Author Topic: Stewart's of Appin Geneology  (Read 10115 times)

Offline whatfore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stewart's of Appin Geneology
« on: Monday 18 January 10 01:13 GMT (UK) »
I begin the task of tracing all Stewart's of Appin who emminate from Reverend Dr. Alexander Stewart "Nether Lochaber"
, Onich & Ballachulish. Any assistance will be most greatly appreciated. I am his Great, Great Grandson, living in Melbourne Australia. My family is the last male direct bloodline and hopefully will continue with my Son and Grandson.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart's of Appin Geneology
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 10 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Good morning...
There is a member on GenesReunited.co.uk who has Alexander Stewart in his tree, his name is Malcom and he also has
James
Dugald
Duncan
John
I don`t know whether you are aware but in 1448 the town is known as APPIN...prior to that it was
 APPIN STEWART....anyway, there are 100 Stewart family members in trees on GenesReunited all from Appin from 1440 to 1952....so it would appear there are quite a few "rellies" out there for you to research..
There seems to be family still there that you never knew about....good luck....allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Whatfore

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

What information have you been able to gather to date? Have you obtained census information and BMD certificates for the immediate family?

There is are a wealth of entries on Google for the works of Rev. Dr Alexander Stewart (1829-1901), surprisingly little though on his family and descendants.

He and his wife Mary Janet (Jessie) Morrison look to have had 3 children : Fassifern (Fairfax) 1854 and twins Kenneth (possibly married a Marjorie Fletcher McKenzie) and Christina in 1855, following their marriage in 1852. Given mother Mary J.'s age, I think these are all the children they had. Not sure which line you are descended from but possibly Kenneth's line given one son shows as having migrated to Australia?

Likely marriage for eldest daughter Fassiefern Cameron Stewart to a William Bain in 1891 in Kilmore and Kilbride.

Some links to info on the family:

http://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I45646&tree=Fasti

From Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Alexander's entry for Wills & Testaments:

Alexander Stewart: 09/07/1901 - LL.D., MINISTER, PARISH OF BALLACHULISH, D. 17/01/1901 AT BALLACHULISH, TESTATE at INVERNESS SHERIFF COURT  Ref:   SC29/44/42

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whatfore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou,garstonite & monicalesl for your information and referals to help in my search.
Alister (Alexander - Alick) Morrison Stewart, Ballachulish, migrated to Australia with his wife Janet Kennedy,Dunkeld, my Grandparents, at the end of 1919, I think, as my father Alexander Kenneth Stewart was born in Coburg, Melbourne Australia 24/12/1920.
Am putting together the Australian line, but would love somebody to provide links to the Canadian Line of David who was as I understand a Bank Manager in Montreal.
Will keep chatting and posting,
Slainte',

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 09:32 GMT (UK) »
There is a small family tree on Ancestry following your direct line. Some dates from there that you could use to verify movements/events:

July 1918 - marriage to Janet Kennedy in Kensington London*
25 Sept 1919 - emigration to Melbourne
27 Nov 1959 - death in Melbourne

* Marriage entry shows on FreeBmd as Alexander W Stewart and Jannet Kennedy, 3rd Qrt - Kensington Vol. 1a Pg. 432

You haven't provided any details on the David you are trying to find out more about (Bank Manager in Montreal). Any info you have on him would help people trying to do any searches for you  :)

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whatfore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 April 10 04:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the info posted.
Monica, I have copy of the Alexander Morrison (W is a mistake, miss read M) Stewart  to Janet Kenned Kensington London. They are the immigrants to Australia and my Grand Parents. Their family Alexander (my father) Estelle (deceased), Stanley, Joan, Charles, Ian (deceased) Janet & David.
The only male issue was by my parents, Alexander Kenneth & Violet Isobel - Ian Kenneth (self),
Morrison Alexander (deceased aged 3years), Isobel Anne & Glenda Margaret.
We all live in Victoria Australia.
My next task is to now detail the Australian lineage and post it for others interest.
There are still 4th. / 5th. Cousins living in Scotland and England. I will try to post all the geneology links that I have soon.
I visited and 5 other times since 1975 Canada but could not contact David's Wife (as they divorced some years earlier). I am trying to find there address etc. I once had. I do know there were no children from their marriage.
I am in contact with Carol Buck a relative from Kenneths Wife Marjory McKenzie's side and hope to gain more info over time. yours Ian K Stewart.

Offline Les Horn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 October 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Don't know how much further you have got with the Stewarts but I was browsing Billion Graves and came across an entry for David Kenneth Stewart in Woodland Cemetery, Burlington Ontario.

My interest in the Stewarts ?  'Nether Lochaber' was the Minister in our church in Onich, Inverness-shire.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
Have you read Somerled MacMillan's "Bygone Lochaber!" ?

Skoosh.

Offline Les Horn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
Indeed I have