Author Topic: Penkhull Street  (Read 11206 times)

Offline Etsi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Penkhull Street
« on: Thursday 21 January 10 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I’ve recently received a copy of my mother’s birth certificate, so I now know where in Newcastle-under-Lyme she was born.

It seems that she was born at the address where my grandparents were living at that time (1921):   2 Penkhull Street.

I’ve now done some searches on the internet, but it looks as if that address doesn’t exist anymore.
Can anyone give me some help with this – where is this street/what’s there now etc? Any info will be much appreciated.

Also, it’s thought that both of my grandparents may have worked at an armature winding factory or workshop in the area (possibly Hanley).
Any ideas on where that might have been.

Regards,
Les

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Penkhull Street
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 10 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les

Welcome to Rootschat!!  ;D

Have a look at http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/engine/search/default.asp

use the keyword search box.....when you click to view an image there's a "view location" option this will show you the street on a modern map....

Hope this helps!

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 January 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm slightly puzzled because the following site suggests Penkhull Street was renamed High Street
http://www.thepotteries.org/postcards/newcastle/5.htm
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 January 10 15:36 GMT (UK) »
It is on the 1911 census so the postcard site must be incorrect??
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline griffo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 10 17:45 GMT (UK) »
It is on the 1911 census so the postcard site must be incorrect??

The name was changed from Penkull Street to High Street, and it was the main thoroughfare through Newcastle until the 60`s when the A34 was built around the town to ease the traffic problems.Hope this answers your Query.
  Cheers Griffo

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 January 10 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Griffo.

Offline Etsi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you all for the information already given – much appreciated.

However, I’ve now found that there was a Penkhull Street in Stoke and I was wondering if that could be the address I’m looking for.
This has been renamed as St. Thomas Place.

http://www.thepotteries.org/streets/re_dist_11.htm

Would that area come under the Newcastle under Lyme registration district?

The details on the birth cert are:

Registration District:   Newcastle under Lyme
1921 Birth in the Sub-district of Newcastle under Lyme
Where born:   2 Penkhull Street, Newcastle

So it seems more likely that it would be what is now High Street. Would you agree?
The only clue I have is that my mother remembers that number 2 was a Guest House or a Boarding House at the time (1921/1925).

Has anyone got any thoughts about the armature winding (probably in the Hanley area) around that time?

Thanks again,
Les

Offline griffo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 January 10 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you all for the information already given – much appreciated.
Hi again. if the Certificate says Newcastle Disrict then the Penkhull Street is the Newcastle one Now the High Street, as Newcastle has never been in Stoke on Trent as it was in existence long before S.O.T. and its Full Title is the Loyal and Ancient Borough of Newcastle Under Lyme. Cheers Griffo

However, I’ve now found that there was a Penkhull Street in Stoke and I was wondering if that could be the address I’m looking for.
This has been renamed as St. Thomas Place.

http://www.thepotteries.org/streets/re_dist_11.htm

Would that area come under the Newcastle under Lyme registration district?

The details on the birth cert are:

Registration District:   Newcastle under Lyme
1921 Birth in the Sub-district of Newcastle under Lyme
Where born:   2 Penkhull Street, Newcastle

So it seems more likely that it would be what is now High Street. Would you agree?
The only clue I have is that my mother remembers that number 2 was a Guest House or a Boarding House at the time (1921/1925).

Has anyone got any thoughts about the armature winding (probably in the Hanley area) around that time?

Thanks again,
Les

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
As a resident of Penhull village and a Potter :) born and breed etc. I can confirm that Penkhull St is St Thomas place. It is a short section of road running from what was the old village centre and blending with Honeywall by the old Grove School. Originally it was part of the main road running down into Stoke-upon-Trent. Penkhull straddles the border between Stoke and Newcastle-u-Lyme and dates back to Celtic times. Although part of Stoke-on-Trent it still has a rural feel and as a child in the 60's I remembered cattle being herderd through the streets to Penkhull Farm.

Hope that helps.
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury