Author Topic: SHINGLESTONS OF MARGATE  (Read 6220 times)

Offline WHITSTABLE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SHINGLESTONS OF MARGATE
« on: Thursday 14 January 10 18:32 GMT (UK) »
hello, iam trying to trace my shingleston family,  i only seem to be able to find them in whitstable going back to my great great grandfather, alfred shingleston born 1874ish but i have been told the family comes from margate but not sure where to start as there looks like there alot of them just like to know where thay lived and occupation  any info woued be helpfull :) liz
reserching ,surnames shingleston, hawkins, jordan, hudson ,pout, blackman wetherly, epps, baker, port, porter, rowden.goodwin, whitehead colley church.dorgan, in kent

cave, hansford in cornwall,lee  in shropshire

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: SHINGLESTONS OF MARGATE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 10 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,

Firstly you need to get your 2 x gt grandfathers birth certificate, see who his parents are and work back from there on the census's.

There is an Alfred George Shinglestone born March quarter 1878 Blean 2a - 777 do you think this is him  ???

1881 Census RG11/964/45/19

Living Waterloo Place, Whistable.

James W. Shinglestone h.m. 30 Dredger born Whistable
Sarah wife 30
James W son 10
Charles son 7
Amelia H dau 5
Alfred G son 3
Hurbert son 6 months...... all born Whistable

Agnes Rigden niece 14 Nurse maid b Whitstable

There are other Shinglestone and Shingleton families around in 1881 but none in Margate, perhaps the family information may be incorrect or maybe they moved there later  :-\

this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Foad Family Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Shingleston  James  41 Head Mariner Margate, Kent  Outer Wall, Seasalter, Kent   
Shingleston  Sarah  44 Wife  Whitstable, Kent  Outer Wall, Seasalter, Kent     
Shingleston  Ann Maria  17 Daur Knitter Whitstable, Kent  Outer Wall, Seasalter, Kent  
Shingleston  Emily  15 Daur House Servant Whitstable, Kent  Outer Wall, Seasalter, Kent         
Shingleston  Caroline  13 Daur General Servant Whitstable, Kent  Outer Wall, Seasalter, Kent     
Shingleston  James U  11 Son Scholar Seasalter, Kent  Outer Wall, Seasalter, Kent         
Shingleston  Frederick  10 Son Scholar Seasalter, Kent  Outer Wall, Seasalter, Kent   
Shingleston  George  6 Son Scholar Seasalter, Kent  Outer Wall, Seasalter, Kent       
Shingleston  Sarah Ann  3 Daur  Seasalter, Kent  Outer Wall, Seasalter, Kent

James was baptised at St Johns Margate

Name James Shingleston
Father's Name William Shingleston
Mother's Name Hannah Shingleston
Profession Mariner 
Date of Baptism 21 May 1820 
Parent's Occupation Mariner
Abode Margate
Parish Church Margate St John 
Ceremony Performed By Francis Barrow Curate

FOAD, All
PETTMAN - All
CONACHY, All
BUNNY - All
BRIDGLAND, CHAPMAN, Hawkshurst, Goudhurst & Cranbrook)
MORLEY, GIBBS, Sussex, Clapham, Wandsworth, Streatham
KNIGHT, KEMP, ROYLE, RIDGWAY, Salford, Leeds
MORFEY, FIELD - Rye and Ramsgate
PHILPOTT, GOODWIN, Herne, Whitstable & Blean
Interested in ALL Margate & Whitstable, Kent surnames.

Offline Molie2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 December 10 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I can also add to this that William Shingleston's parents were William Shingleston (born 1777) and Sarah Ann Bundock (born 1780). They married in Margate. William's (the elder, b. 1777) father was Thomas Shinglestone (note the difference in spelling as the dates go back) and he died in Margate in 1787. He was married to Mary Grant. Thomas Shinglestone and one of his sons (not sure which) drowned at sea when a boat they were using to transport cargo to Margate sank due to being overladen with goods.
The Shingleston's were mariners/oyster dredgers for many generations and worked around the coast of Kent. I hope this helps your research.
I have been researching this surname as my Grandmother was a Shingleston; her father was Alfred George Shingleston, born 1878.
Sarah
Shingleston, Hughes, Beldon/Beldom, Brooks, Kempster, Ladds

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 December 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Liz what exactly do you know about Alfred? this wil help us to trace him back
do you have his birth cert or his marriage cert or even his death cert ? do you have him on any census ?
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Foad Family Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 December 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
How fab, looks like Liz and Sarah share the same Alfred!
Merry Christmas
FOAD, All
PETTMAN - All
CONACHY, All
BUNNY - All
BRIDGLAND, CHAPMAN, Hawkshurst, Goudhurst & Cranbrook)
MORLEY, GIBBS, Sussex, Clapham, Wandsworth, Streatham
KNIGHT, KEMP, ROYLE, RIDGWAY, Salford, Leeds
MORFEY, FIELD - Rye and Ramsgate
PHILPOTT, GOODWIN, Herne, Whitstable & Blean
Interested in ALL Margate & Whitstable, Kent surnames.

Offline WHITSTABLE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 18:34 GMT (UK) »
hi thank you for all the replys ,  thanks molly, i did wonder about that story of the drowning i read it somewhere, , i have a marriedge cert of my grt grandad john charles shingleston his parents are on it alfred george and my grt grandmother who was florence shingleston nee hudson, alfred was a builder and had a shop in harbour street whitstable i have one photo of him when he was old   alfred was born 1878 and died july 1948 thay had 3 children , :)
reserching ,surnames shingleston, hawkins, jordan, hudson ,pout, blackman wetherly, epps, baker, port, porter, rowden.goodwin, whitehead colley church.dorgan, in kent

Offline Molie2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz
My grandmother Marjorie was John Charles Shingleston's sister.
It's nice to finally make contact with someone who has the same family tree!
I've got a photo in my family album of a man in overalls standing at the back of the shop and I've always wondered if it's John Charles, or his brother Alfred James
I'll scan it in at the weekend and post it on here, maybe you can identify him for me?
Good luck with all your research
Sarah
Shingleston, Hughes, Beldon/Beldom, Brooks, Kempster, Ladds

Offline WHITSTABLE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 19:21 GMT (UK) »
hi, thats aunt marjorie , my mums great aunt ,  my goodness we are related ,  my mum is sylvia my nan was doreen shingleston and her dad was  john charles ,  i will try and tell you who the person in the photo is but my mum will probably know , :)lizzie . please write back ..