Author Topic: Glendining Family, Ashgrove, Sevenoaks  (Read 24214 times)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Glendining Family, Ashgrove, Sevenoaks
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 23 January 10 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Interesting information
The Manchester Times and Gazette (Manchester, England), Saturday, July 11, 1840 -
Partnerships Dissolved
Alexander Glendining, John Coates, Nicholas Heald, and John Wilson of Manchester calico printers (so far as regards John Coates).
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 23 January 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
We have another marriage!

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Friday, February 16, 1866
HALL-HEALD February 13th at the Unitarian Chapel, Hale, Cheshire by the Reverend A.M Creary, John elder son of the late John Hall, Esq. of Manchester to Kate, youngest daughter of Nicholas Heald Esq. of Bowdon, Cheshire.

and the one mentioned on that website I gave the link for
Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Saturday, October 31, 1874
HEALD-KRABBE On the evening of 15th inst. at St John's Church, Buenos Ayres, by the Rev. Francis Smith, M.A., Walter second son of Nicholas Heald, of Bowdon, Cheshire, to Emily Isabel, second daughter of Charles Brehmer Krabbe of Buenos Ayres.

Well that tells us where his son got his name from!

and a death
Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Friday, May 25, 1894
HEALD - on 20th inst. aged 60 years, May, eldest daughter of Nicholas Heald of Bowdon, Cheshire.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 23 January 10 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Let's try the Halls

1871 Groly? Place, Altrincham, Cheshire
John Hall Head M 36 Iron Merchant Lancashire Manchester
Kate Wife M 28 " "
Katherine Mary Hall daur 4 Cheshire Altrincham
Edith Byfield Hall daur 2 " "
John Hall son 1 " "
and servants
RG10; Piece:  3682; Folio:  142; Page:  40

1881 Sandal Grange, Sandal Magna, Yorkshire
William T Marriot is 59 Colliery Proprietor Yorkshire Wakefield and his wife, Mary B 51 Manchester, and children William H 26 a Worsted Spinner, Mary E 24, and Harriet K 21, children born Wakefield
Elizabeth B Hall Sister in Law Unm 54 Manchester
John Bro in Law 46 Iron Merchant Manchester
Kate Sister in Law 38 Manchester
and servants
RG11; Piece:  4571; Folio:  103; Page:  11

the children seem to have been left at home at The Grange, Hale, Cheshire
Katharine M Hall daur 14 Altrincham, Cheshire
Edith B daur 12 " "
John son 11 " "
Constance M daur 7 " "
Margaret E daur 5 Hale "
Ernest B son 3 " "
There were staff to look after them, Governess, Nurse, cook etc.
RG11; Piece:  3506; Folio:  28; Page:  22

1891 The Grange, Hale, Cheshire
John Hall Head M 56 Iron Merchant Lancashire Manchester
Kate Wife M 48 " "
John Son S 21 (with father) Cheshire Altrincham
Katharine M daur S 24 " "
Edith B daur S 22 " "
Constance M daur S 17 " "
Margaret E daur S 15 " Hale
and servants
RG12; Piece:  2825; Folio  72; Page  3

1901 The Grange, Hale, Cheshire
Kate Hall Head Wid 58 Lancashire Pendleton
Edith B daur S 32 Cheshire Altrincham
Constance M daur S 27 " "
Ernest B son S 23 Iron Merchant (Employer) Cheshire Hale
and Servants
RG13; Piece:  3324; Folio:  92; Page:  51.

Daily News (London, England), Saturday, January 2, 1897
WILLS AND BEQUESTS
The Will with a Codicil of Mr John Hall of The Grange, Hale near Chester and of 64 Port Street, Manchester, iron merchant who died on Nov 1, was proved on Dec 16 by Mrs Kate Hall, the widow, one of the executors, the value of the personal estate amounting to 83,520.

Ernest Byfield Hall married Emma Letitia Clegg Q1 1907 Bucklow 8a 259
Children Ernest Nicholas born 1908 and William Byfield 1910,

By 1911 Constance M is living in Malling, Kent, don't know what she's doing I'm afraid.

and Edith doesn't seem to have married as there is a death for Edith Byfield Hall in 1971 Stockport, Cheshire.

I believe Kate died in 1932 age 89.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 23 January 10 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Snippets collected around the internet about the Halls

From The Staffordshire Encyclopedia, Staffordshire's History Online
Church Memorials - Hale
CHURCH. St Mary MEMORIALS Two boards have disappeared, ....... Ernest Byfield Hall of Hales Hall d1955. IN THE CHURCHYARD. Modern chest-tomb with coat of arms - Nora Constance Hall d1916 aged 9 months, William Byfield Hall d1937 aged 27, Emma Byfield Hall d1946, Ernest Byfield Hall d1953.

From the Irish Berry Genealogy site by Robert Fleetwood Berry
Susanna Natalie Osgood ......... married William Byfield Hall, b. 6 Sept 1910, d. 9 Oct 1937.  died during operation. No children.  She went on to marry Malcolm Kelty McLeod, their children would be too far distant for your interests I think.

It's a very common name so without the "Byfield" we wouldn't have had much luck at all.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 23 January 10 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Don't know what you think but I think I've come to the end of any lines that I can follow forward without help.  Please use that link I gave above and contact the owner of the site, I believe he will be able to put you in touch with other researchers of the Healds. 

I hope you have some luck and please let me know if you find a descendant who will be interested in your vault.

This thread will be fairly near the top of any google searches so if anybody else is researching these names they should find it useful.

Good luck
Mary

Offline lythamer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 27 December 13 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I know this is a while ago but do you know the address on West Beach Lytham they lived at as my gt gt grandmother name of Anne Sutterby ran a lodging house at number 8 in 1871 maybe she was also there in 1861

Offline josien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 27 February 15 08:47 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you are still investigating this line, but I am a 'Heald' descendant and would be glad to help if I can.

Offline YvetteAA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I've just seen your post whilst doing a bit of research myself. A chap called Alexander Glendenning owned (but not lived in) our farm in 1838 I believe...and I also think it's his son lying in your tomb. Looking at 1861, I'm pretty sure he had a wife called Sarah and together they had a daughter called Lily and then your Alexander. 

I'm wondering where Ashgrove is? ...and is it linked to Nizels estate?  as our farm was sold as part of the Nizels estate in 1919.

Any thoughts anyone ?  Thank you in advance, Yvette