Author Topic: Watty Graham  (Read 11435 times)

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Watty Graham
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 March 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
The officer who arrested Watty Graham was Capt James Church of the Grove.  He was born in 1756 at Myroe near Limavady and was commissioned in the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment on 15 Dec 1780.  In 1796 he left the regular army and took up a commission in the Londonderry Yeomanry while living at the Grove between Kilrea and Garvagh. In this role he lead the men who arrested Watty Graham at Magilligan in 1798.  He married Thomasina Simon of Lisburn and died at Bellaghy in 1831.  My gt gt gt gt grandfather was his younger brother.

Offline kitni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 March 10 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, when researching the roles of officers and enlisted men at the time it proved a tad difficult to come across any records of the regular or irregular units in maghera at the time of the troubled year. i was born myself in one of the oldest houses in maghera, Victoria house in hall street and was always told that it bordered the yeomanry barracks at the time. 
as a child i can remember playing around the wall that adjoined the old lookout tower but was never aloud to go into it, as it was to dangerous and was in a state of disrepair. i am starting my research from the sixth century to the start of the nineteenth century and will take me a few years, lol.

Offline robin20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 23:51 BST (UK) »
Watty Graham eldest child was Sarah born in 1792. After the death of her father she emigrated to America with her Mother and Sister but returned to Maghera to live with her Grandfather, James Graham who died in 1812. In 1823 she married a Henry Taylor. I have no record of the name of the second daughter

Offline robin20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 23:55 BST (UK) »
Watty Graham was my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather

Offline Mo37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 April 10 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin

Where did you find information on Watty Graham and his family? I am related but not sure how. The furthest back I can get is my great great grandfather who was called James McKay. His daughter was given the middle name Graham because of their relationship to Watty. She in turn gave her daughter that middle name and she passed it on to her daughter who was my mother. I have no older relations left now to ask questions of and have been unable to find any information on line. Any help would be gratefully received.
Regards
Mo
Stirrett, Service, Kerr, Laughlin - Antrim
Killough, McKay, Neely Armstrong - Kilrea
Rankin,Love, McNeely - Bready/Strabane
Burling - Cambridge
Irwin, Gault - Limavady

Offline robin20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 April 10 13:44 BST (UK) »
my Paternal Grandmother was a Taylor and I have a family tree going back to James Graham, the father of Watty Graham. It is not by any means complete. I too have Graham as my second Christain name as does my Father and the name Graham appears in each generation. However the name James McKay does not appear on the records i have

Offline Mo37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin

I've just had a look at my great grandmother's obituary. She was Ruth Graham McKay (married to Robert Killough). It says on it she was the great great granddaughter of the famous Walter Graham. Among the mourners mentioned as relatives are Hugh and Henry Taylor. Do you have any knowledge of these Taylors. Other surnames mentioned as relatives are Irwin, Burnside and Graham. The death was in June 1928. I can try to scan you a copy of the obituary if this would help. It is in fairly good condition in a scrapbook that belonged to my grandmother.
Regards Mo
Stirrett, Service, Kerr, Laughlin - Antrim
Killough, McKay, Neely Armstrong - Kilrea
Rankin,Love, McNeely - Bready/Strabane
Burling - Cambridge
Irwin, Gault - Limavady

Offline robin20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 12:19 BST (UK) »
my great great grandfather was Henry Taylor who was born in 1825 and married Elizabeth Jane Wallace. They emigrated to New York in the 1850's. They had 4 children (Robert Hugh Taylor, Graham Taylor, Henry Taylor and John Taylor). Henry Taylor was my Great Grandfather and returned to Ireland when he inherited Reastown House from his Grandfather, Henry Taylor who had married Watty Grahams daughter Sarah

Offline jhcousins4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 September 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
My second great grandmother is Maria A. McKay (1848 - 1930), who married John Cousins (1844-1900).  My family has long had a photo of John Hamilton Killough, and I assume the connection is through the Grahams. Are Ruth Graham McKay and Maria McKay sisters?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jhcousins