Author Topic: Cameron's of Chirnside, Berwickshire, Scotland  (Read 9268 times)

Offline GeorginaGenealogy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cameron's of Chirnside, Berwickshire, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 February 15 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Henry Augustus Cunningham Pilkington. I find him in Canada 1820s/30s (Ontario). His wife (the 2 or 3 times she is mentioned) is JANE. I'll have to double check my records when I get a chance, but there may be mention of a child in Ontario as well. I would like very much to find out when/where he died, and who his parents were. I have no information on his whereabouts after 1830s Ontario. His petitions to government in the Province mention military service in some detail as well as financial problems.
Any help is appreciated.

Offline Angela Burns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
This is interesting...Do you know what his birthdate was?  I wonder if it was the same Henry Pilkington that cam from Scotland.  If so, I wonder why he came to Canada???

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 April 15 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The railway accident referred to on the MI occurred 24 Dec 1874 and claimed 30 lives with a further 70 injured.  It was extensively covered by British newspapers. I've saved 3 articles from the Times available online via the Gale News Vault but all too large to attach here.  If you can't access them directly and would like them, send me your email in a PM

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 April 15 12:15 BST (UK) »
Just to add.......

John Trotter Pilkington CE, identified in the newspapers as John Thomas T Pilkington, was a civil engineer from Wrexham, North Wales