Author Topic: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech  (Read 21750 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
Re: GENERAL CEMETERY, WISBECH, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luzza and Selina,

I went to look at the cemetery today - as you can imagine, at this time of the year, apart from the path down the middle, it is wet, dark (overhanging trees) and VERY muddy - it was also cold!   It was called the General Cemetery and opened in 1836 (this means there will be no one buried there who was born before about 1745 (they would have been 90 in 1835).     Burials took place there (not all apparently have headstones) until the late 60's - 1969.   The cemetery was closed in 1972.

It is now known as Leverington Road Cemetery - it is a Pocket Cemetery which I think means it has been allowed to grow wild (not sure about this but it is wild).

I would be very happy to have a good look at the readable gravestones in the Spring when they will be getatable (they are not at the moment) and take photos if I find Culys.

However, the notice I thought I had previously seen says that if you are researching family history you should contact the Wisbech and Fenland Museum on 01945 583817.   The Curator is David Wright and the E-address is info@wisbechmuseum.org.uk    I would be very happy to approach the museum but would need to know exactly what I am asking for!   I am, however, going away for two months to India next week.   Happy to make a visit between then and now but need details.   No idea about charges - perhaps only for printing (perhaps I can just take notes).

I notice also that possibly one Culy was in Wisbech St. Mary.   I know there is an old church there (called the Chapel of Ease) which has a very well maintained graveyard but I am pretty sure this was C of E - the church is in disrepair and not used.    Guyhirn is also close to me - I understand there is a possibility of burials there.

Looking at IGI I note there are a large amount of Culy's in Lincolnshire -  this is just around the corner from here (threecounties meet at the end of my road virtually - Cambs, Lincolnshire andNorfolk. However, I am slightly suspicious they are not the same family, largely due to first names.   The area where they were particularly prevalent was Holbeach and Spalding.

Kings Lynn in Norfolk (not far from Wisbech (about 6 miles I think) is also an area for Culys.

Do let me know what you think and if you want me to pay a visit to the museum do give me the info to arm myself with.   (Luzzo - I know it will be particularly difficult to research from Malta).

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for going to have a look at the cemetery.  It sounds enchanting but probably you did not think so on a freezing cold January day.

I would love to take you up on the offer a visit to the museum but only if you promise you have the time as I sure you will be very busy with such a big trip coming up.  Otherwise I will be happy to email the curator.

Keeping things very simple, I am trying to prove (or otherwise) a family story that our Culy line is linked to France via missionaries possibly Methodist.

So far I have found reference a David Culy of Guyhirn (who was the son of a French Protestant refugee) who in 1695, founded a sect (The Culimites, I think) who had extreme Anabaptist beliefs.  David Culy died in 1725.

So I think this must be who the family story relates to.

I have traced back as far as David Culy who was baptised at Wisbech St Peter on the 29 Feb 1828.  His wife was Martilmas Driver and they married in 1849.

David was the son of Joseph Culy and Mary Guy who married at Wisbech St Peter on 18 Aug 1818.  Joseph Culy was born ca1799 but I haven't found his baptism or parents.

So I have a gap of 2 or 3 generations before I can link them together.

Maybe if you were able to make an initial visit to see what the possibilities are and then I could email direct as if there are any charges involved it would be better if I was in direct contact.

Thank you so much for your help.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luzzo,

In 1751 an Isaac Culy was granted a licence for an Independent Meeting House in Wisbech.

I found this by googling "Wisbech - Protestant non-conformity".   I expect you have seen it but ....................just in case!

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks.  I probably have somewhere as I've got loads of bits and pieces I have googled which I still need to get into some kind of order.

According to the 1841 Census Joseph and Mary Culy had a son called Isaac who was born ca 1827.  So the Isaac who was granted a licence could have been Joseph's grandfather or uncle.

Probably every Culy in Wisbech is descended from the original French protestant refugee ....

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 21 January 10 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luzzu,

I visited the Wisbech and Fenland Museum this am - stupid as I am, I forgot to take a copy of the details you had sent me BUT I did remember some of it.

The Curator of the museum, who was extremely pleasant and knowledgeable, spoke to me.   He knew about the Culy's but emphasised that I/you needed to know which branch of the family we were researching.   I think Nick mentioned this to you.

He said that they were not Hughgenots (sorry about spelling) but knew the story that they were anabaptists without me saying so and he said that they were really based in Guyhirn.   This does seem to be the place and I am only about 5 or six miles from there - happy to "do" the graveyard.   He also told me that there is a great deal on the Culy's, who may NOT be your line in Thorney museum.

I have to book "time" on their machine - it sounds as though they only have one  (I explained I was not a researcher as such) and he said "don't worry we will help you as long as you tell us what you are looking for".

He knew the Culy/s were anabaptist and very strict (something seems to have gone wrong with my computer at this point so please excuse any typos) AND that there were swtill Culy's living here.   There are four Culy's is Wisbech, two of whom live in the village of Elm (which is where I live) - do you want me to approach them?   I haven't lived here all that long and, therefore, I really don't know anyone here.   I am happy to give it a go if you want me to!!!!!

Will stop now, Sue

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 January 10 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I do appreciate your time and effort on my behalf.  It does sound like the Curator was very nice and helpful and what he said does sound promising.

I think I need to send him an email directly and see how I get on and then depending on what I have after that, may be an approach to the Culys in Wisbech might be a good idea.

I know you have your India trip very soon so I really must let you get on with that.  I will do updates on here and if you are anything like me you probably check in with Rootschat regularly.

Thank you so much.  I feel really confident tonight that I will get there in the end.

Luzzu

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 January 10 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Good Luck with your researches Luzzu.

Look forward to your updates.

Sue

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 January 10 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again and have a great trip to India.

:D

Luzzu

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 February 10 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Sadly my emails to the Wisbech Museum have so far gone unanswered.

:(

Luzzu