Author Topic: The Haddon Grave at Heworth  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Palform

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jack at the bottom of a very tall beanstalk
    • View Profile
The Haddon Grave at Heworth
« on: Saturday 16 January 10 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Family lore relates to the Haddon tomb in St Mary’s churchyard at Heworth.  My great grandmother was Elizabeth Haddon, dau of Joseph Haddon, baptised 1816 in Heworth, who was the son of George Haddon and Elizabeth Ramsay. I have seen the tomb; a four poster bed with three children in it and appears to date back to the early 1700’s although the inscriptions have deteriorated.  I have been unable to prove a link to this family because of gaps in the parish registers.  Another puzzle is the inscription on the tomb for John Brown Makepeace who died in 1879 age 73 and I have been unsuccessful with connecting these families. The Haddon’s were stonemasons and the above John Brown Makepeace was a successful businessman, a butcher, a ship owner and also a census enumerator. Were the earlier Makepeace family affluent to pay for such a grand monumental tomb and the Haddon stonemasons the builders? 
Co Durham: Auckland St Helen, Bedburn, Bishop Middleham, Castleside, Consett, Dipton, Durham City, Elwick, Heworth, Hexham, Holwick, Iveston, Lanchester, Merrington, Middleton in Teesdale, Romaldirk, Stanhope, Witton Gilbert, Tanfield, West Auckland, Witton le Wear
Northumberland: Allendale, Corbridge, Earsdon, Ford,  Longbenton, Newburn, North Sunderland, Ponteland, Seaton Delaval.
Yorkshire: Ripon

Offline granger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Haddon Grave at Heworth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 01:44 GMT (UK) »
The children were, William, George and a sister ( name unknown) Haddon.  The story is they died in a fire but their death dates on the tomb go from 1711 to 1717.  It was built by their father Joseph Haddon a stonemason who died 1721 age 42.     Granger