Author Topic: Llanon and the Bowen Family  (Read 7189 times)

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llanon and the Bowen Family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 August 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hallo Glanymor
It has been a long time since I looked at the Bowen records so I have having difficulty getting my head round your message.
I dont understand how the David who is the father of William Bowen  can be the David Bowen in my tree who was born in 1797 and married Ruth Morgan  in 1826 as you say.  Am I missing the point here?
Additionally I havent seen a William carried forward in the census records associated with David 1797
Norman

Offline glanymor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
You are right. There is no definite proof here. All I have is William's christening information, the fact that his father is David Bowen (tailor) on his marriage certificate (witnessed by Thomas Bowen, by the way) and that there are no other likely David Bowens on the 1841 census. By this time, William is about 17 and working on farm near Llanelly. A Morgan family lived next to Dyffryn Helyg and this is also close to Caanan, where William was born. The censuses tend to indicate that William was born in 1824or 1825 so that he would have been 1 or 2 at the time of his christening. There is no recorded marriage for David and Mary Morgan. Maybe Mary had died by 1826 and David then married Ruth?...just guessing!
Which one of David's children is in your direct line?

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.
As you say the death of Mary and the marriage to Ruth would be a nice tidy way to go forward. Are there Llanon death records available for this period?
You ask for the link back for my work (I am researching for a friend). It goes back to David and Ruth by their son Thomas 1836.
Norman

Offline maning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 September 10 01:17 BST (UK) »
Llannon Parish Records have the christening of William Bowen of Caanan, father David Bowen and mother Mary Morgan, in December 1826. This William is my gg grandfather. The Parish Records also have David Bowen marrying Ruth Morgan in September 1826. I suspect that this is the same David Bowen, as William says his father is David Bowen (tailor) on his marriage certificate.

Offline maning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 September 10 01:27 BST (UK) »
David Bowen was the first child of John Bowen and Mary Thomas who married in 1796. David had a number of brothers and sisters. Catherine Abt. 1799, Daniel Abt. 1802, Edward Abt. 1804, Morgan Abt. 1807, Hannah Abt. 1810, Sarah Abt. 1813, Mary Abt. 1815. Daniel was my gg grand father. I have five children for David Bowen but not a William?