Author Topic: DATE PHOTOGRAPHS BY FASHION  (Read 8255 times)

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
DATE PHOTOGRAPHS BY FASHION
« on: Friday 15 January 10 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Toni Booth, Collections Manager at the
National Media Museum
Pictureville
Bradford
BD1 1NQ
UK
Tel +44 (0) 1274 203369
Fax +44 (0) 1274 772325
E-mail: toni.booth@nationalmediamuseum.org.uk
Web: www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk

was kind enough to send me this:-
------------------------------------------------------
HOW TO DATE PHOTOGRAPHS BY FASHION

BIBLIOGRAPHY
BUCK, Anne, Victorian Costume (Ruth Bean Pubs., Bedford, 1984)
GINSBURG, Madeleine, Victorian Dress in Photographs (Batsford, 1982)
LAMBERT, Miles, Fashion in Photographs 1860-1880 (Batsford, 1991)
LEVITT, Sarah, Fashion in Photographs 1880-1900 (Batsford, 1991)
ROLLEY, Katrina, Fashion in Photographs 1900-1920 (Batsford, 1992)
OWEN, Elizabeth, Fashion in Photographs 1920-2940 (Batsford, 1993)
Dating Old Photographs, by Local Heritage Books, Newbury, Berks.

See also the periodical published by the Costume Society which occasionally has useful articles on the history of fashion. 
For details contact Anne Brogden, 63 Salisbury Rd, Garston, LIVERPOOL, L19 0PH

USEFUL CONTACTS
If you contact any of the people listed below, they will need a copy of the front and back of the photograph to be dated.  If it has been enlarged please let them know the size of the original: a stamped, self-addressed envelope will ensure a more prompt reply.

Please do not send the original.

The Fashion Research Centre
4 Circus, BATH, BA1 2EW
Tel: 01225 477752 & 01225 477754 / fax: 01225 444793
Web site: www.museumofcostume.co.uk 
Able to help date photographs by mail - but enquirers should provide a stamped, self-addressed envelope to ensure a reply.

Jean Debney
8 Huckleberry Close, Purley-on-Thames, READING, RG8 8EH
An independent freelance genealogist who provides a photograph-dating service, using fashion as the key, for a reasonable fee but only by post.

Museum of Costume & Textiles
51 Castle Gate, NOTTINGHAM, NG1 6AF
Tel: 0115 948 3504 / Fax: 0115 950 7182

Shambellie House Museum of Costume
New Abbey, DUMFRIES, DG2 8HQ
Tel: 01387 850 375

Gallery of English Costume
Platt Hall, Rusholm, MANCHESTER, M14 5LL
Tel: 0161 224 5217 / Fax: 0161 256 3278
Does not offer a formal photograph-dating service, but may be able to offer some advice.

PLEASE NOTE: We do not advise the original photograph be photocopied directly.  We would recommend that photocopies be made from a copy photograph of the original to send those people you wish to contact for an opinion.

National Media Museum
Bradford BD1 1NQ
Tel: +44(0)1274 202030
Fax: +44(0)1274 723155
www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk
Researching:-   CLAY       THORNEWILL         POWELL         SOAMES

Offline aliceskinner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DATE PHOTOGRAPHS BY FASHION
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 16 15:22 BST (UK) »
Helpful info

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 April 16 15:49 BST (UK) »
Or you could just post the photo (front and back including edges)here on rootschat and one of our experts will give you a date estimate usually within a few hours.  :)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 May 16 04:51 BST (UK) »
Really useful references thanks .I have two dolls that are dressed as  about 100 years ago and want to know how  authentic they are (I.m guessing the short and long  bloomers place one in Victorian one Edwardian but maybe 1 has ladies clothes another child's clothes)

.I want to use them in a video clip telling the story of my g aunts B 1880-1890
Who went to USA and worked as dressmakers or in clothes shop and. g gmother a drapers assistant in Cheshire in 1899+ maybe a costumier in 1911

I have taken a photo on my new tablet but not yet learnt how to download photos onto any site. 
Start topics on here when I gain the technolog I.think the photo enhancing is

Would this be the correct forum for that look up ??
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 May 16 05:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, this is the correct board for dating.

I am not sure how accurate it would be to date a doll by it's clothes alone. Clothes are often not original to the doll, in fact in the past dolls would have been repaired, so you may get frankestien dolls with parts from various eras.

It could also be that more modern dolls were dressed in old fashioned 'fancy' clothes.

I would suggest you look to see if there are any markings on the dolls themselves - some research into the makers might give you a more accurate estimate. I believe the back of the head under the hair or the neck might be the first port of call.

But definitely post your pictures here - there is sure to be a doll expert in our midst.  :)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 May 16 06:54 BST (UK) »
I dont think they are antique dolls .I got them for less than fiver in charity shop because the manager has a doll phobia + wanted them sold quickly .The 1 I gave away had a label that someone said was well known but i dont recall
.just display dolls back of head of blond says Alberon its printed +her dress is fastened with velcro
its tarten which quenn vic made popular ..i'm sure ive seen an pic of queen vic sitting as elderly lady in a tarten adult version of this dress ..or maybe it was in the film about her  "MrsBrown "

her shoes are also a bit plastic y

the other has no visible stamp  a handbag/purse and long bloomers

one set of shoes loks more like leather but i dont think they are ..as a child has been playing with the shoes on + off i cant remember which went with which doll

I have a friend who worked in fashion+ dresmaking  in the 50's she was with me when I bought them + says they look the years I thought ..I also got various people to guess what ages the dolls seemed to be supposed to be over 6 and unde 20 was the range but we setlled on average age 10 for tartan  short bloomered girl and age 15 for sophisticated curls bag

I appreciate any opinions from those in the know as I get eye strain so can't read too much for too long  + am doing so many different projects that I don't know what to do first
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 May 16 13:20 BST (UK) »
I misunderstood - I thought the dolls were antiques which once belonged to the relatives you mentioned.

I think the best thing is to have a try at posting a picture of them. From your description they don't sound as though they are very old. Googling "alberon" there are a lot of results though from a very quick look I can't see anything about their manufacture, age etc.

Offline edmarco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Photo Restorer at DamagedPhotoRestoration.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 March 19 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Nice to notice such information. You’ve posted some interesting books in “bibliography”, I’ll try to get one of them in Amazon shop. Thank you, it’s useful.