and birthplace as Chilson Park, Kent, but I have the actual image from Ancestry, which shows born Ireland . Also ( maybe an error ?) the header for George shows christening and is his marriage ? But it has given me a little bit more info.
They had 5 children from what I can make out , our Weldon C, being eldest, Thomas and George born abt 1826 , Dora abt  1831 and Barbara 1833. I have found them in 1841 , 51 and 71, but as George M was an Army Captain they did move about all over the place. No sign of where the twins were born , Dora born France, Barbara born Bangor, Wales. Louisa died 41-51 not known where . Thomas and George are missing apart from the 41.
P erhaps I might find more on the next 220 pages I have to go through  :) It will keep me out of mischief for a bit. I did guess it would be Parish records for the period I'm after.

Many thanks again,
Lyn

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 January 10 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lyn,

It seems to me that you may have the entire world-wide file of Tarletons to flog through! But if you whittle it down by selecting only the Irish BMD records 1845-1958, and entering Ireland in the place box in order to capture records outside Kings County too, then you'll only have 15 pages to trawl through.

I mentioned earlier doing a Google search using Tarleton+Weldon and yeterday tried Tarleton+Killeigh - and came up with this

http://www.bomford.net/IrishBomfords/Chapters/Chapter12/Chapter12.htm#12.1.3 _The_Tarleton_Family_

which I think you'll find interesting, as it explains where the Weldon name came from.

Leofric

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 January 10 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leofric,
Many thanks once again, that was an interesting piece about where the Weldon name came from, and the other suggestion to whittle down the name is very welcome, phew it would have taken ages ! I know the George M that I'm looking for , must have come from a 'good' family or his wife wouldn't have been allowed to marry him. Her father was from an illustrious family, and was an MP, Deputy Lieutenant of Kent also  a JP . This was from 1790 onwards, his family Seat has taken me back to 1598, and the house is now a hotel, and looks wonderful, we can visit as it isn't far from where we live. Now I shall go back to my original search and concentrate on the Tarleton family.
I wouldn't have believed it if I'd been told, but seeing it onscreen is great. We're delighted.

Lyn  ;D

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 January 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
These one's attended Trinity College, Dublin in these years;

TARLETON Edward Weldon 1845 age 16.  King's Co.
TARLETON Digby 1696 age 15, King's Co.
TARLETON Edward 1683. age 17. Liverpool
TARLETON Edward 1823, age 15  Dublin
TARLETON Frederick Falkiner 1845, age 17. Co. Tyrone
TARLETON Robert 1818 age 24.  King's Co.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 January 10 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for that info, it would be interesting to see if Robert ( the last on the list ) may be our George Ms brother ? if only I could find the parents. I read the other day that ALL the Tarleton  family in Killeigh are descended from a Digby Tarleton, so I think I'm on the right track.

I shall keep this for future reference.

Lyn

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 January 10 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Lyn
I want YOUR ancestors  :) Hope you manage to join Lancs library ok because I have just been glued to The Times section - be sure to look there!
eg. 1 Sept 1835 Mr Weldon Tarleton, High Constable of Queens County, Ireland,  wounded but managed to escape.
London Gazette 25 Sept 1855 Casualties from Sebastapol W Weldon and George Weldon
News from Egypt 16 July 1807 - Captain Tarleton killed in Egypt
Just to mention a smattering from hundreds.  Lucky you to have all this available.
Happy hunting - get in plenty of ready meals  :)
Eileen
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 January 10 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen ,
Yes I have joined and was given a number to search until the pin comes through but it didn't accept it this evening. I just HAVE to now after you giving me those snippets, I can't wait to see things . The Weldon name is too frequent  NOT to be connected to my husbands family. I'll stock the freezer and be ready for the next exciting bits.

I will be a happy hunter !!

Lyn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 January 10 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Lyn
Happy hunting - get in plenty of ready meals  :)
Eileen

Well with Indian connections there will probably be a Take Away or two on order!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline millesanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 January 10 09:27 GMT (UK) »
You are NOT kidding  ;D

Haven't been able to get onto the site for the newspapers yet, so will have to be patient until the card and pin come now. I did have a look at what The Kings Police Medal was given for, as another brother of gt  grandfather George Weldon T,was in England to receive it in Nov 1911 , I'm really close to some things it's very tantalising, I don't have FindMyPast to find outgoing passenger lists only incoming on Ancestry, but they seem to flit across from Rangoon quite often ?
The mother of George Ws wife had the lovely name of Mah Nim Yah, so she was obviously Burmese I'd think, such a lot I can't find sadly, but the Tarletons are fascinating ! And the birth places of my hubby's Uncles ! you would have to have a couple of bottles of wine to pronounce some of them , wonderful.

Lyn