Author Topic: Watty Graham  (Read 11432 times)

Offline Mo37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Watty Graham
« on: Tuesday 17 March 09 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if anyone knows the names of Watty Graham's 2 children. The Watty Graham in question is the one hanged in Maghera 1798. I am related to him in some way and would like to know through which of his children. My mother, grandmother and great grandmother were all given the middle name Graham because of the family connection. I can't get back farther than my great grandmother whose maiden name was McKay.
Thanks
Mo
Stirrett, Service, Kerr, Laughlin - Antrim
Killough, McKay, Neely Armstrong - Kilrea
Rankin,Love, McNeely - Bready/Strabane
Burling - Cambridge
Irwin, Gault - Limavady

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watty Graham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   There is an article on the BBC website "Your Place and Mine" on the Maghera Church and in the responses there are several people who claim to be descended from Watty Graham. If you can contact these they may be able to help.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Mo37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your fast reply. I've been to that article and in fact I'm one of the people who left a post and hoped to hear from some of the others there. I've had no reply from anyone.

Regards
Mo
Burling - Cambridge
Irwin, Gault - Limavady

Offline Mo37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Watty Graham
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I found a reference to a book 'Ulster in '98: episodes and anecdotes'. When I looked through it there is a poem on Page 60/61 called Watty Grimes 1798.  Am I right in thinking that this poem is about Watty Graham. He is a distant relative although I can't find exactly how he is related. Does anyone know what his children were called?
Mo
Burling - Cambridge
Irwin, Gault - Limavady

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mo

Sorry I can't help with the names of his children, but I have a book called "Famous Maghera Men" by Eoin Walsh which also includes extracts from a poem called "Watty Grimes" in the chapter on Watty Graham.  Assuming it's the same poem, it IS about your relative but Eoin Walsh notes some factual inaccuracies in the version of events in the poem so don't rely too heavily on it.  The book mentions Watty's "wife and family" but unfortunately no names are given.

BTW I also have a personal connection to the case as a distant relative of the man who arrested him :-X

Offline Mo37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Akanex2

Thanks for the info. The Watty Graham GAA club also have a history page on Watty which mentions his wife and 2 children, but no names are given. I know he is related because in my Great Grandmother's obituary it says she is a descendant of the famous Watty Graham. My mother, grandmother and great grandmother were all given the middle name Graham because of the relationship.

Mo
Burling - Cambridge
Irwin, Gault - Limavady

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 January 10 00:05 GMT (UK) »
You've already started a thread about names of Watty Graham's children so will merge the two to avoid any more duplication.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kitni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 March 10 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mo

Sorry I can't help with the names of his children, but I have a book called "Famous Maghera Men" by Eoin Walsh which also includes extracts from a poem called "Watty Grimes" in the chapter on Watty Graham.  Assuming it's the same poem, it IS about your relative but Eoin Walsh notes some factual inaccuracies in the version of events in the poem so don't rely too heavily on it.  The book mentions Watty's "wife and family" but unfortunately no names are given.

BTW I also have a personal connection to the case as a distant relative of the man who arrested him :-X

Offline kitni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 March 10 00:30 GMT (UK) »
hi there, have been researching the history of maghera for a few years for a new book i am writing about the town.  i know the town was garrisoned by the Airshire yeomanry and a detachment of the londonderry militia but the name of the officer who captured watty eludes me could he have been the young capt lamont? :)