Author Topic: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech  (Read 21715 times)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am looking for advice and guidance please as I don't know the Wisbech area at all.  Unfortunately I am unable to visit to look out local records as I live in Malta.

Family sources have told me that the Culy line I am researching came from France originally, possibly Methodist missionaries and the name could have been spelt with a "K".

I have traced back, so far ,to David Culy who was born ca1828 in Wisbech and who married Martilmas (various spellings) Driver also born ca1828 in Wisbech.  The marriage was registered 3rd qtr 1849 North Witchford 14 175.  David Culy's parents, taken from the 1841 census, were Joseph Culy born abt1801 (possibly 1799) in Wisbech and Mary also born abt 1801 (out of county)

Re the French connection, I have found reference to a David Culy of Guyhirn (who was the son of a French Protestant refugee) who in 1695, founded a sect (The Culimites, I think) who had extreme Anabaptist beliefs.  David Culy died in 1725.  I think there were also Baptist and Methodist Chapels in Wisbech so it seems that non-conformity was popular in the area.

So I have to go back a little bit further to prove a link but I've got stuck and am not sure what to do next.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 10 15:36 GMT (UK) »
The Cambs FHS website at http://www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html is a good place to start

There's a baptism index 1801-37 which has plenty of Culys. but none around 1801 so it may well be that Joseph was born before 1801 (in 1861 he was 62 born Wisbech). Martinmas Driver is shown as being baptised in March.

The same website shows that transcripts of the two Wisbech parishes are also available. But I would also check the IGI at www.familysearch.org where there are 247 Culy entries in Cambs, mainly in Wisbech - but I can't see a Joseph baptised c1799.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 10 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bedfordshire Boy,

Thanks for your reply.

The Cambs FHS website is really good and I can see reference both David Culy b1828 and his wife Martilmas Driver.  The site confirms David's parents as Joseph Culy and Mary and it does look to me like Joseph was born in 1799.

I have also found some really useful stuff on there to help me with other parts of my research, so thanks.

Unfortunately I am really stuck on information about Joseph.

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 10 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Not sure that you have full details of Joseph and Mary's marriage.
It was on 18 August 1818
They were both otp
bac and sp
Mary GUY
Witnesses David Culy and Thomas Guy

Rather strangely Joseph and Mary baptised two sons close togther in 1828
Joseph on 19 February when their abode was South Brink
David on 29 February again of South Brink

The marriage of David and Martilmas appears to have taken place at March.

Selina

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 10 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Selina,

:)

Thanks for posting the marriage details.  Since I made the original post I haven't had much time so I hadn't got as far as finding the marriage.

Thanks for your help.

Luzzu

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 10 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Selina,

Could I ask if you are able tohelp in sorting out the other children of Joseph Culy and Mary Guy.

This is what I have:-

John bap1819
Mary A bap 1821
Joseph bap 19 Feb 1828
David bap 29 Feb 1828
Jacob bap 1835

All baptisms at Wisbech St Peter.

I have in my notes that they also had a son called Isaac born ca 1827 but my notes have got a bit mixed up so I don't know where I got him from  ::).

Do you think Joseph and David could be twins? and maybe they were baptised the same day and the date might have been mistranscribed - 19/29.  Just realised if it was the 29th it must have been a leap year.  I will put a post on the Common Room thread and try and find out.  Someone on RC will know  :).

Thank you.

Luzzu

PS  1828 was a Leap Year.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 10 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luzzu

I will reply in two parts - one now and prob pm you later, in order to try and keep out of a muddle so will deal with odds and ends!

I think you got Isaac from the 1841 census as he is with Joseph and Mary aged 14 not born in county.

On that census it looks more like South Bank than South Brink to me but needs another pair of eyes to say what they think.

There is another Culy couple baptising children around the same time Jacob and Susan (Susannah) also given as South Brink.

I couldn't see the Jacob baptised in 1835 but see that one was baptised that year at Wisbech Ship Lane Baptists, I can't help further with that. 

Can't tell about Joseph and David being twins, twins would often be noted in the parish register and they are not mentioned as being so.  It could be a mistranscription of the date, actually Joseph's 19th Feb is entered between two 18ths which is also a bit odd.  The original register would help not doubt.  However in the 1851 their ages are not identical but then that could well happen, perhaps if you trace them through the various census returns you will clarify the matter or find burials which might give ages.

Selina

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 10 16:46 GMT (UK) »
There is definitely a South Brink in Wisbech - there is a North Brink as well!

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Its good to know that Sue, thanks for clearing that point up.

Selina