Author Topic: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech  (Read 21714 times)

Offline LesleyCaf

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech
« Reply #36 on: Monday 20 July 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, everyone. I just came across this old thread and thought I'd post this message in the hope that someone knowledgeable might see it.

My husband's 2nd ggrandfather was David Culy, son of Ephraim Culy and Elizabeth Copeland, born in Wisbech St. Peter in 1825. Ephraim and Elizabeth were married in Wisbech St. Peter on 20 November 1821. I have done quite a bit of research on the family and found some relevant Cambridgeshire records for this family group and many U.S. records. This family emigrated to the U.S. in 1836.

I would like to know how this family group is related to the other Culys and Copelands in the Cambridgeshire area. I've had no luck finding a birth record for this Ephraim Culy, however, who was born about 1800, or Elizabeth Copeland, born about 1802, based on several U.S. records. An unsourced narrative provided by a Culy cousin in Indiana gives a birth date of 20 April 1800 for Ephraim and 17 July 1801 for Elizabeth. It also gives Ephraim's parents as possibly John Culy and Mary Scouter and Elizabeth's parents as unknown.

I am also interested in knowing what records exist for the parents, siblings, and descendants of the earlier David Culy who founded the Culimite sect. I don't have access to a copy of Trevor Bevis' book on this David Culy.

If anyone can point me toward this information, I'd be very grateful. Also, if birth records for Ephraim and Elizabeth are nowhere to be found, what might be the reasons for this? For example, are records missing for the relevant groups of years?

Finally, are there any descendants of Wisbech-area Culys or Copelands who have had their autosomal DNA tested? If so, I'd like to hear from you. My husband tested with FamilyTreeDNA a few years ago, and his results have also been uploaded to GEDmatch.com. His name on FTDNA is Nicholas John Cafarelli, and his kit number on GEDmatch is F242901.

Thanks!