Author Topic: Glendining Family, Ashgrove, Sevenoaks  (Read 24177 times)

Offline ashleyj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glendining Family, Ashgrove, Sevenoaks
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 January 10 16:02 GMT (UK) »
All I can say is a big thank you so far Mary. As I said at the beginning, this is the first time I have ever tried this sort of research and really appreciate your help.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 January 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Are you able, from your Archives, to confirm the burial dates for Alexander, Ada and Louisa?

The death I have found for Ada is Q1 1853 in the Portsea, Hampshire registration distrist.

Does it make sense that Sophia Elizabeth Glendining's death was Q2 1843 Brighton, Sussex, yet she's not on the vault with the others?

and if the following marriages took place in your church, are you able to confirm the witnesses and father's names in order to confirm that I have the right marriages?

Sidney Glendining married Q3 1856 to Emily Jane Perkins
John Boyd Saunders to Lily Glendining Q1 1852 Sevenoaks
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline ashleyj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 22 January 10 13:19 GMT (UK) »
My apologies, I don't know why I thought Louisa was in the vault it is indeed Ada, Sophia and their father. I have the death certificates for the girls and your details are correct. As for the marriages, the registers for this period must be at the Centre for Kentish Studies, i.e. the archives in Maidstone. I haven't been for there for ages but will add these checks to my list for next time.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 January 10 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Oh don't worry, I'm assuming I am correct, although that's a very bad thing to do, I just hope I don't fall down.

1881 was a lucky chance

14 Roxburgh Road, St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent
Edward W Seath, a 25 year old Grocer shopman (out of employ) born Herne Bay, Kent and his wife Jane 24, Sturry, Kent and children Violet Mable 2, Birchington and Lilian C 6 months, Westgate in Sea, have visiting them
David A Ogden Visitor M 42 Captain 14th Regiment active born Canada
Emily Ogden Visitor 26 Tunbridge Wells
Charles G son 1 Aden
Julia Isabell Saunders Sister in Law Un 27 India
and servants
RG11; Piece:  984; Folio:  46; Page:  11

Unfortunately I don't see a marriage for David Ogden and Emily Saunders but perhaps they married abroad, but I do believe because of the birthplace and the presence of Julia Isabella that these are the correct sisters.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 January 10 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, 1891
7 High Street, Tottenham, Middlesex
William Rook, a widowed dairyman and his family
George E Richards Boarder S 24 Butcher Berks Windsor
(I only mention him because of the coincidence of the name Richards - Fanny Richards was niece of Sarah Glendining - see 1871)
Emily Ogden Boarder Wid 36 Living on her own means Kent Tunbridge Wells
Beatrice E " Boarder 6 C. Islands Guernsey
Henry B " " 3 C. Islands Alderney
RG12; Piece:  1079; Folio  107; Page  21

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 January 10 14:01 GMT (UK) »
In 1901 Beatrice E Ogden is 16 and a pupil in Elmslea, Lordship Lane, Tottenham, Middlesex.
RG13; Piece:  1246; Folio:  163; Page:  30

Possible death for Emily Ogden Q1 1892 Wandsworth 1d 630 age 39, maybe somebody might be able to contradict me on that if Wandsworth is the wrong registration district.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 January 10 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Just making a note of the James, Julia and Minna who were visiting Sarah Glendining in 1891, I was hoping the names would have fitted with our family but I'm not so sure.

James Christie[r] Traill married Julia Lamborde 6 August 1857   Sevenoaks, Kent
Sarah appears to have a sister Eleanor who married in 1854 and their father was William.

Do you know what Sarah, wife of Alexander's maiden name was?

Offline ashleyj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 January 10 14:51 GMT (UK) »
That's an easy one - Heald. They were a family from the Manchester area with money in Calico Mills, Alexander effectively married into Sarah's money.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 January 10 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Ah!! I've been on a name collecting mission - looking for the Fanny Richards born Offwell, who I haven't found, but the family living there are William Richards who married Harriet Fry in 1836.  I suspect she must belong to them but can't link it together at present.

But Heald .... I'm sure we've come across that name - yes in the 1881 census with Sarah, must be a relative Rachael, unmarried 42 born Manchester, well I suspect she's not the mother of Fanny.