Author Topic: John Fraser from Dores or Congash  (Read 11698 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Fraser from Dores or Congash
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 January 10 17:15 GMT (UK) »
You still haven't told us what John Fraser's fathers name and occupation was on his Welsh marriage cert. 

Come on - don't keep us in suspense any longer .................

If it was James and he was a carpenter - then the 1851 entry I posted way back up the board is the right family
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline madfrankie23

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 January 10 17:59 GMT (UK) »
You still haven't told us what John Fraser's fathers name and occupation was on his Welsh marriage cert. 

Come on - don't keep us in suspense any longer .................

If it was James and he was a carpenter - then the 1851 entry I posted way back up the board is the right family

ok firstly there's a place called Easter Boleskine? which is on the west bank of loch ness and is about 6 miles away from Dores....secondly, i have just got john fraser's marriage cert, married elizabeth griffiths when he was 26, in 1873, and his occupation looks like 'weigher in ironworks...his father, james fraser, is listed as a joiner!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 January 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Bingo - so he is the one on the 1851

Here's the 1861 for Dores (did you notice that mum Catherine was b Boleskine in 1851)

All b Dores except Catherine

James Fraser 52 carpenter
Catherine Fraser 45 b Boleskine
Catherine Fraser 18
John Fraser 14
James Fraser 12
Donald Fraser 10
William Fraser 8
Jessie Fraser 6
Elizabeth Fraser 4
Dores ED 3 Page  10 Line 14

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 January 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
son of James Fraser and Catherine Fraser (nee Chisholm), about 1846/47

Where did you get Catherine's maiden name from?

See 1851 census entry re: daughter Catherine - then this submitted IGI entry

CATHERINE FRASER   Birth:  01 SEP 1841  Christening:  24 SEP 1841   Dores, Inverness   Father:  JAMES FRASER    Mother:  CATHERINE CAMERON 

Extracted record

JAMES FRASER    Spouse:  CATHARINE CAMERON   Marriage:  12 DEC 1839   Boleskine, Inverness

Submitted entry - some differences

JAMES FRASER   Spouse:  CATHERINE CAMERON   Marriage:  11 DEC 1839   Dores, Inverness

Offline madfrankie23

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 January 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
son of James Fraser and Catherine Fraser (nee Chisholm), about 1846/47

Where did you get Catherine's maiden name from?

See 1851 census entry re: daughter Catherine - then this submitted IGI entry

CATHERINE FRASER   Birth:  01 SEP 1841  Christening:  24 SEP 1841   Dores, Inverness   Father:  JAMES FRASER    Mother:  CATHERINE CAMERON 

Extracted record

JAMES FRASER    Spouse:  CATHARINE CAMERON   Marriage:  12 DEC 1839   Boleskine, Inverness

Submitted entry - some differences

JAMES FRASER   Spouse:  CATHERINE CAMERON   Marriage:  11 DEC 1839   Dores, Inverness

Carole, firstly thank you again for your efforts, i can't tell you how much i appreciate your help........ok, i was recently contacted by a relation who is researching our family, she found the dores connection...she also did a search for james and catherine's wedding certificate and sent us what she found.....' 1838 Nov 20th James Fraser Carpenter to Catherine Chisholm.. ***'...pls note the *** signifies a place name i simply cannot read...seems like Achleuthan?
PS if i may draw on your experience, do you think we need to find a birth certificate for John Fraser to be 100% certain all this is correct?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 January 10 19:52 GMT (UK) »
This is the submitted IGI entry

JAMES FRASER   Spouse:  CATHERINE CHISHOLM  Marriage:  20 NOV 1838   Glenmoriston, Inverness, Scotland

If you do a parent search on the IGI (see below) it shows a number of submitted entries but no births in Dores/Boleskine

PARENT SEARCH ON IGI

www.familysearch.org - On home page - click on  “Advanced Search” to the right of the SEARCH button

Select “International Genealogical Index” from the left hand menu

Input fathers name and surname and mothers name and surname (Chisholm)

REGION – select British Isles from the menu

COUNTRY – select Scotland

COUNTY (will appear when you select COUNTRY)  – select Inverness

Click SEARCH

Offline seanc1982

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 February 15 19:22 GMT (UK) »
This is a little strange.  I've not been doing family history stuff for some time but I think madfrankie and I might be quite closely related.

This is what I have (capital letters show that I'm not sure yet but it's looking promising):

James Fraser c1808

James was born to JOHN and JANET in Dores, Invernesshire on 18 FEBRUARY 1808.

He married Catherine CAMERON/CHISHOLM from Dores, Invernesshire on 11 December 1839 in Boleskine.  They lived at Duhallow.

They had eight children: Catherine, Flora, John, James and Donald, William, Jessie and Elizabeth

James was a carpenter and by 1851 he had taken on an apprentice, 20 year old Finlay McGillivray from Dores.

They had one servant, 16 year old Catherine McCrae also from Dores.

John Fraser c1847

John was born to James Fraser, a joiner, and Catherine Cameron/Chisholm in Dores, Invernesshire, Scotland on around 1846/47. 

He had two older sisters: Catherine and Flora; three younger brothers: James, Donald and William; and two younger sisters: Jessie and Elizabeth

John grew up in Dores until his early 20s when he left to be a traffic weigher in various iron works in Wales and Scotland

John met Elizabeth Griffith in Glynneath where they married on 16 May 1873 and lived together on Oddfellows Stret.

John and Elizabeth had four children.

His first three children: Catherine, Rees Griffith (named after Elizabeth’s father) and James were born in Wales.  However, the family moved to Tradeston Street (then Dale Street) in Glasgow city centre in the early 1880s and this is where Margaret was born in 1883.

By 1891 the family had moved out of the city to Westburn Drive in an area of Glasgow called Cambuslang, where they had a lodger.

By 1901 the family was back in Wales and living in 7 Sanquhar Street in Cardiff but by this time Catherine was no longer living at home DON'T KNOW IF SHE MARRIED/DIED/OTHER.

James Fraser

James was born to John Fraser and Elizabeth Griffith on Christmas Eve 1877 in Landore, Plasmarl, north of Swansea.

By his third birthday he had been moved to Glasgow with his older siblings: Catherine and Rees Griffith (named after Elizabeth's late father).

James lived in Scotland from infancy until his early 20s when the family returned to Wales, this time to Cardiff.  He followed his father as a weigher. 

James met Sarah Ann Allen at some time around 1905 with their son John James Allen being born around this time.  They got married a few years later on Christmas Day, the day after James’ 31st birthday in 1909 by which time he had become a yard foreman. 

By 1911 James, Sarah and their son John were living at 36 Singleton Road in Splott.

Their second son, Hector was born four years later.

Hector was my grandfather (although he died before I was born).

If you would like to get in touch

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 February 15 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seanc,

I am very sorry but your reply to Madfrankie23 has sadly bounced back to us, it looks like they have changed email address :-\

I have tried googling the information given when registering but sadly I have not managed to find an alternative way of contacting this user.

I have removed your email address as this how spammer collect addresses, any user can contact you by replying to your posts or by sending you a private message.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk