Author Topic: Charles McDowall - Kirkinner  (Read 5471 times)

Offline mizhelenuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles McDowall - Kirkinner
« on: Tuesday 19 January 10 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Looking for info on Charles McDowall who married Helen Patterson (Paterson) on April 10, 1825, and who died (I believe) in 1837. My research has led me to believe he was born around 1800 in Kirkinner, but I'm having a problem getting any further with regard to his parents. Any help would most gratefully received!

Thanks,
Helen

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles McDowall - Kirkinner
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Does their marriage entry give an more information such as father's name or witnesses?

As you have a year of death do you have a headstone inscription or burial record?

Could the children's names give clues to the granparents? Were they given middle names?

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline mizhelenuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsty, and thanks for replying!

Sadly their marriage entry in the OPR is very scanty - just basic names and a date, and Charles' burial is not recorded in the OPR and he died before 1855. Helen's death cert. gives basic info saying Charles was a crofter and deceased, and although I know there is a headstone in Kirkinner kirkyard, I don't have any way at present of visiting to get a picture. The children have no middle names other than their daughter Mary, who was lumbered with the name Mary van Agnew McDowall, bless her heart. I'm looking into the name Agnew, but no luck yet.

Helen

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I have seen the Van Agnew name used in other families as middle names around this area. None of them were mine so I didn't pay that close attention I'm afraid.

High Wallis's middle names site does have another "Van Agnew" middle name in Wigtownshire.

Peter Van Agnew McKenzie ch. 1832 Kinkinner.

He may be related. It might be worth looking his family up on the census records in case there are common surnames. Sometimes you can get to Grandparents through cousins.

Kirsty

edit: the others I had seen were Vans/Vanse Agnew  they are listed under Agnew if you search Wigtownshire  http://www.rootschat.com/links/07w4/   
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline James McKinnell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 21:58 BST (UK) »
From James McKinnell, York, PA
Charles McDowall and Helen Patterson are my great-great grandparents, the parents of my great grandmother, Jessie McDowall McKinnell.  On a gravestone in cemetery at the Kirkinner parish church I found information on them.  In my ancestral record I have: 18. Charles McDowall born  1771 to unknown parents. Died 1836.  Married Helen Patterson.  They had seven children of which of which Jessie was sixth born (other known names: John McDowell and Mary McDowall Kirkpatrick. Charles was a farmer and cattle dealer.
19.Helen Patterson born 1802, died 22 February 1872. She married Charles McDowall, who was 31 years older than her, leaving her a widow shortly after the birth of their seventh child.  Known names of chldren, John, Mary Kirkpatrick, and Jessie McKinnell
22 Oct 1819 Charles McDowall and Helen Patterson in Barwhannie had a daughter born to them and Baptised on October 22 1819 named Ann (I don't know if this post is the same Charles and Helen).

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Goodness, you haven't looked very far for the origin of the name! The Vans Agnew family was one of the principal families of Wigtownshire with properties at Sheuchan and Barnbarroch and may people worked on the estates or were in some other way connected to them by social ties. Some children christened '- Vans Agnew' may have been illegitimate offspring of the family I suppose, or were simply called that in homage to the family.

Anyway, that's where the name come from - Vans Agnew, with an s on the Vans, by the way.

Regards,
Jamie.

I have seen the Van Agnew name used in other families as middle names around this area.