Author Topic: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech  (Read 21724 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
Re: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 April 10 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Luzza, Sorry to hear you have had no luck with Wisbech Museum.

Would it be a good idea to send me a copy of what you sent them and will visit them again and wave E-mail under their nose.

Will send E-address by pm.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 April 10 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi again Luzza,

I think the Wisbech Museum's lack of response may be my fault!!!

I have just found another website - Local Ancestors - Wisbech Museum, with a different E-address - this time it is wisbechmuseum@beeb.net.

I'm sorry.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 April 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi.  You're back  :D.  Hope you had a really good trip.  I will PM you.  Luzzu.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 26 April 10 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Luzza,

Good news - have acquired from the Wisbech library (with help from the librarian) the book written by a local historian, Trevor Bevis, called "David Culy and the Culimites".     He appears to find that David Culy's parents, John Culy and (would you believe I can't at the mo remember his mother's name) possibly came over with the Hughgonots - I imagine with the first wave of them.   It would appear they started off in Blayhill in Lincolnshire and worked on clearing the dykes and draining the land.   Their houses were burned down and various other things happened to them because the locals who were into wildfowling as a living really did not want the birds habitat altered.   They fled the area and David Culy's parents went to Guyhirn.   David Culy's wife was Ann Delahoy (Delahoi).   They seem to have had three children (I didn't get the above and this from the book)

Boanerges Culy (male)  - c1714
Ammi Culy (female)       -  c1714
Abraham Culy               -  c 1720

I don't have a dob for Boanerges BUT the name means either "twin or thunder" so I suspect they may have been twins (or perhaps very bad tempered!)

Ammi Culy married Catherine Stubbs in 1827 at Guyhirn.

A couple of days ago my husband and I visited Wisbech St. Peter Cemetery - I was sadly unable to read any gravestones and not even guess at the very old ones (which these would be).    I will still visit Guyhirn.

Will pm you with more info but wanted to put this on here to keep the thread active so that if anyone else has info they can add to it.

Sue

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 26 April 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue,

That is excellent news and thank you so much for all the new information.  I really appreciate your help and will look out for your PM.

:D

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline megem

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luzzo
My mother is a Culy and I have recently started a family tree. From what I have found so far has taken me to Wisbech...... It seems there were a lot of Culys there :)
My Great Granddad Frank Ernest Culy emmigrated to New Zealand which is where I live and I believe his parents were Ammi Culy and Francis Goose. Ammi's father was Issac Culy and then it seems Issac was also his fathers name then back to another Ammi again. Does this ring any bells with you in the research you have ?  If so i would love to know anything relevent but if I'm barking up the wrong "family Tree" I'm sorry and please disregard this. Thanks a lot  :)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 November 11 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meghem.  Thanks for posting.  I can't immediately see a connection to the line I have been looking at although there probably is one.  The Culys in Wisbech all seem to be connected as I think they married their cousins.

I am back to Joseph Culy and Mary Guy who married in 1818.  I was hoping to prove a link back to David Culy, the son of the French Protestant refugee.  However, I still have a gap of around 100 years.  Unfortunately I haven't had time to do much work on it lately so haven't made much progress.

Luzzu  :)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 03 November 11 16:21 GMT (UK) »
hi all
haven,t seen this post before today and i,ve found some culy,s in the non conformist records for wisbech now some you may already have but i,ll post them as i found them , only this post is nearly as long as war and peace  ;D.

baptist chapel ,  upper hill street [ formerly ship lane  ] in the parish of st peter wisbech.
david culy born 14 april 1825   father ephram   mother  elizabeth  parish of abode south brink 
juliana  culy  born 22 sep 1825   father   david  mother  hannah 

castle  square   independant  chapel 
edmund  tobutt  culy  born 22 jan 1826  bpt 23 july  1826  father  john  mother  ann  [johns occ timber merchant ]

baptist chapel  upper hill street
hannah  culy  buried  3 june 1827 [ no age given ]  father  david  mother ? [ non given]

castle  sq ind chapel
caroline  ibberson  culy  born 30 nov 1824  bpt  9 mar 1828   father john   mother ann

baptist chapel   upper hill street
david  culy  born 26 may 1829   father  david  mother  hannah
epraim  culy  born 1 dec 1832  registration date  3 jan 1833  father joseph  mother mary
elizabeth  culy  died june 1833  [ no age given ] father  ephraim  mother elizabeth
matilda  culy  died  16 june 1833  [ no age given ]  father david   mother  hannah
william  culy  born 24 dec  1833  father  david   mother hannah
ephram  culy born 5 oct 1834   registration date  9 march 1835   father  ephram  mother  elizabeth

castle sq ind chapel 
carrina   culy  born 31 oct 1808  bpt  2 jan 1835   father  moses  mother  carrina [ moses occ farmer ] parish of abode tyd st giles

baptist chapel  upper hill street
jacob  culy  born 31 oct 1835  father  joseph   mother mary 
matilda  culy  born 14 aug  1836   father  david    mother  hannah
david  culy  died  4 dec  1836   parish of abode  market place  wisbech st peters  [ occ butcher ]

hope some of this may help
best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 03 November 11 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Appreciate your time Trevor.  Thanks  :D.